Bates Motel on A&E - Anyone Watching? *

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by rockclassics, Mar 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Maybe it will lead to something but I think it was just meant to be an homage to the scene from Psycho where a cop stops Marion -- some suspense as she's fleeing with the money. They thought he had the right stern look (and voice) to play a version of that character.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
    Lewisboogie likes this.
  2. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I'd forgotten that scene in the movie. Cuse has the right look and voice, and it's also a bit Hitchcockian for him to appear. . . ;)

MikeInFla likes this.
  3. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

The movie was on TCM before the last show and it was nice to see Norman's behavior and mannerisms. Freddie Highmore has most of the "looks" and mannerisms. I want Norman to make it through this so they can have the potential for another short series.

MikeInFla likes this.
  4. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

I noticed that Norman has been munching on candy corns this season, too -- nice touch.

MikeInFla and Lewisboogie like this.
  5. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

It would be interesting to poll the members of this thread on whether they think Norman lives or dies by the end of this season.

I lean toward him not making it.

6. rburly

I agree that it seems like there's almost no way he gets away live. After watching the movie last Sunday though, I wanted him to make it until he's older which would keep the character alive. Again, maybe they could do a reboot sometime in the future with a completely different story lines that others can enjoy.

7. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

I was sick last week and stuck on the couch I decided to finally watch the original 'Psycho' film... couldn't have picked a better time to do it prior to Monday's episode.

I'm thinking Norman lives and is committed to a forensic psychiatric hospital.

rburly likes this.
  8. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Oh I think he'll live, and somehow end up a mental institution under the care of Dr. Edwards.

9. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I get the sense the creators want elements of the show to be same but in the end totally different. I could see an ending where it appears Norman is dead but in a way where they could write him back to life later on if they had to. However, if I were Freddie Highmore, I don't know if this is a role I would want to keep coming back to later in life. He might want this to be it.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  10. Squealy

I'm wondering whether he's actually going to kill Marion in the shower. I could see them not doing it... it won't have any shock value if everyone's expecting it and it's not really the way TV Norman does things anyway.

It's interesting that while there are external forces closing in on Norman, the writers have also chosen to have him wrestling with "Mother" and his own illness at this time, something that was not going on with the original Norman.

11. Sean Murdock

It'd be pretty ballsy to go through four-plus seasons of build-up and introduce the Marion character, and NOT do "the shower scene." I'm hoping they do, if only to see what kind of "Bates Motel" twist they put on it...

rburly likes this.
  12. Squealy

I know it's a weird thing to say about Norman Bates, but it actually seems out of character to me for this version of Norman to sneak into a woman's room as she's taking a shower and stab her. I found myself thinking that as I was watching the preview for the next episode.

Unless I'm forgetting one, with the other murders he's committed on the show under the influence of Mother -- the teacher, Bradley, Emma's mother -- he's been in the middle of an interaction with them -- he doesn't take people by surprise (they're surprised that he's killing them, but not that he is there with them).

But it looks like there will be a major conflict with Mother.... so that would unhinge him further.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    Sean Murdock likes this.
  13. Lewisboogie

Lewisboogie “Bob Robert”

I thought his illness had everything to do with his mother. What's his "own illness"? I must have missed something.

14. Squealy

I didn't mean they are two separate things. He is starting to fight back against or recognize his own mental illness -- in the last episode he was realizing that his mother is really dead and he has been imagining her or pretending to be her.

By contrast, the Norman Bates of the movie is living comfortably within the delusion that his mother is alive and it's her doing terrible things, not him.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    Sean Murdock, Lewisboogie and rburly like this.
  15. rburly

What I meant about a reboot later, if that's even a thought eventually, was that someone else would be at the age Norman would be when a new potential version could be rebooted. It's a fascinating story that gripped us as a movie and now as the TV series. I'm thinking way down the road (probably) someone else would play the role of Norman at an older age. Love the movie and the show.

16. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member Thread Starter

In this week's episode, Marion steals $400,000 from the real estate office.

Today's trivia question - How much money did Marion steal in the original Psycho movie?

Yes - I know the answer. Just curious to see who else remembers.

17. Lewisboogie

Lewisboogie “Bob Robert”

$40,000?

18. Lewisboogie

Lewisboogie “Bob Robert”

OK, I see you what you mean. Thanks.

19. Sean Murdock

Good points, all -- I don't think Norman has actually committed a pre-meditated murder, has he? They've all been "heat of the moment" actions, unless I'm forgetting something. But the show has already established Norman's secret peephole habit, and even added an auto-erotic element to it, so they certainly seem to be leading us down the road to the shower stabbing. Of course, that would be the perfect way to throw us off... I guess as long as they do whatever they do in a creative and interesting way I'll be fine with it. But I really want to see a shower stabbing! I feel a little gross admitting that...

Lewisboogie likes this.
  20. Squealy

I'm sure he's going to kill Marion -- why introduce her at all otherwise -- I just wonder if they will surprise us with how it happens. The way that Norma's death ended up being totally unlike what you might have expected from knowing the movie. (Although, the death of Norma's mother wasn't an iconic movie scene, but backstory.)

Speaking of which, I was also thinking about another change from the movie that is more effective for the show-- the change from dead Norma being a dessicated corpse, to being frozen. The creepy image of the corpse is a shock in the movie, where "Mother" is a mystery. But when we knew Norma so well, I think the image of her sitting frozen in the cellar is more upsetting than a skeleton would be.

21. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Just watched the episode before last and was really impressed by how well it was directed by Max Theirot (Dylan). Beautifully shot and directed.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  22. Sean Murdock

Anything that keeps him behind the camera and not in front of it. (Sorry, Max)

IronWaffle likes this.
  23. balzac

balzac Senior Member

I actually think Thieriot does a fine job on the show. He's to some degree the Frank Grimes (Simpsons reference!) of the show, the seemingly (though not actually fully) "normal" character on the show who tries to cope with the madness around him.

If you would have told me before the show started that they were rebooting Pyscho into a TV show and creating a brother for Norman Bates named Dylan, I would have thought that could well be really lame. But I think it worked out really well. Five straight seasons of Norman and Norma have to be broken up a bit by something. I don't know if Thieriot is good in anything else, but he's good on "Bates." I thought he did a great job, for instance, in the scene where Norma asks for the earring back, thus confirming she cares more about covering for Norman than she does about Dylan, and Dylan just walks out and hugs Norman.

Plus, if even only for a moment, we finally got Dylan telling off Emma in the last episode. After five seasons, someone finally tells Emma she's too nosy and snoopy!

JimW, Rufus McDufus and rburly like this.
  24. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

Wasn't it Norma(n) that committed all the murders? Didn't they hammer that home by showing how Norman couldn't bring himself to murder Caleb, the man that raped Norma?

Lewisboogie likes this.
  25. balzac

balzac Senior Member

Since it's "Mother" seemingly "making" him do these things, I wouldn't see stabbing a woman in the shower as terribly different from some of the other murders. It would actually be pretty similar to Blair Watson's death.

I agree that a carbon copy of the original film seems somewhat (though not completely) unlikely. I wonder if a twist at some point (well, there isn't much time left!) might be that *Norman* kills someone instead of "Mother" prompting/making him do it. As in, he kills Marion, and then Norman finally sees "Mother" and, unlike all of the other incidents, calls Norman out and makes sure he knows that *this* particular murder was *all* him.

Prior to Norma's death and Norman's full-time "Mother" delusion, I always was a proponent for a full twist on the ending of the show where Norma kills Norman instead of the other way around. That obviously went out the door with the end of last season.

But I don't anticipate them setting the show up for a spin-off/sequel sort of thing. I don't think the *three* Psycho sequels are particularly highly regarded, though perhaps "Psycho II" is a bit more maligned than it deserves to be. None of those sequels are particularly good, though. Perkins is a little extra hammy; the films come across as times like really long episodes of "Tales from the Darkside", and most problematic for those films is the believability of Norman being free and out of any hospitalization/imprisonment.

Rufus McDufus likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.