More familiar with the cover than the original

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hka, Jun 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

I really find it hard to believe there's anywhere on this planet outside of a dentist's waiting room where this is more played/more well known than the original.

2. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Actually, I saw the video of Bette's version way before I knew there was a Stones' version. I thought it was her song when I was little.

3. Avenging Robot

Was it in a dentist's waiting room? Or perhaps Barry Manilow's elevator? An escalator run by men wanted by Amnesty International?

4. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Friday Night Videos, I believe. 1984.

5. Avenging Robot

In Barry Manilow's elevator?

OK, I'll stop. But are you telling me that between 1984 to present day you have either never heard this song again or that you have heard the Bette Midler version far more times? Unless you are one of her backup singers I find this hard to believe.

6. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I don't know when I found out there was a Stones' version. It was sometime later.

7. veloso2

veloso2 Forum Resident

i have always thought it was the original??

8. veloso2

veloso2 Forum Resident

yes america

9. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

apologies, there are quite a few posts in this thread that only name the covering artist and song:

Not Fade Away (original by Buddy Holly, but they were playing in the style of the Rolling Stones) GD Version: Grateful Dead.
    Morning Dew (originally by Bonnie Dobson but the Dead use Fred Neil's 1964 arrangement. Most other rock covers (e.g. Jeff Beck Group,) use the Tim Rose 1967 version.) GD version: the Grateful Dead, Europe 72, Dick's Picks Vol 7
    Hard To Handle (Otis Redding) GD version: Bear's Choice, 3 from the vault
    Big River (Johnny Cash) GD version Dick's Picks vol 1, vol 7
    Me and My Uncle (original by Judy Collins, written by John Phillips) GD version: Grateful Dead

There are dozens of other songs that many Dead listeners would probably associate with them rather than the original artist (e.g. Turn on Your Lovelight (Bobby Bland,) Mama Tried (Merle Haggard,) Promised Land (Chuck Berry,) as well as a great many traditional or obscure jug band/country/blues songs. Quite a few of these would be completely unknown outside that genre niche if not for the GD versions, but for my original post I tried to pick a few more well-known songs that the Dead covered so much as to become signature songs for them. (plus Me and My Uncle which they played in concert more times than other song.)

Except for Hard to Handle, all of the ones I've mentioned were played in concert more than 200 times, and Not Fade Away and Me and my Uncle more than 500 times, not even counting any of the various successor groups formed after Garcia's death. Without doing too much research, I feel safe asserting that all of the songs in my first post (again, except Hard to Handle) appear on at least 20 official releases. They played a lot of covers, and they've put out a lot of concert albums.

10. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

11. Castle in the air

Castle in the air Forum Resident

Cum On Feel The Noize by Quiet Riot over the original by Slade.

12. misterclean

misterclean Forum Resident

I finally heard this for the first time yesterday & have to say that I prefer it to the Blondie cover. Too bad that the Nerves never recorded their own version of Lee's "Will Anything Happen". I'm sure that that would have been just as cool.

13. jimmydean

jimmydean Senior Member

not sure about "take a giant step" and "carpenter"... like the versions by "the rising sons" and tim hardin more

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.