Black & White CD Booklet/Tray Card, Full Color CD Label: Huh?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Get2Me, Mar 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Get2Me

Get2Me Forum Resident Thread Starter

I recently purchased Tim O'Brien's 2003 album, Traveler, from Amazon. It was temporarily out of stock at the time I placed my order but it shipped, as promised, a few short days later. When the CD arrived in the mail, I was shocked to see that the printed booklet and tray card were completely devoid of ALL color - so much so that graphic design elements, like a full page of reproduced lyrics for example, are just gone! What's stranger, still, is that the CD, itself, is a commercially pressed disc with a full color, screen printed label.

Has anyone else experienced something like this...ever? Is it simply a matter of the record label (Sugar Hill) keeping the album in print but decreasing production costs? The paper is still the typical, glossy booklet stock, so it appears no other corners were cut except for the omission of color ink. It's not even just a flat out "grayscale" conversion of the previously color artwork. It looks like the contrast levels were severely boosted, giving the artwork a stark, cold appearance. How bizarre!

2. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Photos, please...?

3. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Is it made in Argentina? Some people have reported issues with pressings from there.

4. Get2Me

I'm at work right now and the CD in question is at home. I'll try and post some pictures tonight. I realize my topic title is a bit misleading as though the artwork for the CD was always supposed to be in B&W. I've seen photos of the album cover online. The copy I received most DEFINITELY should have been printed in color. At least, it was back in 2003.

I'll check the fine print on my the album when I get home. Are Sugar Hill (a predominantly American bluegrass and Americana record label) CDs typically manufactured in Argentina?

5. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Good question ; perhaps that info can be found on Discogs?
    I'm not questioning what you have ... It sounds very odd, but intriguing.
    Perhaps you received artwork that was intended for a test print run only?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  6. Get2Me

Odd is definitely a good word to describe it!

lightbulb likes this.
  7. Get2Me

Here are some photos illustrating what I was trying to convey in my original post. Among the images you'll see that the lyrics for songs #7 and #8 are missing from the booklet spread. Also, the disc and artwork were apparently "Manufactured in the U.S.A." Finally, the collage at the bottom is what the front and back cover of the album is supposed to look like.

Postimage.org — free image hosting / image upload

Does this make sense to anyone?

8. Get2Me

I'm bumping this thread because it now includes a small gallery of images detailing the colorless CD packaging I received for this album.

Also, I sent an e-mail to the artists' official online store contact person inquiring if all the copies of Traveler available for sale there are printed in black & white or color. Hopefully they can check their stock and get back to me.

9. JPagan

JPagan Generation 13

@Get2Me

I've worked in print for years. Sometimes a sheet of paper will get stuck with another as it goes through the press, resulting in a print that's missing colors. If no one noticed it as it goes through, it may end up in the bunch of good ones that make it all the way through cutting and binding and into the intended packaging. I don't know if that's the case here, but it's certainly a possibility – just like label misprints and/or CDs with different music.

If the label or manufacturer were trying to save money by cutting back on color, there's definitely better ways to do it; which I why I believe it to be just an accident. If you desire the artwork as originally intended, let Amazon know you received a faulty copy; they'll send you a replacement.

Get2Me likes this.
  10. Get2Me

Thank you for the thoughtful reply! I think I will bring the issue to Amazon's attention and see what kind of assistance they offer me.

11. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

It would definitely be helpful if you could show us a picture, but it sounds like the booklet was printed without the colors. Occasionally, booklets do get messed up.

Get2Me likes this.
  12. Get2Me

Here is link to a small gallery featuring multiple photos of my colorless CD packaging.

Black & White printed copy of Tim O'Brien's TRAVELER CD

13. Get2Me

OK, so I just finished chatting with Amazon regarding this issue. They are sending out a replacement copy of the CD and supposedly checking their stock of this title to see if there are any other defective copies which match my description. However, they want me to send back my defective copy (on their dime, thankfully). How bizarre this whole scenario is. I kind of wish Amazon would let me keep the misprinted black & white copy because it's kind of a fluke that I ever received it, making it a curiosity in my music collection. Still, the bottom line is, I want a complete copy of Traveler as it was intended. So, hopefully when the replacement CD arrives, all will be well and this situation will be but a distant memory.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.