McIntosh XR-290.....Sweet!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MLutthans, Jan 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

I had the pleasure of spending the last three days at the home of a family member who recently acquired a pair of McIntosh XR-290 loudspeakers. He has been a McIntosh nut for about 30 years, but always had Klipsch speakers, but now has made the switch to McIntosh speakers in a big way! (...and I mean BIG.) I've included some photos of the system, which includes two McIntosh MC1201 mono amps (1200 wpc into 8 ohms, IIRC), McIntosh Music Server (doubles as a CD player), and McIntosh D/A converter. I only was able to spend an hour or so listening, but here are my comments:

1. Jimmy Buffett - MOFI CD of SON OF A SON OF A SAILOR - an excellent pop recording, IMO, and the acoustic guitars sounded smooth, and the bass was very full without over powering. Great sounds here.
    2. Pink Floyd - THE WALL - Old CBS CD, I think (it played off the server) - I have felt bass that "you could feel" in the past, but nothing like this. Oy, vay! It was like being hit hard in the chest by a great boxer wearing pillows for gloves. The punchiest, tightest, fullest bass I've heard.
    3. I do classical music recording in the Seattle area, and I had a disc of a recording of Beethoven's 9th that I had done recently, and we played the 2nd and 4th movements. Effortless, with a nice wide spread and smooth strings. Dynamics like you wouldn't believe.
    4. Beatles - "Something" from ABBEY ROAD. This was great fun. The standard-issue Capitol CD was transferred onto the music server, and we listened to it at a rather full volume, and it sounded harsh in spots, which really surprised me. (I have 3 LP copies and a 7.5 ips open reel, but not the CD.) I had a CD copy I had done of the MoFi LP, and we played that, and it was like butter -- all the difference and improvement in the world. The best I've ever heard the Beatles sound. Wow. Those descending bass notes that lead into the guitar solo were phenomenal.

A splendid time was had by yours truly, and I can heartily recommend that you sell your house and invest in a pair of these puppies...

Matt

DSC00009#1w.jpg DSC00007w.jpg DSC00011#1w.jpg DSC00015w.jpg DSC00010#1w.jpg

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
    Manimal, mrz80 and Zafu like this.
  2. MLutthans

More photos

Two more shots....
    DSC00012#1w.jpg DSC00013#1w.jpg

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
    Manimal and ruben lopez like this.
  3. Toka

Toka Active Member

I have always wanted to hear those big guys...nice pics and thanks for posting!

4. Radiotron

Radiotron Tube Designer

I sure hope this shelf is solid.

Alright4now likes this.
  5. Chazz

Chazz Music Addict

Took the words right out of my mouth!

6. Gang Twanger

Gang Twanger New Member

Those speakers make me drool. I would love to just be able to spend like a week or something, and just do nothing except listen to as much music as I could. I'm pretty certain that I will never have the extra cash necessary to buy a vintage pair of those monsters, but I'd sure love to have an "experience" with 'em (However, my Wharfedale W60E's are treating me very well these days - I've been seeing vintage pairs online for $400 or more, and I paid $30 for mine from this guy that lives 20 minutes from my house). The ebay store that I bought my Dual 1019 turntable from had a pair of XR-290's for sale (and also a pair of MC-1201's, I think) and I'm pretty sure they still have them. I think he has the XR-290's listed with a "Buy It Now" price of $17,999. I can't remember how much the amps were, but I think it was around $10,000. It's expensive as hell, but if they're in anywhere near as good shape as the Dual I got, then they must be absolutely beautiful. Man, those amps kick out some power! 1200 watts at 8 OHMS???
    Sheeeez!! Imagine them at 4 ohms! Yikes!!

7. Ctiger2

Ctiger2 Senior Member

Excellent stuff. I'm sure those sound miles above the Klipsch he was using... Probably can even crank them without having to leave the room now.

8. MLutthans

Not to upset anybody, but he paid $5k for these on Craigslist -- locally, even! -- picking them up from a guy who had inherited them and had them sitting in his small apartment and just wanted to get rid of them. Some guys have all the luck!

9. P2CH

P2CH Well-Known Member

Do those woofers have foam surrounds? What kind of tweeter design is that? Are they domes under the grill?

10. dividebytube

dividebytube Forum Resident

it's a funny thing about McIntosh - you always hear about their preamps and amps - but never anything about their speakers. They seem to get dismissed by most of the 'philes I know. Is there any reason for this?

11. MLutthans

Dome tweeters, foam surrounds, IIRC. There's a link to the details in the first post at the top of this thread.

12. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

Not that I know of. I've heard the McIntosh speakers 2 years in a row now @ CES, and I've been pleasantly surprised. They are in fact pretty damn good.

13. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Those dome tweeters are probably Phillips drivers. The protective cover over the dome looks like what Phillips used to keep prying fingers from mashing in the dome.

14. Mad shadows

Mad shadows Forum Resident

Size does matter!

The speakers looks very impressing - I bet it sounds quit good:D

15. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

Needs another tweeter or two and I would be interested... :D

16. I Am The Lolrus

I Am The Lolrus New Member

yikes! Are they doing tons of crossover points for those drivers, or is it more for dispersion? Seems they took conventional to the extreme.

17. MLutthans

(Pointlessly closed thread reopened.)

I'm sad to report that my brother moved and sold the speakers. I can say that they sounded fabulous!

18. mrz80

mrz80 This page intentionally left blank

In NO way shape or form are those "puppies". Those are the BIG DOGS! :edthumbs:

Manimal and MLutthans like this.
  19. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

That must have been an amazing system!

20. MLutthans

My oldest brother (over 7 years older than me) caused me to be bitten by the hi-fi bug at a very young age. (I've pointed out before that while he was still living at home, he had a pair of La Scala's in his bedroom!) In a somewhat surprising move, he recently moved and sold everything, so he's more-or-less stereo-free, which I never thought I'd see happen.

21. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I have to agree with this, but man I wish I was there with MLutthans trying them out!!!!!!!!!!!!

MLutthans likes this.
  22. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

Impossible, those are very far away from any waf you could imagine...
    Maybe a shiny white modern design would do !

23. mrz80

mrz80 This page intentionally left blank

Roger Russell does offer his IDS-25 speakers in gloss white. :righton:

24. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

I always wondered how those speakers sounded. Based on your description I'd say they sound pretty d*mn good. Thanks for the interesting link.

25. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Super cool

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.