The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. JRM

JRM Forum Resident Thread Starter

"By now, after 11 years and 31 previous volumes of Dick's Picks, most of you ignore these dire audio warnings. Therefore, every once in a while I need to remind you of the inherent problems of some of our music sources. The master for Alpine 8-7-82, is a cassette... yes, the lowly, forgotten cassette. It is quite well preserved, but it is a sonically limited cassette none-the-less. In addition to that, because of overriding considerations at the time of the show, this mix is bass instrument shy. That being said, this is a great show, and that's the foremost DP consideration, right? So, let the music and performance jump out and grab you, and enjoy!"

[​IMG]

Now playing CD1...

The Music Never Stopped >
    Sugaree >
    The Music Never Stopped
    Me and My Uncle >
    Big River
    It Must Have Been the Roses
    C.C. Rider
    Ramble On Rose
    BIODTL >
    On the Road Again
    Althea
    Let It Grow
    U.S. Blues (encore)​

2. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

NP: Harpur College DiP. This is a favorite of mine but many do not care for it.

I kid.

"Everybody relax, we have you all night long."

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  3. JRM

Still getting caught up in this thread! Not sure if anyone mentioned it, but that 12/15/86 BMR was extra heavy because it was the first performance of that song, at the first post-coma show.

4. JRM

Another late reply. I have never seen them, JGB without the JG seems like a martini without the gin! That said, I stumbled across a recent Cats Under the Stars by this band, but Oteil and Stu Allen were sitting in. I would check out this band if that were the lineup...

Billy_Sunday and budwhite like this.
  5. BlueTrane

BlueTrane Forum Resident

Never heard this one, streaming it now… sounds like a cool show. :thumbsup:

6. JRM

Sound quality not good unfortunately. I think my old Maxell XL-II sounded better than the official release!

7. BlueTrane

BlueTrane Forum Resident

That's OK, tho' - as the set moves along, you just sort of go with it. It's fun. Thanks for pointing us to it.

ianuaditis and JRM like this.
  8. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I don't think I've ever heard the first set of that one, but I know the second set well, and it's a good one indeed.

nitsuj likes this.
  9. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Oops, misremembered the date. I'll get to the rest soon...

US Blues likes this.
  10. SteveFff

SteveFff Forum Mekonista

Drool...

11. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Unfortunately there was a mastering error on DP 32; the original cassettes were not Dolby encoded, but they were played back with Dolby On :shake: Boosting the upper midrange and treble frequencies will help, but the damage can't be completely undone.

bzfgt, Crispy Rob, bmoregnr and 2 others like this.
  12. CaliBighead

CaliBighead New Member

I'm sure I'm not the only one that was blown away by the second disc of the Keane College JGB release (After Midnight> Rigby> Midnight). Previously, I don't think I would think, "Oh, JGB... 1980... sick." Anyone else have any other gems from the era that get close to this show's quality?

13. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Black Muddy River was Jerry's death song. Not in a bad way, it was the song of his soul. From this auspicious debut, until the GD's final show, when it was the final song Jerry performed as the leader of the band. The raw, naked truth as only Hunter could write it, and Jerry could sing it.

Scopitone, adamos, Crispy Rob and 6 others like this.
  14. JRM

“The black muddy river is a dream I’ve had maybe three or four times over my life, and it is one of the most chilling experiences that I’ve had. It’s enough to turn you religious. I’ve burrowed under this incredible mansion, gone down into the cellars, and I find myself down at this black, lusterless, slow-flowing stygian river. There are marble columns around, and cobwebs. It’s vast and it’s hopeless. It’s death. It’s death with the absence of the soul. It’s my horror vision, and when I come out of that dream I do anything I can to counter it.” - Robert Hunter

Scopitone, adamos, Ezzie and 6 others like this.
  15. JRM

Styg·i·an
    ˈstijēən/
    adjective
    1. relating to the Styx River

US Blues, ianuaditis and NorCal like this.
  16. SteveFff

SteveFff Forum Mekonista

Such a great song. Thank you for posting this. I hadn't seen this quote before. Very powerful to read. I certainly won't hear the song in the same way again. As "river" songs go--and as late period Dead songs go--I always thought "Lazy River Road" was quite an an exceptional song, especially that "careless love" verse I've always found especially powerful and moving. Certainly great versions to be found.

JRM and US Blues like this.
  17. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Fixed that for you. ;)

US Blues and JRM like this.
  18. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Shaken, not stirred.

JRM and Archtop like this.
  19. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

'the descent to hell is easy; night and day the doors of darkest Hades stand open.
    But to retrace your steps, to escape once again to the upper air, there is the task and toil.
    Some few, whom kindly Jove smiled upon, or children of gods lifted to heaven, have managed.

20. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Why do I feel as if I've read this before? Recently, I might add. ;)

21. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

It is indeed beautiful. And when I think of Jerry Garcia, his humanity, and his walk along that black muddy river, this is where it leads,

Standing on the moon
    With nothing left to do
    A lovely view of heaven
    But I'd rather be with you - be with you

22. fangedesire

fangedesire Well-Known Member

Hope you're able to transcribe it sometime, I'd love to know what they said! Wonder when that was?

23. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

I'll give it another try. I love a good deep space jam. Maybe I was just not in a Dark-Star-on-23-March-1972 mood last time I heard it. It felt very disjointed, as if they hadn't played much for a while...which they hadn't. They also hadn't done Dark Star in about three months.

I'll try it again.

ianuaditis and footlooseman like this.
  24. B-Mike

B-Mike Forum Resident

Any chance you know if the version Charlie Miller put out in January has the same flaw?

25. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

I assume he improved it, mostly just by EQ as I mentioned. We spoke about his doing that a few years ago, I guess he finally got around to "releasing" it.

B-Mike likes this.