PSVANE tubes, are they good?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by EddieVanHalen, Mar 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hello to all forum members. Here I am again looking for your advice.
    I'm buying a Yaqin SD-CD3 tube buffer to put it between an Oppo BDP-93 and a Pioneer SC-LX76 A/V receiver. Yes, I know this kind of stuff are not necessary and what they do most of the time is color the sound, but I'm buying it anyway.
    The thing is that the stock tubes that come from factory are garbage so I'll change the two 6SN7 as soon as it arrives.
    What do you think of Psvane tubes? Are they really good or they just charge extra for a fancy finished product.
    Thanks in advance.

2. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Really good.

SandAndGlass and T'mershi Duween like this.
  3. T'mershi Duween

T'mershi Duween Forum Resident

Indeed! :)

4. progrocker

progrocker Senior Member

Very good tube but not sure they're worth their price.

ls35a and saturdayboy like this.
  5. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

IMHO, in my setup they are easily the best sounding current 6SN7's. You might do better with an NOS tube, but that would probably cost even more.

6. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

I was very happy with the 12axy's I was using in my Project phonostage!! Worth every penny and more.

7. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Does anybody have any experience with the Psvane "Phillips Holland replica" EL34?

I don't really care how close they come to the sound of Dutch Mullards, more just if they're good sounding tubes for the price or not.

8. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

Easily the cheapest and probably best solution is to buy the NOS Sylvania 7N7 tube from jacmusic.com. It is a dirt cheap and really great sounding tube, and it is a electrically fully equivalent tube to the 6SN7, so all you need is to buy a converter socket with it. Which Jac also sells for a few Euros.

I have bought a stash to last me a lifetime, so I'm passing on this tip whenever I have the chance :)

vconsumer likes this.
  9. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

SandAndGlass likes this.
  10. EddieVanHalen

I've been offered a pair of NOS 6NS7 General Electric made in Canada, I think I should go for the GE's instead of the Psvanes. What do you think?

11. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

They sound good, but longevity is questionable, from my experience.

saturdayboy likes this.
  12. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Those Psvane 6SN7 look pretty cool. I am not sure they would fit on my Modwright Oppo. I just figured it out. They will not fit. Those suckers are over two inches wide.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
    EddieVanHalen likes this.
  13. EddieVanHalen

That is my fear with the Yaqin SD-CD3 and the Psvanes, I'm not sure if they will fit.

14. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

The are a little over two inches wide.:sigh:

15. EddieVanHalen

Thank you. Problem is I don't have the Yaqin SD-CD3 yet as I still have to order it, so I can't measure if they fit or not. I'll ask the Yaqin's seller.

16. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

I've been using them for over a year :cool: Way better than Sophias.

Diamond Dog likes this.
  17. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

How did you fit them?

18. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

They are about the same dimensions as the Sophias, just a smidgen taller. It is not a tight fit.

19. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

20. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

I would go with the 6CA7. Very close to the sweet mids of the EL34, but with more bottom end.

DrZhivago and SandAndGlass like this.
  21. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

22. Ilovefooty

Ilovefooty Forum Resident

Yes. They sound very good with a euphoric sensibility. Unfortunately i had a tube die after 3 months. I'm using Gold Lion KT77's now and i actually prefer them to the Psvanes.

Rolltide likes this.
  23. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

I had some 12AX7s and thought they were harsh.

24. Leigh

Leigh https://orf.media

Bought a pair of 12au7's for a Bottlehead Foreplay. One of them was so microphonic I stuck them both back in their oddly ornamental box and haven't taken them out in years. Was not overly impressed with the sound.

25. EddieVanHalen

I don't know what to think about the Psvanes, from one side, sound seems to be very good. On the other, there are people who doesn't and there's the working like issue.
    I think I'll stick with the General Electrics I can buy easily and for a reasonable price. I'm sure they won't look so good next to the Psvanes but will perform better and last longer. These NOS GE's were made in Canada, are they really good?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.