Why is Walmart not selling vinyl yet?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by honestabe316, Mar 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

Since you asked about Walmart and vinyl, when was the last time Walmart sold vinyl? Can anybody remember?

2. John1026

John1026 Member

There is no Vinyl or cassette tape revival, that's why they are not sold at Walmart. Until Vinyl and cassettes reach the same number of sales they had back in the 80s, they are not coming back. It's mostly a collectors and seller market. The number of sellers and collectors for vinyl and cassette tapes far outnumbers the actual users.

3. honestabe316

honestabe316 Analog Rebel Thread Starter

No...but my strongest memory of a dept store selling vinyl is when I was a teen and the wall came out and Bradlees set up a display of the records that resembled a large wall....that was rather cool

4. Deaf_in_ LA_1974

Deaf_in_ LA_1974 Forum Resident

That's a buyers market, where the buyer has the power. If there was only one seller and ten buyers, that would be a sellers market because the seller could set a higher price

5. honestabe316

There were no Wal-Mart's in my area until after vinyl crashed

parman likes this.
  6. John1026

John1026 Member

The buyers are mostly collectors and hipsters. They outnumber the actual users.

7. honestabe316

At least the resurgence gave the actual users another round of reissues..this format still has some good years left.....

GMcGilli likes this.
  8. John1026

John1026 Member

I am sure it does and I'm not bashing vinyl. But it is not making a comeback and it reached its peak back in the 80s.

9. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Their return department is busy enough as it is.

Planbee likes this.
  10. honestabe316

It is making a comeback....it's not like it was when it was the predominant media but used record stores are popping up everywhere or at least the existing used record stores have increased thier stock immensely.....new turntables are being pumped out at every price level......there are large increases in vinyl sales on amazon, ebay, discogs, elusive, soundstage direct, music direct......many people I work with are buying turntables and buying vinyl........it's not coming back as the primary media but it is viable and making people money......

parman likes this.
  11. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

That sounds like the title of a web site or something.

12. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

13. John1026

John1026 Member

The fact that vinyl is not portable and can only be played at home, it will never get as popular as digital music players which is what dominates the music industry today. For many, vinyl is too "clunky" to deal with and will use other formats that are more practical or portable. This does not mean that the other formats sound better, but eventually people will realize that vinyl is not portable and you can't play it in your car.

Tjazz likes this.
  14. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

yeah, it is making a comeback. when I can get practically any new release on vinyl, that's called a comeback. that simply was NOT true 10 years ago.

Jrr and eddiel like this.
  15. John1026

John1026 Member

I still don't think they are making a comeback. At work, no one plays vinyl or cassette tapes. Everyone is into streaming or digital music players.

Tjazz likes this.
  16. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

The funny thing is back in the day Woolworth and other such places carried vinyl because there were no other options. (I've got a few records with $2.95 stamped on them still.) But now vinyl is too much of a specialty item for mass market.

Tjazz likes this.
  17. 32XD Japan1

32XD Japan1 Forum Resident

The great unwashed dare not partake of vinyl, lest they are even aware of its continued existance. :laugh:

18. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

Do any libraries stock new vinyl releases?

19. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Eventually people will realise vinyl is not portable? How long does it take for someone to realise that? A day, a week, a month? Are there people who at the point of sale are thinking "Can't wait to play this in my car on the way home" and not realising they cannot play it their car?

Please, for the love of this forum, let's not have this stupid argument again.

parman likes this.
  20. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Maybe they have one of these:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
    Jimi Bat likes this.
  21. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

Maybe a concern about returns? They could leverage them as frisbees.

22. leeroy jenkins

leeroy jenkins Forum Resident

I guess they are not using those turntables they are buying either. That's quite a commitment to the hipster cause.

23. rjp

rjp Senior Member

because no one who goes to wal-mart is into vinyl, especially at full price.

and, vinyl is NOT outselling CD's, hasn't for years and never will again.

every new release, every week comes out wither as a CD or a download, i'm guessing, and i cannot confirm nor do i know where to find out, that about 1/4 of the new releases come out on vinyl.

24. rjp

rjp Senior Member

you can buy a turntable at FYE for $50.

go down the street to goodwill and buy 20 vinyl albums for $5........that is who is buying vinyl.

buying new vinyl are the audiophiles, who have big bucks, and believe it sounds better than digital.

whether you agree or disagree, that is the real world.

25. leeroy jenkins

leeroy jenkins Forum Resident

I couldn't disagree more. Who is buying all of those Jack White albums? Audiophiles?

Go to record store. See what's going on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.