Big Little Lies - HBO

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deesky, Feb 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

Yes. Thank you producers for giving her all of the sex scenes.

Myke and Ron P. like this.
  2. Ron P.

Ron P. Forum Resident

Yes, it's good. But what's up with the music? Most of the songs, although good, do not go with the scenes....at all. The scene at Zoe Kravitz workout/aerobics class,....the music was a "blues" song by Charles Bradley. It's ridiculous. Nicole Kidman in the end of one episode, watching the sunset with earbuds in, is listening to Irma Thomas' "Straight from the Heart". What? .......trust me, very rich Monterey women do not even know who Irma Thomas is. And the music pics by Witherspoons daughter that are so amazing? It's amazing the writers, producers.....music consultants, ....whatever, think that we would believe it.

Pay attention next episode. It's actually laughable. Totally messes with my suspension of disbelief.

3. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident Thread Starter

The music selections didn't bother me in the least - it's just music. Any type of music is easily discoverable these days. But I did have a slight problem in the earlier eps where there were way too many music clips being played throughout the episode. It felt shoehorned-in and sometimes annoyingly loud given the context. Still, it's a minor gripe.

4. Ron P.

Ron P. Forum Resident

I agree with, "...too many music clips", and, "....annoyingly loud given the context". It shows they are putting a big emphasis on the soundtrack. Which makes it even more bazaar when the songs don't fit the scene. Poor music choices are a major gripe with me.

I think Sue Jacobs is trying too hard to be cool.....and that never works.

5. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Who is Sue Jacobs?

6. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

Music supervisor.
    I have to disagree. I think the music is putting just the right emphasis in all the right places. I agree about Madeline's daughter Chloe and her unbelievable taste in music for a six year old. I know we're supposed to believe she's an old soul or something, but her parents don't strike me as being the ones to expose her to some of the baby boomer and beyond stuff that she plays.
    Other than that I'm riveted by this story.

7. rjp

rjp Senior Member

could there be a soundtrack CD in the works?

8. All is forgiven by me on the music front by the producer's inclusion of Frank Zappa's King Kong in episode 1.

9. Ron P.

Ron P. Forum Resident

I really like the story also. That's why I find it so troubling. A kickboxing class to the "blues"...really?

I'm not one for the "mini series" thing....although I did watch all of "Fargo"......it had a great score! i.e. "Locomotive Breathe". Great song for that scene.

10. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

Me too. I love slow burns. Shailene Woodley is killing it.

the pope ondine, Ron P. and chacha like this.
  11. chacha

Shailene is great. Funny, when the show started I was taken by Reese but now I'm feeling Nicole and Shailene are the standouts.

Blair G., Jamey K and Ron P. like this.
  12. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

I've read the book & thoroughly enjoyed that but I can't say I'm loving the series. If I didn't know the story, I might find it a bit hard to follow at times with the odd editing & flashes of other scenes.

13. Ron P.

Ron P. Forum Resident

All the ladies are killing it. Lot's of good chemistry.

Zoe's man is going to kill Nicole's man,.....yes? Or the other way around?

14. chacha

The editing and direction are one thing I'm enjoying most about the series. Makes it seem less soapy to me.

Ron P. likes this.
  15. Deesky

I don't see how this show can be labeled as 'soapy'. There is nothing soapy about the characters and their interactions. It's a pretty fine character study drama.

GodShifter and rogertheshrubber like this.
  16. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

Wait...what? No. It can't. Can it?

I'm not someone that needs all the answers spelled out for him. But what in the flying fu...

Okay. Premature freak out here. I thought this was the sixth and final episode. There's more. I was about to cancel HBO and slingshot my satellite with an actual person from Monterey.

There's nothing to see here. Just go about your business. It's just me gathering my ish.

GodShifter and Ron P. like this.
  17. Ron P.

Ron P. Forum Resident

Yo Chris. Nice shot of Grant...oops!...I mean "Millennial" Park. Did you shoot that?

Did Nicole just shoot herself?

Chris from Chicago likes this.
  18. chacha

What makes you think that?

19. chacha

I'm going to miss this show. I wish it wasn't ending next week. I wish there was more relationship drama on television and in movies these days.

20. Deesky

LOL, it's been mentioned about three times in this thread that the series has 7 eps (including the opening post). :)

...Some spoilers...

This was a surprisingly 'light' episode given its penultimate status. Some surprising developments, though the Abby thing seemed unnecessary. The other surprise was the apparent reconciliation between Jane & Renata with Renata playing against type here showing great sensitivity. Well done.

But, for the second week in a row, the most valuable scene was again between Celeste and her therapist. This time however, the therapist gets the accolades for her straight talk and good advice. I was expecting Celeste to take another beating, but instead she broke Perry's dick! Nice twist. Wonder how that'll play out.

The music was a little intrusive, again.

And the LOL scene had to be Madeline's projectile vomiting. Those oysters will get you every time!

Chris from Chicago likes this.
  21. rjp

rjp Senior Member

never knew you could break your dick........

can't wait for the finale, should be very entertaining and very interesting.

22. Ron P.

Ron P. Forum Resident

It was a great scene between Celeste and therapist. But......the straight talk and advice may have been too much for Celeste to handle. I'm not sure she didn't hurt/shoot herself, (loud bang as wave crashed into rock, play it again and listen for it), in her last scene. Note her falling forward to the floor of the apartment. A good therapist would know better than to suggest dramatic action that the person is not able to handle.

23. Ron P.

Ron P. Forum Resident

If you have it recorded, listen for the loud bang when the wave crashes into the lone rock in the ocean right after celeste comes in from the deck of the apartment. Then is show you her falling forward to the floor inside the apartment. ???? My wife and I both heard it. But she appears to be in the previews for the final episode, however there is a still in the previews that show her on the floor with a mans hand on her back. The floor looks carpeted as in the apartment. ???

24. Ron P.

Ron P. Forum Resident

Sorry, man wearing tie, sitting on floor next to her with hand on her head....she is wearing bra, chest down on floor.

25. Ron P.

Ron P. Forum Resident

...and again, the music is...... RIDICULOUS!

Chloe and her friend on a play date listening to Big Brother and The Holding Company??? Sure, all happy six year olds are into Janice. Nothing like angst ridden blues to play"tag" to. Seriously, they're running around smiling and playing while Janice Joplin is tearing her heart out about how sad and hard life is. The scene is insulting to the music.

And Chloe singing and dancing along with St. Paul & The Broken Bones, "Grass is Greener" playing on the big TV screen....(when Mom insist it's time for bed), is beyond ridiculous. It made me laugh out loud and my wife said, "OK, there just messing with us now".
    also, my wife thinks perfect little Chloe is the bully/abuser at school. ???

Lonson likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.