Robert palmer albums??

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by henry babenko, Mar 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. henry babenko

henry babenko Forum Resident Thread Starter

Can you recommend any? specially his 70's stuff, which versions are good to get for best sound?? thanks.

2. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

His debut Sneaking Sally Through The Alley is easily his best. Original US Island cd may or may not have been confirmed as mastered by Barry Diament. Sounds good regardless. Both US and UK lps share the same mastering and sound good as well. Start there.

3. henry babenko

hey, thanks curbach,, sounds good..

4. Murph

Murph Enjoy every sandwich!

I'll second the @curbach recommendation- this album is badass!

henry babenko likes this.
  5. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

How could it not be!? Half the record he's backed by the Meters and the other half by Little Feat! Incredible record.

GerryO, Fullbug, Rickchick and 2 others like this.
  6. henry babenko

wow, this vinyl is hard to find.. ebay doesn't have a lot of them..

7. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

It should be a pretty common record. Probably doesn't sell for enough for people to bother listing on eBay. Do you not have any local record stores? Or maybe try Discogs.

8. Naughty Chord

Naughty Chord Hole in my Socrates

I consider Sneakin' Sally Through The Alley, Pressure Drop, and Some People Can Do What They Like to be essential listening. Original vinyl sounds fantastic on these.

Ro-Go, bibijeebies, RoyalScam and 6 others like this.
  9. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I love this one.

10. Sneakin Sally. Incredible record.

11. All you need is one :tiphat:

12. mikestar

mikestar Friendly Optimist

First four and you're set.

Naughty Chord, mlew and chacha like this.
  13. bobc

bobc Bluesman

Yeah, Sneakin Sally... , Pressure Drop, Some People... & Double Fun are all really good, especially because of the involvement of Little Feat members and other great musicians.

Of the later albums I quite like Riptide, especially his funky version of Earl King's Trick Bag.

14. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Hidden Masters are working on a three volume release project, that includes really early bands and will use analogue source tapes.

bibijeebies and Naughty Chord like this.
  15. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Get Pressure Drop, too

Fullbug likes this.
  16. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

This.

17. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

There is a lot of love for Sneaking Sally. I know it was backed by the Meters (who I love) and all that, but I still think its an album by an artist that was showing potential rather than one who had realised it. I think Clues is maybe his best, overall. Pressure Drop, Some People, Double Fun and Riptide have their moments but are inconsistent, in my view. They all sound good on original vinyl. This may not be a popular view, but as an owner of the LPs, I stand by it. I'm commenting as a fan, not someone who dislikes RP, and I've tried to like Sneakin more. But I think Johnny and Mary off Clues was his finest moment.

MTB Vince and Rickchick like this.
  18. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Let me once again add his last Drive album to the list of his best. His first blues orientation and a truly wonderful album that got great reviews but was sadly overshadowed by his early passing.

[​IMG]

Nate-O-Phonic likes this.
  19. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

Don't forget Secrets (1979) and Pride (1983)!

20. Rickchick

Rickchick Forum Resident

Agree 100%!

21. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

I'm gonna be only the second person to mention Clues???

FINE. Grab Clues. The CD is tricky to find, but the vinyl goes for cheap. It's his only true new-wave album (Gary Numan assisted), and it sounds nothing like Sneakin Sally.... But it might be his best album overall. Tight collection of smart pop songs and a little bit of weirdness (Numan again), great vocals, great production, barely lasts a half hour. The lost gem in his catalog. (Also, get Sally of course. Everyone knows about that one already, but there's a reason....)

MTB Vince, rodentdog, mikaal and 2 others like this.
  22. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Double Fun is fantastic. Second place would be Some People Can Do What They Like.
    The problem with the first one, for me, is side two. That long track still bothers me, after all these years.
    Pride is also great, but I'd be the first to admit that it does have some odd material, especially the awful Silver Gun, which closes the lp.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  23. musik4chameleons

musik4chameleons Forum Resident

Clues ++++

MTB Vince likes this.
  24. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

More than a few years ago I was hell bent on buying all the original USA Island CD's by Robert Palmer -70's and early 80's releases. All sound good (IMO) and I believe at least some are mastered by Barry Diament. Hardest for me to find at the time without spending too much money was Some People Can Do What They Like. I started out with the 2 Addictions CD's and after that I bought the rest of his catalog.

Pat

25. Lowel George imho is the real driving force behind Sally.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.