Pioneer PLX-1000 or Technics SL-1500 MK2??

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by sami, Mar 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

2K???? A piece??? I'd be having a fire sale with my menagerie of Technics tables. Lol. I would definitely keep a couple of my modded 1200's. After that, all bets are off. :agree:

Licorice pizza and sami like this.
  2. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

The Pioneer is great for the money and you can even use a good MC cartridge. Only issue with Uk mains there is some hum with MC which may not be a problem with lower voltage? The damped arm is likely superior than the old Technics models on 1200/1500 even though they look more solid. Though the motor may not be as bullet proof as the Japanese made product it is a pretty solid design for the money. The TT is actually very heavy and likely as heavy as my Michell Orbe if you discount the massive motor housing. Result it is pretty effectively isolated and the feet look far more complex and likely better isolators than the standard Technics ones.

punkmusick, Licorice pizza and sami like this.
  3. sami

sami Mono still rules Thread Starter

The 1500 is over 25 lbs. although it doesn't look it - it's a load. The stock feet are awful, and I replaced them as soon as I got it with Vibrapod Isolators and have never had an isolation problem.

McLover likes this.
  4. McLover

McLover Senior Member

The Audio-Technica recommendations you were referred to are excellent. You also have the Ortofon 2M Red and Blue as choices, the Nagaoka line as options, some Grado options. And that is just MM and MI choices.

5. sami

I really like that AT7V. Sounds like what I'm looking for.

Licorice pizza likes this.
  6. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I think you'd like it.

7. sami

Well, I just received the ATV7 and installed it. First record playing, and it's pretty sweet. Mighty pretty as well.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

punkmusick, 33na3rd, johnny q and 6 others like this.
  8. Licorice pizza

Licorice pizza Livin’ On The Fault Line

Looks beautiful, Mark.:righton: Can't wait for your review, I'm curious.

sami likes this.
  9. Licorice pizza

I always break a sweat and get winded whenever I have to lift my plx-1000 and move it somewhere. Damn thing is heavy!

sami likes this.
  10. sami

Thanks, Daniel. I have Nefertiti on right now, and this thing is really nice. I'm a vintage cart guy, but this is something special. Balanced, very neutral sounding (maybe leaning to the warm side), and detailed without sounding sterile. I'm sure about 25-30 hours will take it to another level, so I'm looking forward to hear how much better it can be.

11. sami

Yeah, even the 1500 is like 26 lbs. - sure doesn't look it. I heard those PLX-1000's are a load!

12. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

I've had no issues with hum using MC cartridges on my Pioneer.

That said, @sami made the right decision, in my opinion.

13. Licorice pizza

Great! Yeah, 25-30 hrs is about right. By then my AT440mlb was singing like a soprano and hitting all the right notes beautifully. After 100hrs it was just orgasmic, to put it mildly.

sami likes this.
  14. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Then move up to the mlx150. I have both, both are great, but the 150 is a bit smoother and not quite as bright. Last week I just moved to their MC line and love that even more, but now I think I will need to upgrade my preamp. I may sell my 440 shortly if you are interested since I will move the 150 to my office table and won't need the 440. Has maybe 75 hours on it. Both track extremely well. Still, look at the 150 before you decide.

15. sami

Wow, hopefully this one gets to that kind of special level. I've read reviews that it does, and it sure sounds nice right out of the box.

16. sami

Thanks very much for the offer, but as stated I got the AT7V. So far, so good.

17. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

As I understand it, the styli from the 440MLb and 150MLX (as well as 150Sa, 120MLb and all the new VM models) will all fit the AT7V body so you can easily upgrade when you wish.

18. sami

Wow, that's great to know, thank you. I had read that the 150 fit, but not the 440.

It's going to be a while to get to that point, though, and the stock cart is pretty nice out of the box.

19. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Yes, the 440 and 150 share the same mounting style (square "peg" on stylus inserting into cartridge body. The 100, 120, 130, 440, 150 styli all work. I've also read that the 102-152 styli also fit. They look to be the same stylus body shape as the newer ones but with more ribs on the side and no stylus guard. I have an AT150MLX body and an AT120 body. All the styli I have (120Eb, 440MLb, 150MLX, 150Sa) fit both these bodies without problem.

The good thing about the AT7V body (apparently originally from the upscale Signet line) is that it's supposedly has the lower inductance of the AT150 body, which makes it slightly less sensitive to loading and with more extended highs. I do know that my 440MLb stylus sounds nicer on my AT150 body than it does on the AT120 one (the latter is the same body as on a full AT440MLa/b). I have to admit I've been tempted to pick up an AT7V. I know it's been discontinued, but since the other styli fit it, I'll have lots of choices and it looks nice. Plus I've been reading good things about its sound.

RubenH likes this.
  20. Licorice pizza

Oh, you ain't seen nuttin yet, Mark. It'll probably force you to take sick days just to listen to albums all day.:laugh:

One caveat though. AT stylii get dirty quickly so you gotta be on top of it and blow or brush the lint off. My personal approach is to clean it wet with my record cleaning solution (don't worry it'll live) as recommended by a forum member here last year.

sami likes this.
  21. sami

I'm really excited to hear how it open up as it breaks in, but it's beautiful - neutral, balanced.

Thanks so much for all the information!

22. sami

I've always used a stylus brush before every record and a few dips into a Magic Eraser once a week or so. What do you use to apply the solution?

23. Licorice pizza

Don't laugh, but, I swipe it gently with one of my wife's old eyeliner brushes. Very smooth, silk-like bristles. After that I remove excess gunk with the tiny brush Audio Technica supplied with the cart.

sami likes this.
  24. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

That's good to hear. All my ATs are brighter than I'd like so I usually end up EQing but I stick with them because I have yet to find another brand that tracks problems records as well when properly aligned.

sami and Licorice pizza like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.