Are the DCC, Audio Fidelity and Mobile Fidelity catalogs available on streaming services?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Mar 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

Actually, I guess in general I'm asking if you can select music by label and/or mastering.

Just wondering. I've never seen mention of this. Thanks. :targettiphat:

2. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

No. The titles they release are /were limited (in quantities and period of availability), so I guess it's mainly a licensing issue.

bluemooze likes this.
  3. bluemooze

So if you stream you settle for generic sound quality, and abandon listening to the best sound quality you can get? o_O

4. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

5. Popmartijn

Popmartijn Senior Member

In general, yes. Streaming enables you to listen to the contents (the song), not to choose a specific version (mastering). It's one of the side effects of streaming.

fluffskul, Galley and bluemooze like this.
  6. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Not having knowledge of and access to specific masterings of the music is the primary reason I have not taken up streaming along with, if I'm not mistaken, lower resolution quality by most services. In the end though I see this as the future for most music listening maybe not for myself and other members here but I think this will be for the masses.

marcb, fluffskul, c-eling and 2 others like this.
  7. bluemooze

I know, I'm probably at least 10 years behind the times. :)

8. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

They are almost always using the major label remaster as a source. Ie in the case of Blue Note it will the RVG CDs and so on. This is a big reason I keep hearing why digital isn't good from the group of people I know. It doesn't matter if you have a $5k DAC if the source files you're getting sent through Roon integrated Tidal stinks.

marcb, BradOlson, rxcory and 2 others like this.
  9. AudioEnz

AudioEnz Senior Member

Of course not! Signing up for a streaming service doesn't include a visit to confiscate your existing CD and LP collection.

bluemooze likes this.
  10. mwheelerk

That's very true and my thoughts were based on it being a primary listening source in the future. As a supplemental listening source if I felt a need for it the factors I mentioned above would not concern me.

11. mwheelerk

May I ask, and I'm not challenging you, but how do you know at all what masterings they are using. Do any of the providers publish this information?

bluemooze likes this.
  12. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

It is very obvious by listening that the record companies use their most recent remasters as the main sources for the streams.

fluffskul likes this.
  13. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

No streaming OP, you are with the times. The rest of us are 10-30 years behind the times.

bluemooze likes this.
  14. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

Does anyone think a 1993 DCC license INCLUDED streaming rights even if it was still in force which being time limited they were not?

15. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

The answer is NO.

16. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Get a turntable ;)

bluemooze likes this.
  17. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

They will occasionally mention the edition for rock and jazz albums. More often it's from listening to the stream.

bluemooze likes this.
  18. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

It would be like seeing a Xerox of a painting restoration. Do you want to merely listen to the album, or are you trying to hear the quality of the restoration? Hearing an mp3 of high resolution reissue defeats the purpose.

bluemooze likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.