Dumbest things ever overheard at a record store!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by erikdavid5000, Mar 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

Twitter

2. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Cut of one of your ears and then everything would be mono.

Van Gogh was probably not an audiophile.

S. P. Honeybunch likes this.
  3. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

UP until the late '80s, it was INCREDIBLY easy. Around 1980/81 I was able to but their entire catalogue in stereo AND mono - in excellent condition - for between £5-£10.

4. zippy

zippy Forum Resident

I was in a record store the other day and in the corner there was this bargain bin, i was waiting for the 4 girls (a few years younger than me, maybe 22-23) to finish going through the crate. They pulled out Nat King Coles 20 Greatest, one girl says 'im not sure if he would want this, do you think its any good' . to which i replied 'yes i have it, played it many times'. One girl then says 'aint he old' , 'well he's dead' was my reply.

Nothing really dumb but:

The girl making the decision, states 'i think i should ring him to see if he likes old people'

I decided to leave the crate...

5. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

[​IMG]

dalem5467 and GTOJUDGE like this.
  6. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

"Do you have that song from the car commercial?" - the sad part is that this was only a dumb question for a day or two until we figured out that it was Etta James' "At Last" in a Jaguar commercial.

7. Mychael

Mychael Forum Resident

"Where's the rack with the downloads?"

8. myles

myles Argyle, before you ask ....

I thought it was 'Everything I Do (Is Driven By You) by Brian May. Or 'Take My Breath Away' by Berlin.......

S. P. Honeybunch likes this.
  9. Terrapin Station

You know, the way-long jennings--rather than the shorter jennings (also known as the "shooter jennings")

10. Terrapin Station

Actually, yes. You've got mono if you disconnect one of a pair of stereo speakers. What you don't have is an intentional mono mix.

kyletx500 and GTOJUDGE like this.
  11. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Maybe later, circa 1994 it was "At Last," we sold hundreds during its run.

12. Terrapin Station

Record store clerk: "Did you notice the new Village People release?"

DHamilton and kyletx500 like this.
  13. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

re the Art Tatum Solo Masterpieces on Pablo:

"This says Vol. 2, do I need to hear Vol. 1 first?"

14. Stuggy

Stuggy Forum Resident

I found Rubber Soul under R in a Galway record shop around the millennium.
    Thought it wouldn't be a mistake an informed record shop assistant would make.
    Think the remaster has the band name on it now

dennis1077 likes this.
  15. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

You're also missing half of the elements in the mix if it's a stereo mix.

16. Terrapin Station

You'd be missing anything hard-panned to one side (elements not hard-panned but predominantly in the other channel are just going to be quieter, but they'll still be present). Nevertheless, that you're listening to just one speaker makes it that you're listening to mono sound. It doesn't have to be every element from the stereo mix in order for you to be listening to mono sound.

You're confusing "listening to a 'complete' mix of the album in question" with whether you're listening to stereo versus mono sound. One speaker is mono sound regardless of what exactly you're hearing through that one speaker. More than one speaker is only mono sound if the same exact audio content is present in each speaker.

GTOJUDGE likes this.
  17. Surly

Surly Bon Viv-oh-no-he-didn't

I certainly made my share of dumb comments when I worked in record stores. I first started working in one as a teenager in 1985. A man came in once and asked to help find some Minnie Ripperton cassettes. I showed him a greatest hits and then said "Maybe she'll have something new coming out soon." He replied "Uh, she's been dead for many years now."

18. NaturalD

NaturalD The King of Pop

I'm sorry but I'm struggling to see the downside for the shop owner. He must have had work to do and knew you weren't spending. Did he ask you for those burned CDs?

19. Mike Campbell

Mike Campbell Forum Resident

I had given him the cd's before he asked me to leave.....He had no down side, other than being, what I respectfully call, a jerk.....strange huh? He had no idea if I was going to spend or not...plus I had 100s of rock and blues cd's I need to get rid of, and was going to sell them to him, very cheaply, just to get them out of my house.....his loss.

20. NaturalD

NaturalD The King of Pop

Sorry but I doubt a store owner mourned that lost CD collection.

zippy likes this.
  21. Mike Campbell

Mike Campbell Forum Resident

All the Zep, Sabbath, FREE, Clapton, T rex, UFO, and hundreds of other original releases.....Heep, van Morrison, on and on....I'm sure someone would have bought them from him. I only wanted to get rid of them....all mint condition.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  22. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Spouse is 20 years younger than I am, and while pretty knowledgeable about popular music we still have conversations about previously popular musicians who are now apparently unknown. Even the members of bands that are still fairly popular on movie soundtracks draw blanks; The Who, Doors, Rolling Stones, Beatles, Led Zeppelin, etc. might as well have no members of note with names.

It just reminds me that in another 20-30 years, the only people that are going to know who will know the intricacies of who was a member of what popular 60s-80s band when will be music nerds, and in 30-50 years those bands could very well be totally unknown.

23. Bigbudukks

Bigbudukks Older, but no wiser.

Thanks for the clarification Captain Obvious. ( :biglaugh: Sorry, I just had to. :D)

Runicen likes this.
  24. Darryl D.

Darryl D. Forum Resident

I worked behind the counter at Karma Records (Louisville, KY) for a couple of years back in the early '80's. (I had to quit because I was spending too much money on the inventory!)

One day a dude comes to the register and wants to pay for his purchase with Canadian money. I politely asked if he had any US currency instead. He replied, "Canada is part of the United States too."

I took his money - - - How can you argue with someone like that?

25. Bigbudukks

Bigbudukks Older, but no wiser.

Did someone actually say that? Wow. :wtf:

When I lived in Seattle years ago Candian and American currency were so close in value everyone used them both interchangable. Eventually Candian currency went down in value and that stopped. It was handy, but a little strange at first.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.