Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

Second listen to "Rontgen - String trios 9-12" performed by the Lendvai String Trio on Champs Hill Records.

[​IMG]

2. sherrill50

sherrill50 Well-adapted Melomaniac

Had a first listen to this last night after picking it up at the library for a preview. A tragic story, an eclectic libretto (from multiple sources) and a contemporary composer (Craig Hella Johnson), all wrapped up in the form of a 'Passion'. I thought there was much to like here, but clearly will need a couple more listens before anything like a considered judgement.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
    SteelyTom and bluemooze like this.
  3. bluemooze

Now listening to CD 6 from "Pierre Boulez conducts Schoenberg" on Sony.

4 Pieces for Mixed Chorus Op. 27
    3 Satires for Mixed Chorus Op. 28
    6 Pieces for Male Chorus Op. 35
    Three Times A Thousand Years
    Psalm 130
    Moderner Psalm
    A Survivor from Warsaw

[​IMG]

4. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Nice to hear live music for a change, even if a few movements did have "too many notes".

bluemooze and sherrill50 like this.
  5. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Bought a bag of bargain CDs yesterday. Beautiful music by Tomas Luis de Victoria (1548-1611). Recorded in Westminster Cathedral, London, 11/2-4/83. Producer: Mark Brown. Engineer: Antony Howell.

Mik, bluemooze, David Ellis and 3 others like this.
  6. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Christie conducts his vocal & instrumental ensemble plus five vocal soloists in three motets. Recorded 6/8-12/94, Maison de Radio-France. Producer & editor: Martin Sauer. Engineer: Didier Gervais.

royzak2000, bluemooze and Wes H like this.
  7. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I don't have that one, but I do have to others, one with Alonso Lobo compositions and anther with Francisco Guerrero. Also beautiful music. I wasn't lucky enough to pay .95 for them

8. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

For some years now I have pretty much limited myself to paying $1 or less per CD or LP. My collection is quite large & I am retired but not yet collecting Social Security. I still find plenty to buy & enjoy, so my self-imposed limit is painless.

9. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I retire in 3 years. It'll be interesting to see what I have to cut back on.

10. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    This is a 1999 reissue of recordings made by the Society for the Preservation of the American Musical Heritage, which was founded by conductor Karl Krueger, a native of Kansas. Two of the recordings date to 6/66 and I presume the other two also date to the 60s. The pieces were written 1884-91. Recording engineers: Michael Claydon & Damon Lyon-Shaw. Shaw was the chief engineer for The Who's 'Tommy'. Restoration & mastering engineer: Adam Abeshouse.

bluemooze likes this.
  11. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

I retired 3 years ago-no Social Security yet. The first year I cut back a little. The second year I bought a house and cut back a lot. The third year I started seeing all these cheap box sets at around $1 per CD and bought 8 of them, along with some individual discs. I pre-ordered the 30th anniversary 30 CD Naxos box, but I think that will be it for a while.

bluemooze and vanhooserd like this.
  12. Pickering33

Pickering33 Forum Resident

This week the concert is the NYPO playing Bartok's Music for Strings, Percussion and Celesta and Mahler 4 at the Barbican. I think I'll begin with Bernstein's New York recordings of both pieces before sampling some of the other recordings in the collection.

scompton, bluemooze and ubertrout like this.
  13. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

Spotify Premium.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bluemooze and SteelyTom like this.
  14. Pickering33

I retired recently and have cut back on my CD buying. However, I bought lots in preparation for this time. I now go to lots of live music performances and use the recordings I have as preparation for these. I try to go to something every week and my listening has a new focus.

15. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

There is an orchestra here in town. I need to get my lazy butt to some of their concerts.

David Ellis likes this.
  16. Pickering33

I live in London where the amount of live music is extraordinary. In the last year I've seen 8 operas, including a semi-staged Ring Cycle by Opera North, a complete Sibelius cycle plus a lot of Bruckner, Mahler and Shostakovich. I'm also a member of Ronnie Scott's so plenty of jazz on offer too.

17. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

It seems like places like London and New York (I've been there) are great for music.

There are several redneck bars where I live. :sigh:

18. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Now playing, CD 22:
    Ludwig van Beethoven – Quartet for Strings No.7 in F major Op.59/1 "Razumovsky"
    — Paolo Borciani (violin), Elisa Pegreffi (violin), Piero Farulli (viola), Franco Rossi (cello) – Quartetto Italiano (Philips / Decca Music)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2ndtrumpet, Mik, crispi and 5 others like this.
  19. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Now, Vol.IV from this set: Piano Sonatas 12, Op.26; 13-14, Op.27/1-2; 15, Op.28. Recorded at the same venue in April 2005.

bluemooze likes this.
  20. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

NP. SACD version.

[​IMG]

David Ellis and bluemooze like this.
  21. bluemooze

Second listen to "Les Escholiers de Paris - Motets, chansons et estampies" performed by Ensemble Giles Binchois led by Dominique Vellard on Cantus.

[​IMG]

22. bluemooze

:edthumbs:

23. bluemooze

:edthumbs:

24. bluemooze

• Hours commuting
    • Trips to the gas station

25. bluemooze