Led Zeppelin III Sound Quality of Monarch Pressing

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tony-A, Mar 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tony-A

Tony-A Forum Resident Thread Starter

So how the reissue sound compared to the Canadian red label pressing?

Peace,
    Tony

2. Mikey679

Mikey679 Forum Resident

I like it. Although, I think I just got frustrated enough with not being able to find a clean red label, that I was ok with getting a quiet copy of this album even if it gives up a little something. I don't think it's bad by any stretch, I'm just glad to have a listening session where I'm not gritting my teeth at the heavy clicks and pops through each side of the lp!

Gregarious and dee like this.
  3. nolazep

nolazep Burrito Enthusiast

I have one of the 80s Feldman cuts and it sounds really nice, but I haven't done a direct comparison with my Mastercraft. The Mastercraft is definitely noisier.

I like the US pressings for side one and the UK Plum for side two. To my ears the first side of the UK Plum is more fatiguing but the acoustic stuff is great.

dee, Rockin' Robby and marcfeld69 like this.
  4. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Not after that cutdown lol

dee, Jonboy and Tony-A like this.
  5. Tony-A

I also favor the 80s Feldman. I would like to know how the Feldman compare against the new reissue.

Peace,
    Tony

6. dkswaff

dkswaff Forum Resident

There is a great scene in The Song Remains The Same of him doing this very thing. He was a jerk but he was THEIR jerk.

Jonboy likes this.
  7. Tony-A

Someone was selling counterfeit Zep t-shirts at the venue, and he was pissed off that the folks at Madison Square Garden didn't do anything to stop it, until the Zep's roadies noticed it. Peter's famous quote in the movie
    “As long as there’s an extra nickel to be drained by exploiting Led Zeppelin, they think there's money in it who tries to exploits it.."

8. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I wonder how much of the stuff he did (like the supposed Monarch requirements) was brown M&M's in the rider type stuff (Van Halen reference for those unfamiliar with the reference) - it had no real practical impact but it put the fear of God into everybody on everything.

ODShowtime likes this.
  9. Mikey679

Mikey679 Forum Resident

I've been on the look out for one of those 80's Feldman cuts of III. I have his cut of "Physical Graffiti" and I think it sounds great, makes me wonder if he did any more of the catalog?

10. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Listening to a Canadian Red label (TG) right now, and it does deliver, especially on the acoustic tracks. Immigrant Song is usually the test for any copy of this for me, as it usually lacks in punch where it should be thunderous. Here it is still a bit lacking (the nature of the recording I guess) but it kicks harder than US pressings do. I haven't heard a UK Plum label, but I feel the Canadian copy will be my last. I did have the reissue for about half an hour before it went back, as it was painfully clear the magic wasn't there. This one has it.

11. Christophe Lethimonnier

Christophe Lethimonnier Forum Resident

Hello,

For your information, the first spanish and italian pressings are exceptionnal. Better than some US or german pressings I have heard!

Cheers

Christophe

George Blair likes this.
  12. Christophe Lethimonnier

Christophe Lethimonnier Forum Resident

Hello

Read this thread and my contributions :

Ultimate Led Zeppelin Vinyl Pressings!

Cheers

Christophe

13. Vinyl1969

Vinyl1969 Forum Resident

I am hoping someone can help me with some Zep III pressing info. I am trying to help a friend and I cannot find the info on Discogs (could be user error though). I believe this is a Monarch pressing, but I can't find this exact info on Discogs.

Spine of Gatefold is Atlantic SD 7201
    Side 1 label has ST-A-702005-MO
    Side 2 label has ST-A-702006-MO

Per my friend, matrix in dead wax is the following:
    Side 1 says: “Do What Thou Wilt.” 1 (One) then a triangle 15193 Mastercraft ST-A-702005-B B MO

Side 2 says: “So Mote Be It” AT ST-A-702006-BB MO

Thanks

14. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Definitely a Monarch. Early US copy based on the Master Craft inscriptions.

GentleSenator and Dr. Funk like this.
  15. Vinyl1969

Vinyl1969 Forum Resident

Thanks. Early as in 1970? I seem to find info from 70 to 77. Seems like the values I see range from 20-50 (depending on condition). Thanks again.

16. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

Definitely early..........The earlier the better with this album when it comes to US Mastercraft pressings. I've owned a trunk load of these over the years, and my best sounding are those with early stampers. :thumbsup:

Vinyl1969 likes this.
  17. Pandrew79

Pandrew79 Swimming.

The Sam Feldman SD-19128 is incredible IMO. It's the first and only Zep III pressing I've heard that has appropriate BASS! Wow....this is how I imagined this album to sound. I've thought older pressings were anemic in the low end and never understood why. I stumbled upon this pressing and I'm not even curious as to how other pressings sound now, I'm completely happy with this. Tonally balanced, meaty, good treble, it rocks!

18. Dave Haladay

Dave Haladay Forum Resident

Recently looked at my Led Zeppelin III copy, and it is a Monarch MO pressing with Mastercraft and “So Mote Be It” on both run outs. I thoroughly cleaned it and gave it a listen. Having not played it in a long time, I was amazed how crisp and clear the recording was and the drums were very punchy. Very happy.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  19. Dave Haladay

In addition to my above post, I looked up these numbers and can't find my exact copy on Discogs. The Matrix numbers for the above Led Zeppelin III album are as follows:
    Side 1
    STA 702005 AA MO z (in circle) LR(1) One A15193 Mastercraft R "So Mte Be It)
    Side 2
    STA 702006 BB MO LR A z (In circle) Pyramid 15193 (2) Two Mastercraft PR :so Mote Be It"

I also looked up my copies of Led Zep I & II and didn't find exact matches for those either.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  20. Dave Haladay

Some mistakes corrected.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.