Paul McCartney Archive Collection - Flowers In The Dirt*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sean Murdock, Sep 18, 2015.

1. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

o_O
    Perhaps there is an original version of Motor of love sounding like the Sex Pistols.:)

2. supermd

supermd Senior Member

The 1988 demo has less reverb/echo and is slightly louder in volume, but just listen to all of Paul's nuances. It's all there. It's exactly the same, man. It may come off different, but it's the exact same vocal performance. If he's effortlessly hitting the notes in the 1988 version, he is, by definition, also effortlessly hitting them in the album version. Trust me on this.

3. Kwai Chang

Kwai Chang Forum Resident

Rough Ride is an integral piece of the album's theme.
    But, thank you, Bemagnus. I think you covered it.

Jayseph, theMess, freddiebell and 2 others like this.
  4. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

LOL!!

theMess likes this.
  5. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Can you send it to Capitol with a sticky note that says: "how f#%^* hard is that?!"

6. Fivebyfive

Fivebyfive Forum Resident

Well the Wells Fargo wagon that was supposed to arrive last week finally pulled up in front of my house today with my deluxe edition of FITD. Better late than never, I guess.

In short, this box set is seriously beautiful. The Ram set is still my favorite but, land sakes, this one (pun intended) is almost too pretty to touch. Put it there (OK, I'll stop) to whoever on Paul's team did the design (insert obligatory rant here about the downloads even though I'm fine with downloads).

7. Claudio Dirani

I think FITD is the very first box set that I feel Paul has covered at least 60-70% of what we have in storage. McCartney II was a complete one, too. The rest is average.

8. Fivebyfive

Fivebyfive Forum Resident

9. Claudio Dirani

theMess likes this.
  10. javilu77

javilu77 Forum Resident

Got a 10% ebay discount coupon on the email and bought this thing for USD 104 from Importcds.
    Hope it arrives safe and sound.

11. Thrillington

Thrillington McCartney Scholar

The 'Creative Direction and Design' of all sets so far has been done always been done by 'Yes'. They are a 'multidisciplinary design studio' in London who sadly do not get enough credit for the beautiful box sets.

Their website is a bit tricky to navigate for the uninitiated, but they have a couple of short pages on a couple of sets:

RAM: YES — {{pageTitle}}

Wings Over America: YES — {{pageTitle}}

"YES’ involvement was wide ranging — editorial consultancy, art direction, packaging and book design, in close collaboration with McCartney and his team."

12. Where the heck do I go for the downloads? I put in the address and it took me to a page with free downloads and no place to put in my code? What am I missing?

13. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

14. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

15. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

Did anybody else notice that the 24/96 download includes an extra track on disc 2 that is not included on the CD? My CD has 9 tracks, but on the 24/96 download they include a track 10 "02_10_The Lovers That Never Were (Geoff Emerick Mix)_24Bit_96kHz" -

Needless to say, I was quite surprised while playing this today for the first time and had to go back and fix some tags

16. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Not me! But that's a very nice resource for this release.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  17. DinsdaleP

DinsdaleP Senior Member

-----------
    McCartney tells PEOPLE exclusively... “It was great, coming really hot off the skillet."
    -----------

:laughup:

18. Joey_Corleone

I have always loved FITD, but wow, these demos are great. They should have released these in 1989 as a bonus or separate album!

CDC, theMess, JDeanB and 3 others like this.
  19. Mr. Explorer

Mr. Explorer Trumpet Man/Dapper Dan

On the physical CD, it's at the end of Track 9, tacked on as a hidden track!

Joey_Corleone likes this.
  20. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Only the physical CD included in the deluxe package. The 2-CD set does not have it.

21. balzac

balzac Senior Member

All good points, especially when it comes to the weird framerate/mastering issue.

When the "Magical Mystery Tour" and "1+" Beatles blu-rays came out and they f-ed those up too (search online for some articles that explain why randomly incorrect videos were flagged as 24fps versus 60fps, etc.), I gave up all hope that this issue is going to be fixed. I don't know what the deal is over there at Abbey Road or wherever it is they're mastering this film and video material. It's a subtle enough issue (for some) that it doesn't get much press. But it's really distracting, with that "Keystone Cops" effect prevalent in many cases.

Sadly, while "The McCartney Years" DVD set was a mess as far as cropped videos, at least everything looks right in terms of framerate.

At least the Criterion Blu-ray of AHDN isn't marred by this (nor are the "Help" or "Yellow Submarine" BDs as I recall).

Mr. Explorer, JDeanB and freddiebell like this.
  22. Joey_Corleone

Ahhhhh...sneaky. And will take my OCD over the edge lol

JDeanB likes this.
  23. Yes it was noted earlier. Maybe you can answer my question when I put in the website it takes me to the general download page. I'm having a dense day where did you go,to get the lossless download and put in the code?

24. gswan

gswan Forum Resident

Is my memory playing tricks?, I have a recolection of Paul mentioning the 89 touring band cut a version of Beautiful night during either sessions for Flowers or Off the ground, but wasn't happy with the result?.

It's not the Billy Joel band version I'm thinking of.

theMess likes this.
  25. Joey_Corleone

Just followed the instructions on the card that came with my set. It was painful, but it worked fine.

Lewisboogie likes this.