Bates Motel on A&E - Anyone Watching? *

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by rockclassics, Mar 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I still can't believe more people don't watch this show. 6 years or so and it's still under the radar.

rburly likes this.
  2. balzac

balzac Senior Member

I was just talking with someone about this. It's not like a total under the radar, obscure show. It got an Emmy nomination (in the first season at least?), and does well in the ratings and on streaming/home video.

They've tried to hit that sort of pop culture critical mass with it, trying to market merchandise at Hot Topic for a short time (night lights, towels, etc.), and nobody bought the stuff. So it's true I guess that it isn't quite to that pop culture level of "The Walking Dead" or even "Stranger Things" more recently.

Remember when they even tried an "aftershow" a few seasons back, trying to rip off "Talking Dead?" That was a trainwreck. Though it appears they *are* going to try it again with an aftershow after the series finale in a few weeks here. How they're going to cover much of anything in about 20 minutes of post-show, I have no idea.

But the show made it; it completed its run and didn't get canceled. I kind of wish they had got in another season or two, but either way it's a great show.

chacha likes this.
  3. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member Thread Starter

This weeks episode was certainly a twist. It will be interesting to see what happens in the remaining episodes and how they wrap it up. I do hope they leave it somewhat open ended so that if they ever decide to pick it up again they can.

4. chacha

The New Adventures Of Old Norma Bates - the laugh riot coming this fall to CBS.

5. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Okay, so that episode was intense! That was definitely not the direction I expected the episode or the series to go at any point. I'm referring specifically to Norman's decision in the final scene for those who have seen the latest episode. A very interesting turn of events with only 3 more episodes to go!

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
    D-rock likes this.
  6. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I have been thinking about the series might end and the idea that keeps popping in my head is that Norman and Madeline end up living together in the house and somehow Madeline becomes the living version of Norma.

rockclassics and Lonson like this.
  7. rockclassics

Interesting idea and a bit of a twist.

However it ends I would like to see it somewhat open ended so they could pick it back up down the road.

rburly and tonyc like this.
  8. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I think when this show is over, it's over. There may have been a Psycho II but I doubt anybody is going to be asking Freddie Highmore to play Norman in 20 years.... while the show has turned out to be an unexpected pleasure and critically well-regarded, it's only a modest success from what I can see.

They've tried to upend expectations from the movie so far so I wouldn't be surprised if Norman dies at the end. It would go with the more tragic take on him they've had from the beginning.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
    tonyc and D-rock like this.
  9. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Norma's line at the well, "If I had a quarter, I’d make a wish" was the best line of the season for me. :laugh:

Craig and D-rock like this.
  10. chacha

Much as I love this show, I would think Freddie Highmore was ready to leave Norman behind. 6 years of playing this character would do strange things to one's head.

tonyc and D-rock like this.
  11. chacha

It seemed to me there must have been almost 20 minutes of commercials in the most recent episode.

12. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

They're all like that. They start off great, and then in the second half...it's 5 minutes of show, 5 minutes of commercials.

rburly and chacha like this.
  13. rockclassics

Way way too many commercials tonight. 3 minutes of show and 5 minutes or more of commercials. Impossible to watch this show in real time.

14. chacha

Yes it seems like there's more commercials. I always DVR it and was shocked last week how there were 5+ minute blocks of ads. I don't remember it being this bad before but not sure.

15. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

The show is now running 63-65 minutes so yes all the extra time is commercials.

Any comments on what was actually shown in between the commercials?

16. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

A second before Romero killed Chick I thought that was going to be it. Something I actually got right. My thought on how the series might end was not.

The creators are doing a great job of keeping me guessing. No clue how it is going to end but the latest preview was so ominous I think Norman may live.

DreadPikathulhu and rockclassics like this.
  17. rockclassics

I think Norman will live and probably get off on all of the murders.

18. balzac

balzac Senior Member

A nice little twist where "Mother" as Norman tries to frame Madeleine Loomis for Sam's murder.

I still think the new Sheriff is a slightly odd choice acting-wise. Nothing major, though.

Chick's death was rather abrupt, but I suppose deaths often tend to be rather abrupt on this show.

I'm curious if anyone will else will ever learn about Caleb's death. Norman is the only one now who knows. Unless Romero or Dylan read Chick's book-in-progress, they would probably never find out.

19. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Dylan seems to be unable to utter out loud the words "I think Norman killed someone." He always talks around it.

I don't really know why he's not cooperating with the investigation... Norman has a pretty airtight insanity defense -- he was already institutionalized -- so he's unlikely to go to prison no matter what they find.

20. rockclassics

I have the feeling Chick's notes and partially finished book may figure into the ending but I'm not sure how.

21. chacha

Wow, that's quite a spoiler to lead off a post with.

22. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

The weird thing is I was watching the episode and reading this thread and I read his post. . . a second before that happened in the show!

23. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

The last episode was two days ago.

24. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

If you are worried about spoilers, what are you doing reading a discussion about a TV show that's been broadcast?

jon9091 and tonyc like this.
  25. balzac

balzac Senior Member

Exactly. I've stayed away from other threads here if I haven't caught up on a show (or, in cases where I'm not *that* into a show but haven't caught up, I might read anyway, knowing I'll read things I haven't seen yet).

This doesn't apply to anyone here in this thread, but on a related topic, I'm pretty sick of the world "Spoilers" and how the internet assumes (perhaps justifiably) that people can't be adults and can't handle something being "spoiled." I watch a random review on YouTube, and it has to be prefaced with 27 "SPOILER WARNING" notices, even if the movie is year old, sometimes even if it's 20 years old. It'll be tagged as "Spoiler", will have "Spoiler" in the title, then an on-screen graphic at the beginning of the video, and then in the middle of the review the person speaking will give another verbal warning and then drag it out forever. I probably can't blame the people doing this, because I'm guessing they *do* get a rash of complaints from viewers.

If someone is reviewing or discussing something that hasn't come out yet, or hasn't aired, and/or is reporting on some sort of "leaked" information or footage or pics or something ("Luke Skywalker will be decapitated in the opening scene of "The Last Jedi" according to new set photos!"), then that's different.

But once it's "out there" (and really, this includes once press screenings start for movies that haven't hit the masses yet), you really gotta stay away from discussion and reviews until you've seen it if you're worried about spoilers.

DreadPikathulhu and tonyc like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.