Real Gone music UK/EU - Public Domain Releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Shvartze Shabbos, Aug 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shvartze Shabbos

Shvartze Shabbos Senior Member Thread Starter

That's my experience too. Never had a digipack. Always the fat box style case.

2. snipe

snipe Forum Resident

I have received a few digipacks - Sun Singles v1 & v2 and Bo Diddley.

melstapler likes this.
  3. smallworld

smallworld Forum Resident

EAN 5036408189929

DISC I.
    1. September Song
    2. For Your Precious Love
    3. Don't Take Your Love From Me
    4. Come Back My Love
    5. If You Let Me
    6. The Challenge
    7. Chi Town
    8. Rainbow Valley
    9. I Was Wrong
    10. Lost
    11. No End or Time
    12. You Go Right Through Me
    13. Hold Me My Darling
    14. Silent Night
    15. O Holy Night
    16. Moon River
    17. Isle of Sirens

DISC II.
    1. He Will Break Your Heart
    2. The Gift of Love
    3. Teardrops From My Eyes
    4. Give Me Your Love
    5.. Have a Good Time
    6. A Lonely Soldier
    7. Thanks to You
    8. Sweet Was the Wine
    9. Butterfly
    10. After the Laughter
    11. The Lights Went Out
    12. I Found a Love
    13. Make It Easy On Yourself
    14. Its Too Late
    15. You Can Run (But You Can't Hide)
    16. I'm the One That Loves You
    17. The Wishing Well

DISC III.
    1. Where Do I Turn?
    2. Aware of Love
    3. When Trouble Calls
    4. Without Your Love
    5. Couldn't Go To Sleep
    6. I'm a Telling You
    7. The Wicked Man
    8. I See a Fool
    9. Love Me
    10. One By One
    11. Is This True Love
    12. Find Another Girl
    13. The Gift of Love
    14. At the Country Fair
    15. I Need Your Love
    16. Don't Leave Me

DISC IV.

1. Listen
    2. Shorty's Got To Go
    3. Lovely One
    4. Senorita I Love You
    5. Say That You Love Me
    6. A New Love
    7. Gypsy Woman
    8. As Long As You Love Me
    9. Can't You See
    10. Grow Closer Together
    11. Never Let Me Go
    12. Little Young Lover
    13. Minstrel and Queen
    14. You've Come Home

John B Good likes this.
  4. slinkyfarm

slinkyfarm Forum Resident

I've picked up a few of them. I prefer ProperBox releases because of the attention and detail put into their booklets, but it's a lot of stuff I'd never have bought at traditional non-PD boxed-set prices, or at least not in quantity. They've all supplemented smaller collections I already had.

As for the public-domain status, most of this stuff is nearing the end of its commercial lifespan and there are catalogs that need availability before the artists fall into obscurity. There are artists from before WWII whom I'd love to see get even a bare-bones package like Real Gone's, but the window of opportunity for a deep-catalog commercial release has already closed.

5. I don't see that at all.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  6. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

My Everly Brothers and Merle Travis copies are digipak, my Bo Diddley is a jewel case.

7. snipe

snipe Forum Resident

[​IMG]

8. My Bo Diddley happened to come in a fatboy jewel case.

9. Shvartze Shabbos

Do you recommend this Bo Diddley set?

10. It's listenable. Don't expect pristine audio. As I am not a diehard Bo Diddley follower, I really don't have a great frame of reference for many of these songs.

11. BradOlson

When it comes to European PD stuff, as long as it is enjoyable to me, that's what matters. Good sound is a bonus as you can't expect miracles.

luckyno13 and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  12. BradOlson

I have just gotten the Tennessee Ernie Ford Real Gone EU set featuring these albums from 1955-1960: This Lusty Land (an album of folk standards) Hymns (a million selling Gospel LP), Favorities (notable for the first LP appearance of Sixteen Tons), Ol' Rockin' Ern (notable for the the first LP appearances of Milk 'Em In The Mornin' Blues, Catfish Boogie, Anticipation Blues, Country Junction, Blackberry Boogie, Smokey Mountain Boogie), Spirituals (another million selling Gospel LP), The Star Carol (a huge selling Christmas album at the time), Nearer The Cross and Sing a Hymn With Me (2 more Gospel albums and were huge sellers). Packaged in a digipak.

They should've added Bright Lights And Blonde Haired-Women, Cry of The Wild Goose, Mule Train, Philadelphia Lawyer to Disc 2 as that would have been a perfect expanded CD issue of the "Sixteen Tons" Starline LP which contains his first 12 country charted singles.

Previous CD issues of any of the albums: This Lusty Land - There is a Jasmine CD and a Hallmark CD (both public domain), never on licensed CD issues.

Hymns - Domestic CD issue: Tennessee Ernie Ford - Hymns - Amazon.com Music (there are other PD issues of this including this twofer with Spirituals: TENNESSEE ERNIE FORD - Hymns & Spirituals - Amazon.com Music )

Spirituals - Domestic CD issue: Tennessee Ernie Ford - Spirituals - Amazon.com Music (there are other PD issues of this including this twofer with Hymns: TENNESSEE ERNIE FORD - Hymns & Spirituals - Amazon.com Music )

Many of the tracks on Favorites and Ol' Rockin' Ern can be found on this Bear Family CD: Tennessee Ernie Ford - Sixteen Tons - Amazon.com Music and 12 of the songs on the Bear Family can be found on this Capitol CD: Tennessee Ernie Ford - Sixteen Tons - Amazon.com Music The Sixteen Tons album can also be found at TEF CENTRAL - SIXTEEN TONS-CLOSEUP

Star Carol can be bought at ernieford.com (TEF CENTRAL-THE STAR CAROL-CLOSEUP ) and here's the original Capitol CD pressing: Tennessee Ernie Ford - Star Carol - Amazon.com Music and many of the tracks were also issued on this 2 CD set: Tennessee Ernie Ford - Tennessee Ernie Ford: Christmas Favorites - Amazon.com Music

I couldn't find any previous CD issue of Nearer the Cross or Sing a Hymn With Me.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  13. Shvartze Shabbos

I'm embarrassed to say I don't own any TEF. Well until now, I just ordered the Sixteen Tons Bear Family disc. Can't wait to hear it!

GodBlessTinyTim likes this.
  14. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

Yeah, they're Keith Bessey's remasters from 1993. Both Mono and STEREO tracks have that Chorus reverb on them, it's awful, Even worse, tracks like Bachelor Boy that exist in Stereo are in Mono, and they even use the wrong take of it on the recent CD's too! (The only CD I know of with the original hit version, though in 2-track stereo is the 40 Golden Greats).

OneStepBeyond likes this.
  15. BradOlson

For more 50s Tennessee Ernie Ford, get the Real Gone collection but Sixteen Tons, Vintage Collections Series or the Capitol Collectors Series are the collections to start with. Enjoy this music that is essential to any collection of American popular music throughout the years. The Gospel stuff is what makes the Real Gone UK collection what it is and it is a very thorough overview of a lot of his earliest Gospel recordings.

16. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident

That's a really fun collection. It's slanted towards his upbeat numbers, but I'm pretty sure it has all his early hits.

Oh yeah, Proper has to be one of the best PD labels. From them I have the two Cosimo Matassa Story sets and the Bill Haley box. They should have held off releasing the Bill Haley one for a few years so later hits like "Skinny Minnie" and "Joey's Song" could have been included. The Cosimo Matassa boxes are perfect though. New Orleans rock 'n' roll in a nutshell.

17. BradOlson

18. snipe

snipe Forum Resident

I just ordered the Real Gone Elvis USA Singles Collection 1954-1962 Plus Bonus EP's set. I'm sure I already have all the stuff, but it's nice to have all in one place.

melstapler likes this.
  19. BradOlson

This plus the price is what draws people to PD stuff.

melstapler and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  20. Does anyone know what the sources are for Real Gone? I have their Ella Fitzgerald Songbook volumes and the SQ is very good indeed but noticeably different to either the original Verve CD's or the later "Master Edition" Verve discs. There is some very fine tape hiss but other than that they are as clear as a bell and definitely not LP sourced. Any ideas?

Front 242 Addict and melstapler like this.
  21. Claude

Claude Senior Member

Different how? It could be that they applied some EQ to CD rips. It could also be that they used the Ella hi-rez download releases as a source for their CDs.

melstapler likes this.
  22. Different, as in sound-stage and clarity: vocal slightly closer or further back, yes, different EQ here and there. Neither consistently better or worse, just different. These releases pre-date the hi-res downloads too.

melstapler and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  23. BradOlson

24. BradOlson

Speaking of Bear Family mentioned earlier, there is the Portrait of An American Singer box with contains the his secular material of his prime, and the Real Gone UK will cover a lot of the religious albums of his prime until Bear Family decides to box up all of the Gospel albums.

Tennessee Ernie Ford - Portrait Of An American Singer - Amazon.com Music

The entire "Ford Favorites" and "Ol' Rockin' Ern" albums are included in the Bear Family box, BTW. It's the Gospel albums and the Star Carol albums that make the Real Gone collection what it is.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  25. snipe

snipe Forum Resident

Does anyone know what's on the "new" Ray Charles 18 Classic Albums set? Is it just a rehash of their previous Ray Releases?
    Ray Charles - 18 Classic Albums - Amazon.com Music
    They already have 3: Eight Classic Albums, 7 Classic Albums Plus Bonus Singles, and Singles Collection 1949-1962 Plus Modern Sounds in Country & Western v1-2.
    My rudimentary math puts that at 17 albums + singles.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.