Who Else Collects Music That Their Partner Actively Loathes?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave Thompson, Mar 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

She likes Billy Joel and Maroon 5, dislikes AC/DC and Rush. She's always a woman to me :p

Dave S and Johnny Rocker like this.
  2. DamnDirtyApe

DamnDirtyApe Forum Resident

The misses refuses to celebrate the Holy Trinity. Calls it nerd music.

3. Johnny Rocker

Johnny Rocker Well-Known Member

Rush is defo a bro thing. I saw AC-DC in concert, the rock what else can I say.:cool:

Fullbug and driverdrummer like this.
  4. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

She loves the music. It's me she actively loathes.

:help:

5. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Anything Metal?

6. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

This but apparently Bob Dylan is the most reviled. A Dylan song will make her leave the room faster than gnarly flatulance. Which is useful information if you've been married long enough.

7. Grow Fins

Grow Fins ...and leave you laaaaand-lubbing women alone

Over here, my wife is the one that likes Tom Waits, Husker Du, Elliott Smith, Dinosaur Jr. and the like - she's the one that introduced me to most of them. I generally think she has great taste in music, even though she's come off music a bit since the kids were born (who make plenty of noise by themselves already!).

The one thing she really can't stand is the soul/funk section of my collection - say, Prince or Isaac Hayes really would clear her out of the room. Vice versa, I don't share her appreciation for Conor Oberst/Bright Eyes. Generally, however, our tastes tend to be well aligned, and I'm looking forward to going to some gigs with her over the summer - Afghan Whigs will be our first :)

8. Bananas&blow

This is the best thread I've read in a long time on this forum. My wife likes Britney Spears. She tells me likes the rolling stones but every time I've put them on she no likey. Tonight I was listening to some real smooth Bee Gee's and she just looked at me like "keep that on and it's not happening tonight" and then said "Bee Gee's party for 1" and closed the door. That's why I always close the deal before I put the Bee Gee's on after.

Fullbug, JasonA, timind and 1 other person like this.
  9. Maccaroni

Maccaroni Forum Resident

My solution: find a new Mrs.

My ex and I had V.ery divergent tastes. Nightmare.

The current lady her indoors is a keeper - loves most everything I do.

There's upsides everywhere in this arrangement, not least of which is that I can buy records on my want list for her for her birthday. Or tickets for shows I want to see. Win/win.

10. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 An erotic adventurer of the most deranged kind....

My wife hates (HATES, HATES!!) Kate Bush :(

francocozzolives and ddrexj like this.
  11. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

What's the Holy Trinity?

12. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

She hates Dylan and loathes Roger Waters, she once threw a teapot at my HiFi when Desire was playing, it missed and went through the window. Miles Davis doesn't go down to well either.

Fullbug and driverdrummer like this.
  13. timind

timind phorum rezident

My ex-wife and I would listen to records together instead of watching tv most nights, especially the first few years of our marriage. I can't think of any musical differences we had. When we divorced, she took the stereo and most of the albums; bitch.
    The current wife will only listen to current pop music. When we were dating in the mid-80s there was a lot we both enjoyed, Thompson Twins, Frankie Goes To Hollywood, Tears For Fears and the like, but this was all pop back then. She was very happy to let me set up my "stereo room" as soon as space allowed though. Disdain is how I'd describe her attitude toward my music.
    Eight years with first wife; 32 years of bliss with current wife. Go figure.

After our divorce, the ex saw a therapist who described our relationship as two good friends who weren't romantically engaged. Perfect description. We still see each other at family events with our kids and grandkids. Hell, she and her husband come over at Thanksgiving and Christmas eve.

driverdrummer likes this.
  14. panicproject

panicproject VinylVinylVinylVinyl

me GF like a lot of the same music as me (blues, surf rock, etc) trouble is I have a huge admiration for death metal and grindcore. she actually gets really pissed when i play it .

Fullbug likes this.
  15. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

I can relate to that exactly. My wife gave me a hassle about clutter for years until I finally gave in, started getting rid of some stuff, and then to her delight, started to feel that she was right all along. I've since moved to preferring minimum clutter. In our case it didn't help that we're in a relatively small New York City apartment--no basement or anything like that for me to pile stuff in.

16. Bananas&blow

yes, you are the only one.

SirMarc likes this.
  17. My heart sunk for a moment,

18. Bananas&blow

A wife, a girlfriend and a dancer "friend".

Fullbug and JasonA like this.
  19. Yannick

Yannick Forum Resident

My ex does not like my "music for old men" a/k/a dad rock, Americana, country and 80s pop. I do not like her symphonic metal and other metal. However, there is music which we both could enjoy, but we weren't in the mood for that all the time.

20. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

My wife and I listened to a lot of Westcoast ("Yacht Rock") early on in the relationship. It does set a certain mood.

21. DamnDirtyApe

DamnDirtyApe Forum Resident

lol.. it's joke slang for RUSH, because there are only 3 members.

In this clip Paul Rudd calls them the "Holy Triumvirate"

Fullbug likes this.
  22. Davmoco

Davmoco Forum Resident

My wife stopped paying attention to music about 20 years ago. She listens to audiobooks in the car.

Joti Cover likes this.
  23. jawink

jawink New Member

Dylan except a couple of songs from New Morning. Rush for sure (I would be skeptical of any woman who likes them)...I keep Crimson to myself also, but she bought me Red for Christmas a while back. She has good taste otherwise.

24. miklew

miklew Forum Resident

My wife loves Rush! She went to a show with her girlfriends on their last tour . Maybe it's because they are hometown boys and we all love them up here in Toronto.

jawink and hutchenstance like this.
  25. broshfab4

broshfab4 Forum Resident

No partner means NO problems, my friend. I get to play what I want and when I want!

Fullbug likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.