ELO in RRHOF: now what?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Comet01, Dec 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. geodos

geodos Forum Resident

Hey kwadguy, Just saw the colorized version of my photos. Cool. Thanks! They look better than the actual color photos!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. I wouldn't hold your breath for any Jeff Lynne involvement in this new reissue as he's distanced himself from Electric Dreams, albeit in less of a vocal way than he previously did with the Xanadu project. I'd normally elaborate on such a comment, but I really am trying to hold something back for my book - I've got publishers breathing down my neck regarding the huge amount of information that I'm regularly sharing freely online (which is now going to need rewriting, not that I personally mind helping flesh out details concerning ELO's past and possible future projects).

P.S. For the record, I've always considered Let It Run one of the finest hidden gems in Jeff's catalogue!

3. lawrev

lawrev Forum Resident

Any word of who is inducting ELO into the RRHOF?

TrekkiELO likes this.
  4. I read something similar. Might have been the same article. The one I saw was in Mojo magazine but I don't recall the issue.

TrekkiELO likes this.
  5. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

It should be someone like Paul McCartney or Tom Petty or Bob Dylan.

I'd be happy with Rick Nielsen or Dhani Harrison.

I expect Kid Rock's sister. Or Sharon Osbourne so she can talk about how she came up with the Eldorado cover. Or Jimmy Fallon dressed up like him or something. Blah blah blah.

6. I can definitely imagine Tom Petty, Joe Walsh or Dhani Harrison inducting Jeff* into the Hall of Fame...

*I meant ELO. Obviously! ;)

longaway, lawrev and fsutall like this.
  7. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

Maybe a question that could be wagered on... how long will Jeff's acceptance speech be? My guess would be under 5 minutes. :)

TrekkiELO and Comet01 like this.
  8. npgchris

npgchris Forum Resident

Cheap Trick (or Rick by himself) would be a good choice for the induction honors.

Although (like me), I suspect they would rather induct The Move than ELO!

I suspect we won't know until the night of the ceremony, just who is going to be there, and what they will play??

9. Bruceanthony

Bruceanthony Forum Resident

This was posted online today. click link below.

Ex-ELO Drummer Bev Bevan Won't Attend Rock Hall Induction

Electric Light Orchestra fans hoping for a reunion between former bandmates Jeff Lynne and Bev Bevan at the band’s upcoming Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction won’t be getting their wish.

Bevan broke the news with a recent Facebook post, explaining he has prior commitments with U.K. television personality Jasper Carrott. “These dates have been sold out for some time, and when the news broke about our induction, it was too late to change them,” wrote Bevan. “It would have been fantastic to meet up with Roy, Jeff and Richard again.”

Calling the induction “a great honor,” Bevan shared his enthusiasm for being part of a body that includes a number of his peers and musical heroes while singling out fellow ELO vets Mik Kaminski, Hugh McDowell, Melvyn Gale and Kelly Groucutt as being deserving of recognition at the induction. Unsurprisingly, the looming induction finds Bevan feeling reflective — and full of gratitude.

“I have been incredibly fortunate to have had a life in the music business from my first band ‘Rocking Ronnie & The Renegades’ to Black Sabbath and all the bits in between,” he wrote. “It has been a blast and I still get a buzz every time I walk out onstage. However, I would like to add that without the support of the record-buying and concert-going public my great career could never have happened. So a huge thank you goes out to everyone who has ever purchased a record that I played on or been to any of the concerts.”

Read More: Ex-ELO Drummer Bev Bevan Won't Attend Rock Hall Induction | Ex-ELO Drummer Bev Bevan Won't Attend Rock Hall Induction

TrekkiELO likes this.
  10. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

Funky Moped or the RNRHOF? I know which one I'd pick and I love some Jasper. I'm probably being a bit suspicious about this but I find him picking the gig, one of many, over the once in a lifetime chance to do the HOF thing a bit odd. Maybe he can't afford the air fare, etc, which would be unlikely as I'd expect the HOF to pick up those sort of tabs. It's a shame, I would have grinned from ear to ear to see the four of them back together again, if only for a few minutes. :agree:

Oh, and Shardender, any news on those thick, rare plastic discs you posted a picture of in the other thread? Or daren't I ask? :winkgrin:

TrekkiELO, lawrev and npgchris like this.
  11. npgchris

npgchris Forum Resident

I read this statement of Bev's over the weekend. When ELO's induction was first announced a while back, Bev expressed hope that he might be able to play with Jeff and Roy again at the ceremony, although he also noted that he would be fine if that didn't come to pass. I can't help but wonder if his quotes at that time left out this prior commitment because he was hoping he could get the shows rescheduled, or if maybe something has happened in the interim that has caused him to reconsider attending, and this reason he's now giving is the "official" excuse, err, reason he won't be there.

Inquiring minds wanna know!

TrekkiELO and edenofflowers like this.
  12. npgchris

npgchris Forum Resident

That's funny, it looks like we were writing more or less the same thing at the same time!

I'm not positive, but I don't think the RRHOF picks up the tab for inductees travel and lodging. So I suppose that could factor in here...

TrekkiELO and edenofflowers like this.
  13. lawrev

lawrev Forum Resident

Here's another question that one can put a wager on: How many times does Jeff say "I" during the induction speech. :D

ShardEnder and TrekkiELO like this.
  14. Maybe Jeff could get Alex Lifeson to write a speech for him

15. Comet01

Comet01 Forum Resident Thread Starter

My guess is that he will struggle to string together 5 sentences.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
    grimble, TrekkiELO and ampmods like this.
  16. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

Ha

17. Michaelpeth

Michaelpeth Forum Resident

Dhani Harrison apparently

ShardEnder, Comet01 and ampmods like this.
  18. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

Lifeson will be there! He'll be inducting Yes.

imawalrus likes this.
  19. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

well it looks like Bev and Jeff are still fighting then! sad and if its just lynne and tandy then it will be a joke ! yes jeff wrote and produced the songs but really there is more to the group than just Jeff!

Lonesurf, TrekkiELO and npgchris like this.
  20. lawrev

lawrev Forum Resident

Dhani Harrison is inducting ELO. That's a good choice.

TrekkiELO, fitzysbuna and npgchris like this.
  21. There you go! :edthumbs: All Jeff has to do it sidle up to Alex before the show and ask if he wouldn't mind jotting down a few words. As much as I love Jeff (after all he did write and record my all time favorite song, The Move's version of "Do Ya"), I doubt he can equal the eloquent panache exhibited by Alex in his 2013 acceptance speech.

ampmods likes this.
  22. That might as well be a prediction of Jeff on the podium in emoji form!

23. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

I can see after a long intro by Dhani, Jeff comes out and shakes his hand just stands there and smiles for a bit. Then says something like "Right chuffed to be here. Thanks to the fans. And to Roy and Bev and Richard and the others. It's a real honor. to join my heroes George, John, Paul and Ringo and Bob and Roy and Tom and Del too. Thank you." And that's it.

Haristar, jlf, TrekkiELO and 3 others like this.
  24. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Given Lynne's fifth-Beatle status, it's kinda ironic that his ex-partner is working with the guy who originated that fake Lennon quote about Ringo's drumming.

TrekkiELO likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.