R.S.D. 2017: Neil Young's "Decade" (1977)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Vinyl Socks, Mar 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident

I remember buying this set in the 80s, possibly my second or third NY album after Harvest and After The Goldrush. Down To The Wire still blows me away. How did Buffalo Springfield not release that one ? It's a minor masterpiece.

2. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

Similar to the reports about the Bowie RSD numbers, I'm sure there will end up being more than 5,000. It seems that the numbers on the US list are not worldwide, perhaps to generate more interest?

Vinyl Socks likes this.
  3. mogambotek

mogambotek Forum Resident

As someone who owns almost all the studio albums, is this set still worth buying? I'm not a huge fan of "greatest hits" or artist compilations. That being said, is this still worth picking up?

Vinyl Socks likes this.
  4. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

There are four or five tracks unavailable elsewhere.

I guess it depends how much of a completist you are!

Sean, Vinyl Socks and mogambotek like this.
  5. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver Thread Starter

That's a steal for a 3LP (possibly) analog remaster of Decade.

6. Vinyl Socks

It's a great compilation of songs, IMO, and the track order is very well-done.

Rockinrob, lightbulb, e.s. and 2 others like this.
  7. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Making of the classic greatest hits album 'limited release' is just frustrating and doesn't make sense to me at all.

I'd love to grab this...but other than overpaying on line... pretty sure this won't be in the cards.

8. Vinyl Socks

If it is a matter of having to resort to using a spliced-up set of reels to remaster this collection (though I'd imagine cost isn't too much of an issue), possibly in inferior condition (again, I'd imagine they were well-taken care of)...they may have resorted to other means.
    One thing about Neil Young releases is...he typically gives a lot of details about the preparation and mastering of each album, so I think we'll see this info within a few weeks.

Ryan_Pretzel likes this.
  9. Vinyl Socks

35 to 40 bucks online is a decent deal when you know the corporate shops will be charging $63.98... it's good to support locally-owned record stores...but in rural areas, you have the internet or the over-priced corporate music store at the mall.

10. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I wouldn't be so bitter if places like Bull Moose shipped to Canada. They've got "Moose" in their name ! Damn.

11. smitquest

smitquest Forum Resident

ship it to me, i'll bring it up next time i'm in town to stop at the "loose moose"!

smitquest

12. Vinyl Socks

I think Amazon ships to Canada.

13. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

One of the best best-of's ever released. Now that the whole period covered by Decade has been remastered, I would hope it gets reissued with the same "new" mastering. The old CD didn't sound bad, but it could be better and was clearly taken by the original LP master (i.e. a master compiled by dubbing the corresponding songs from the original tapes) rather than direct from each of the original masters.

14. And it's also got a handful of Buffalo Springfield tracks on the 1st/2nd sides which I do not think happens on any other Neil Young compilation on vinyl. And it would be the only place to get Down to the Wire, Winterlong, Deep Forbidden Lake, Love is a Rose and Campaigner. Plus the CSNY version of Long May You Run which is fantastic.

lightbulb likes this.
  15. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

They also have "Bull" in their name, we have other options for most stuff fortunately.

That is not a bad list price considering the costs of some of the other reissues on vinyl. I hope it sounds good and gets a digital release in the next Decade.

16. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Yes.

Sean, Man at C&A, Vinyl Socks and 2 others like this.
  17. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

It does say release date of 04/22/2017 so it appears that it is not an old listing.

18. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

You're correct. I think I need glasses. That price, surprisingly, is quite reasonable - all things considered.

Vinyl Socks likes this.
  19. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

If it's mastered to the standard of the NY archive vinyl I may feel compelled to buy this.

Vinyl Socks likes this.
  20. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

On my list for 4/22... hope i find a copy in one of the 3 stores I plan to hit. One of the first CDs I purchased in the late 80s. I've seen vinyl copies in used bins here and there but they tend to be overpriced and in poor conditon.

21. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl, CD (twice), and the 80s double-cassette version. I have dreamed about this reissue for a long time.
    Never had an issue with sound quality...this one should be well-made.

22. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

I think this will be hi-res done by Bellman. I just can't see them going through the extra to do AAA for a compilation...it's one thing doing it for studio albums but another thing entirely for a compilation.

Ryan_Pretzel and Vinyl Socks like this.
  23. Vinyl Socks

With so much analog vinyl available from Neil Young...maybe his fans are really thirsty for a well-done, 24/192 vinyl mastering of Decade.
    The possibilities are endless...and I'd have to say I'd enjoy hearing it. Now...if only all of the Buffalo Springfield cuts were the dedicated mono mixes...

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
    richbdd01 likes this.
  24. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I would say that any 3LP new release for $36 is a pretty fair price.

Christopher B, supermd, Sean and 6 others like this.
  25. Vinyl Socks

Agreed. I think we can expect 140 or 150-gram pressings at that price, and that's alright with me!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.