Speaker stand advice

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Kal, Mar 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kal

Kal New Member Thread Starter

I've been reading through old threads on advice for speaker stands, and I've learned that those that you can fill offer the best sound. This has steered me away from buying the Sanus natural foundation stands I was previously considering. I've purchased some Monitor Audio Bronze 2 speakers, and I've narrowed down my choices to Atacama Moseco 6 vs Skylan SP27.

Does anyone have specific experience or advice regarding these two choices? I greatly appreciate it!

2. dogpile

dogpile Generation X record spinner.

IME, speaker stand materials, sand-filled, spiked feet, metal or wood, etc....did not make much difference.

What did make a difference was speaker placement, speaker height and toe-in...sweet spot location is essential.

3. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

No personal experience with Atacama, but have seen many positive owner comments. I have Skylan stands and highly recommend them.

Proper stands make a marked improvement, I'm not sure why they didn't for dogpile.

In case you were not aware of this company......

Lautsprecherständer, Boxenständer by Liedtke Metalldesign

4. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

It's been my experience that when a bookshelf speaker needs a particular type of stand to sound its best, the manufacturer usually makes a complementary stand that they sell to you for double the price of third party stands.

Adam9, timind, patient_ot and 3 others like this.
  5. Blank Frank

Blank Frank King of Carrot Flowers

Depends on the individual speaker.

I still have a pair of small standmounts from one British manufacturer: first demo'd at dealer on some huge, solid, filled cast offs from an oil rig and they sounded fantastic; at home on a pair of lightweight, open frame stands they were rubbish and the bass had run away. Oddly the manufacturer recommends heavy stands...

I bought a pair of heavier weight stands and did not look back.

And then you have the likes of the Linn Kann, which work really well on open frame stands, as they were designed to.

Check the manufacturer's recommendations.

6. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

No experience with those particular models, but spending ~$300 on stands for ~$400 speakers seems a bit ridiculous IMHO. I'd check locally for a used set of speaker stands. I picked up a nice set of heavy B&W stands that way. If you're forced to buy new, I'd agree that fillable stands are probably a good idea. I just wouldn't spend too much on them.

7. AmericanHIFI

AmericanHIFI Long live analog (and current digital).

8. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Good stands are not cheap and cheap stands are not good.

Unfortunately, too many discount the importance of a good stand.

Blank Frank and AmericanHIFI like this.
  9. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

I've found recently that packing the hollow tube(s) of my speaker stands with memory foam, rather than lead shot made a marked difference in reducing any sort of ringing and bass really tightened up too.

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  10. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Interesting!

GuildX700 likes this.
  11. Paul Chang

Paul Chang Forum Old Boy, Former Senior Member Has-Been

How do you guys use to hold the speakers on the stands? I use Blu-Tack.

AmericanHIFI likes this.
  12. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Yeah, I discovered that by accident, I didn't have enough lead shot to fill my new speaker stands, I had just replaced a day bed's 4" thick memory foam pad, and as I walked past it in the garages my mind went...hmmm.... I took a broom handle and packed that heave foam in, and it really does wonders.

13. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

I like 4 big slabs of blu tac, one for each side.

14. Paul Chang

I only put them in the 4 corners. I wonder which way sounds better.

15. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

They hold themselves ;)

16. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Were your stands completely full of shot?

I've been using a mix of lead shot and sand filled to the top. The two pair of metal stands do not ring now and the Skylan stands never did, but require mass.

17. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

I've tried various things over the years, extra fine shot, premium dried sand, cat litter, other things alone or in various combinations, but the memory foam has impressed me the most, you need a big enough tube diameter to be able to ram it in with some sort of stick or rod, but boy it does something fairly special. I'm impressed enough that going forward that will be the first thing I try using over all others. But yes, you won't get tremendous mass if that is your goal.

18. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

I'm not sure more or less is a matter of better, but one time I partially knocked over a stand which I had used 4 BIG square slabs of blu tack to hold the speakers on, and although they were fairly large speakers the did not become uncoupled from the stand thanks to the blu tack, no damage, without it it could've been a total loss for the woofer as they are brittle polymer graphite.

19. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Blu-Tak or white poster tack works fine. It usually comes in packages of 4 "bars", which you can divide in half for two speakers.

20. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I've seen some rickety looking cheap stands out there, but for the most part, I think speaker stands follow the same scheme of overpricing that a lot of audiophile accessories do.

Hence why I recommended picking up stands used. If I couldn't find anything used and or inexpensive that met my needs I'd simply make my own stands out of cinder blocks and patio stones.

If OP doesn't live in an isolated area, shouldn't be too hard to find used stands. If lucky, the previous owner probably already went through trouble of filling them up with sand or shot.

neeeb likes this.
  21. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I like your idea of cinder blocks and stone. I have never tried this method but have often thought it seemed like a good cheap solution.

22. Paul Chang

By gravity? Just be careful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.