All Things Mötley Crüe

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Boswell, Oct 21, 2015.

1. jason88cubs

jason88cubs Forum Resident

how's everyone feel about "planet boom" by tommy lee

Boswell likes this.
  2. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

Fine as a one off thing but it's ultimately pulling Tommy in a direction that I have no time for. I can't fault the guy for having a vision and following it but anything that takes away from a great band like Motley Crue will never sit too well with me. It'll be a long time until I listen to it again.

Pouchkine likes this.
  3. Boswell

Boswell Forum Resident Thread Starter

I like Planet Boom & everything else off of Quarternary . . . even Nikki's song!

It makes so much sense for Netflix to grab this and make it. They are essentially a B-studio, making their own ****ty product. Here's a product with pedigree & branding, they can get A LOT of their subscribers to click on this trash & watch it.

It will be horrible, too, but there would be no other way of getting this movie out by this point & Motley/Nikki probably see it as the only logical & last opportunity to see this happen.
    Interesting!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. jason88cubs

5. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Where are the cellphones?? what kind of primitive society is this? :)

Paully and weekendtoy like this.
  6. jason88cubs

This is how it should be

Pouchkine and ModernDayWarrior like this.
  7. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

8. Boswell

One of the best Motley boots! Surprising how well the GIRLS vibe works even during the day . . . they're great here.
    I'm somehow surviving in the 21st century without a cellphone! Not sure how but I'm enjoying it.

Pouchkine likes this.
  9. jason88cubs

So If I ever get married I feel like the song to my wife will be "without you" and when I die my song will be "home sweet home"

10. jason88cubs

funny how vince never slagged motley when he was out of the band

11. Boswell

You know, I wonder if that was because he kinda got that they were right about his interest in music, especially the new music they were creating. Vince would have realised early on that he was the least talented musician in that band, I don't think he's delusional about his actual talent. Perhaps he hoped they were just going through a phase & would soon want him back so best keep his mouth slightly shut.

12. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

I was listening to that Decibal Geek podcast with Corabi and he was saying that when they were doing those interviews that he wished he had more balls and would have pulled Nikki aside and told him that maybe he shouldn't have been slagging off Vince because by doing that he was creating a line in the sand and making fans chose between the singers and also creating a rift with MTV as well. If anyone really needed MTV at that time to help with a promotional push it was the Crue. I guess Corabi didn't wanna rock the boat though because he was the new guy in the band and basically Sixx ran the show. Nikki should have kept his mouth shut about Vince though. He made himself look bad.

It's amazing that Nikki slags that era of the band off now. At the time he was so adamant about how the band was a stronger unit and everything and nowadays he says that the writing process was so disjointed. He's just delusional imo.

One more thing, Mick shouldn't have been cracking jokes about Vince's weight. At one point Mars was a bit overweight himself and he came off a bit hypocritical.

13. Boswell

Nikki isn't slagging off the record that much, he mentioned that he wished he had taken control in certain areas, like lyrics. As much as I like the MC94 album, I don't LOVE IT & I agree that more Nikki & less Corabi might have been nice.

I cant name you a song John did outside of Motley. He's talented but Nikki Sixx is REALLY talented, I know people think that isn't the case but it is.

14. The only thing I want to see Motley Crue release from this point on is unreleased archival titles. I think they've reissued the original albums enough times now. We have more than enough greatest hits type comps. I don't care about a movie based on The Dirt. What do I want? Live concerts from '82-'91 (video and/or audio) and any demos/outtakes/rehearsals/unreleased songs that haven't been released.

15. Pouchkine

Pouchkine Forum Resident

Really talented in the 80's with Vince and Mick and Tommy. We saw what Nikki did since and with his various ****ty solo bands. Basically what happened is that Nikki could never accept that Vince was the face of Mötley. Yes he's not the one that contributed more in the writing process but for the fans No Vince= No Mötley. Also his stance on MC94 is total BS since for years he said it was incredible, and funny enough in the past years both Mick and Tommy once again said they loved the album! I think there was a rift between Nikki and John recently and that's why Nikki acts like an idiot. He's been talking nonsense ever since the big sales stopped, blaming just about everyone but himself and contradicting himself time and time again. The biggest truth spoken about their last 4 albums was when Vince said Generation Swine was crap!

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  16. Boswell

Nikki just wanted to change things up, I dont think they were wrong to get rid of Vince in 1992, they were on different pages.
    Vince was just never much into music, you can tell. He NEVER took the time to learn the lyrics to some of his own band's songs! That's his only job in life! How do you think that feels for a songwriter like Nikki? The guys come back from vacation, say, & all three, Tommy, Nik & Mick talk about stuff they're writing, new progressive bands they're into & Vince just kinda stares & smiles, race cars & the next vacation on his mind.
    Vince on a record like MC94 & people would think it was Motley's best album.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

It was a MAJOR mistake to fire Vince.

They needed to take a year off. They were full-throttle for 10 years straight and the musical landscape was shifting. A bit of time off to recharge and re-evaluate would have been perfect for them.

18. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

But they had just signed a $25 million deal with Elektra. They had a new record due.

19. Boswell

I don't think they ever got used to Vince's lack of talent & always dreamed of a "real" singer, all the while admitting that Vince's voice was part of their DNA & a major part of their sound.
    They dreamed of a guy with a strong voice, stage command, wit, memory & inspiration & they literally got one of the least talented famous musicians of all time. Really complicated stuff to be in a band & feel motivated & inspired when one member is so wanting & not really a part of the music on that level.
    It's amazing how much good music came from this band, it's one of the mysteries of the Motleys :)

driverdrummer and telepicker97 like this.
  20. SizzleVonSizzleton

It isn't Vince's fault Nikki ran out of material after three albums. A couple great songs on albums 4 and 5 and then it really went downhill.

Sure, fire your singer. Every multi platinum band gets to replace their iconic frontman, happens all the time. Van Halen you ain't but nice job tanking your whole career. Maybe in 20 years you can blame the replacement.

Pouchkine likes this.
  21. jason88cubs

22. Boswell

It's Vince's fault that that he didn't take music seriously. He had every opportunity to do so.
    I think Nikki's songwriting may have aged more gracefully if they didn't **** things up but who knows, maybe he only had those few great tunes in him/them.

23. SizzleVonSizzleton

I agree but that's who Vince was and it worked pretty well for ten years. So Nikki and Tommy (no doubt feeding off of each other like two idiots sharing a brain) expected him to do what exactly, suddenly learn to write songs? Help them veer off into harder music that didn't suit him or their band? That's your band, compromise and live with it! There's only one classic lineup of a legendary band.

Pouchkine likes this.
  24. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

Yep. That was their kiss of death. Ironically.

They needed a break. Not a break up. Elektra should have stipulated that the band had to remain intact or void the deal.

Use Your Delusions!

Pouchkine likes this.
  25. SizzleVonSizzleton

I push back against them needing a break. Or maybe put another way, they were already on the verge of getting more time off. First of all if you use the Chronological Crue website as a source for tour dates the last show of the Girls tour was December 18 1987. They didn't play live again until the Moscow festival dates on August 13 and 14 of 1989. So they were already off of the 'finish a tour, make an album in six months, start to tour again' cycle.

No question the Dr. Feelgood tour was really long but if they'd just put out one more album and done the tour they would almost surely have gotten a break of several years. Things were going to downturn somewhat no matter what they did as they were an 80's band working in a new decade. But whether they maintained their heights (unlikely) or dropped off significantly they weren't going to be putting out albums every other year in the 1990's and the tours would surely have gotten shorter due to less demand.

So I maintain that the breaks were coming but they turned on each other just a year or two too early and messed it all up.

Pouchkine likes this.