Quadral Chromium Style 8 Loudspeakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by James Glennon, Mar 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member Thread Starter

2. James Glennon

Bump! I was thinking of switching from B&W CM7's to B&W CM8's which the dealer stocks, but he said I just had to hear these Quadrals!

JG

3. heyMo

heyMo Forum Resident

Big fan of B&W and don't think you could go wrong. However, I am not familiar with the Quadrals. If you are able to have a listen, I would be curious of your thoughts as a comparison. Does the dealer have some for demo?

4. geoffr

geoffr Lifeguard in a carwash

nice avatar

5. James Glennon

He sells B&W and Quadral, he has always stocked B&W but is highly impressed with the Quadrals. The B&Ws are made in China, the Quadrals are made in Germany, I'm saying that, he didn't.

What I like my B&WCM7's is they 'sonically' suit my small room. The Quadral ribbon tweeters. Here is the conclusion in the review...

CONCLUSION

The Quadral Chromium 8s are a handsome-looking floorstander with a quality of performance that belies their £1750 asking price. They are unerringly musical with a natural, balanced sound that allies detail to a punchy bass and rich treble. I’ve heard loudspeakers costing twice as much which don’t have the all-round quality of the Quadrals - which makes them something of a bargain!

VERDICT
    A refined sound from a sophicticated product. Superb.

FOR

- natural, balanced sound
    - deep, clean bass
    - extended treble

AGAINST
    - nothing at the price

I am trying to get as much feedback as I can before I decide to audition them. On this evidence not many people have heard of Quadral.
    JG

6. I heard some Quadral Speakers a few years ago when I was looking for my current set. I believe they were Chromium 5's and another pair of floorstanders with a ring tweeter from different Quadral line. I was very impressed and seriously considered buying them. I ended up going with something I liked more ( but cost more too) but have often thought about the Quadrals. Frankly, the biggest strike against them was they are very rare here and I was concerned about service/ warranty issues. The dealer no longer carries them so I guess I was right to be doubtful.
    Worth a listen to in my opinion.
    Good luck!

7. James Glennon

Thanks for the input! I will definitely have a listen to the B&W CM8 and the Quadral Chromium Style 8 and I should ascertain pretty quickly if the Quadrals will work in my room. The last time I bought speakers the dealer let me try them at home, all three were B&W's but the B&W CM7's worked a treat in my small room. So it was a no brainer.

I was a bit peeved to learn that a lot of the B&W speakers were made in China except for a couple of models (the more expensive ones I expect). The Quadrals are made in Germany so finish should be excellent.

JG

8. The finish was very good on the Quadrals. I wasnt the biggest fan of the B&W CM speakers I'd heard at the time but everyone has different ears and expectations. I do own and use 685's and 686's as well as two different B&W subs so please don't interpret that as being against B&W! I can't remember if it was an 8 or 10 but I believe they've changed the model since then anyway.
    I'd be very interested to hear how you make out with your auditions so please post your results.
    Cheers!

9. James Glennon

I got to hear the Quadral Chromium Style 8 loudspeakers at the hifi shop for about an hour and was really impressed with them. They are beautifully made and have a practically identical footprint to my B&W CM7s in height, width and depth. I've been offered a home trial so looking forward to that.

JG

Shoalcove likes this.
  10. Folsom

Folsom Forum Resident

Look ok, not too interesting. Maybe also look at Tekton's model that's been getting some attention lately?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.