When You Tire Of Rock Where Do You Set The Dial?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by vinyl diehard, Mar 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gururyan

gururyan Forum Resident

I'll float from "rock 'n' roll" to blues and then over to gritty garage rock then modern psychedelic rock. But when I tire of "guitar" rock/blues music, I'll head straight over to "techno" that has too many genres to attempt to disambiguate. That will eventually lead me back into my 80's/90's 12" collection, where I will eventually tire of electrical music and revisit folk...which will lead back to where we started this journey.

...sprinkle early rap up to 90's rap throughout this journey as needed.

2. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

The Sirius/XM hockey or baseball channel.

3. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Muzak. (Instrumental easy stuff)

4. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

rap/hiphop
    soul
    funk
    folk

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
    Grant likes this.
  5. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

[​IMG]

6. SixtiesGuy

SixtiesGuy Ministry of Love

Well, now that you mentioned it...

I don't listen to commercial radio stations any more. The same 300 songs, with twenty minutes of ads out of every hour. No thanks. There are excellent non-commercial radio stations out there broadcasting a great variety of music, etc. And there are hundreds of other sources including streaming services, SiriusXM and free Internet stations, why would I waste my time on the garbage that passes for commercial rasio?

7. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

I typically go to different permeations of rock, such as jazz rock, art rock, prog rock, metal, etc. I have a hard time with legitimate jazz and classical for some reason so I opt for crossovers. I also listen to R&B/Soul/Funk sometimes, but not usually because I'm tired of rock.

8. Mark B.

Mark B. Forum Resident

I wish WCNC had a greater broadcasting range. I have a pre-set for them, but usually can't get them very well. Probably the best station in the area, along with "The Eagle" out of Gaston Co. (I think), who leans a little too much toward the "roots" area for my taste.

9. BryanA-HTX

BryanA-HTX Crazy Doctor

Rock is such a vast category with many different styles and subgenres that I'd just never see myself getting bored of it.

jamesmaya and SurrealCereal like this.
  10. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Can you not even get them on their Charlotte frequency, 101.3?

11. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I make my rounds pretty evenly. Since I grew up in R&B, I go to pop/rock when I get tired of it. But, when I get tired of all the old stuff, I dive into the pop/dance, and Rap of the last fifteen years.

gururyan likes this.
  12. Charles Buxton

Charles Buxton Forum Resident

Used to be Jazz, now in the Age of the Internet, it's
    1.) Ambient,
    2.) Jazz,
    3.) Blues,
    4.) Country, if I can find it.

13. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

My iPhone. What is this "dial" you speak of? :laugh:

14. The Sound of Silence. Literally.

medium Rob likes this.
  15. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

When driving, I listen to mostly rock and pop on my iPhone. When I get tired of that, the only two radio stations I listen to are jazz and classical, both public.

16. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Does sports talk radio count?

17. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Why wouldn't it? That's what I voted for.

GodShifter likes this.
  18. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

:righton:

I listen to that in the car all the time. Love it.

19. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 Music Addiction Personified

...definitely jazz. Also, anything out of Jamaica from the 60's to 80's (calypso, roots, reggae, ska, dancehall etc.) ... some classic hip hop preferably late 80's early 90's. FUNK, funky soul. I'm all over the globe as well... love discovering music from other countries.
    Thanks for asking :D:thumbsup:

20. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I don't think people who love rock ever get tired of rock. What they get tired of, is posers using rock to build their "personality brand", bands who are afraid to step out of their niche to show their hardcore fans something fresh, and the radio industry that still has Rush, Ozzie and U2 on repeat-shuffle because they're afraid they'll lose their target demographic if they skew too far Badfinger or Metallica. The right answer is always, "There is plenty of good stuff you've never heard, because the industry puts too many roadblocks in your way. Don't be afraid to try bands or songs you've never heard of. Don't be afraid of being disappointed while you search for that needle in your haystack. And, contrary to the thread title: if 'the dial' is what made you tire out of your favorite music in the first place, then maybe you need to set it to, 'AUX'".

I'm at a place in my music discovery where I may never need to have rock in my life again. I don't miss it; most of it was peer pressure to me anyway. Most of my radio career, I kept myself sane by looking around the corners, and sampling outside the playlists and the charts. Know what I found? There is plenty of good stuff you've never heard, because the industry puts too many roadblocks in your way. Don't be afraid to try bands or songs you've never heard of. Don't be afraid of being disappointed while you search for that needle in your haystack. And, contrary to the thread title: if "the dial" is what made you tire out of your favorite music in the first place, then maybe you need to set it to, "AUX". ;)

21. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

As I frequently go back and forth between Blues and Rock and alt.country, I don't tire of any of it.

22. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

College radio if you are lucky enough to live close t0 one plus being close to big city I have options for a lot no commercial radio for me when in a car unless it's a dj I like or a game

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  23. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

Sports....Mike & Mike, Bomani Jones. Not Rome and definitely not Stephen Smith.

24. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I don't listen to the radio much, but in terms of other kind of music that I reach for, it's usually jazz, ambient, or sometimes "world" music, including Brazilian.

25. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I don't tire of Rock or Metal, but will sometimes throw on Classical music, just because it's that good! :righton:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.