Best Sounding Who's Next CD ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mhw58, Jan 21, 2008.

1. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Technical explanation of what likely happened on page 25:

Best Sounding Who's Next CD ? »

tmtomh likes this.
  2. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Ah, yes, that's what I remember (though I was remembering it vaguely). Thanks for the link/reminder!

lukpac likes this.
  3. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

What do you guys think of the Platinum SHM CD or the SHM SACD?

4. Whofan70

Whofan70 Active Member

Hi everyone, I'm new here and love reading the content. I have read this thread and still cannot determine if whether or not my copy of Who's Next is a SH version. Could someone verify? I would greatly appreciate it. I apologize for the size of the photos...

Thanks
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

That's the SH version.

Out of curiosity, what is the matrix?

6. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

The Canadian version might be out of print as Amazon Canada hasn't had it in stock for a month or so now. There are quite a few new copies available from third party sellers there, though.

7. Whofan70

Whofan70 Active Member

Looks to be 1A4 6X

Thoughts?

8. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

As expected.

btomarra likes this.
  9. Whofan70

Whofan70 Active Member

I've only listened to it thus far in my vehicle which does have a very nice sound system and I have to say it's the best sounding Who's Next that I have ever heard.

What stood out was Keith's drum solo at the end of WGFA. Never heard the drums so crisp and clean.

Can't wait to listen to it in my home theatre set up.

10. Whofan70

Whofan70 Active Member

Lukpac, I have put the disc into two players and the time reads 43:20 on both.

11. Moonchild

Moonchild Forum Resident

30-page long thread for this question? The Hoffman-mastered MCA, of course

12. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

cageyc likes this.
  13. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

I played the SH version today on the iPhone...sounds really nice.

14. Downsampled

Downsampled Senior Member

That Denon pressing is okay (IMO), but as I said earlier, there is something special about that Canadian version.

MartinR and ricks like this.
  15. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

I think of the drums across this whole CD, as "buttery smooth". :D

16. Mark J

Mark J Senior Member

I bought this new in 1990 (had, and still have, a mid 1980s LP pressing of this album but I was 'upgrading' my LPs, most LPs went straight to the Salvation Army except for a few like this). I possibly had the SH but I gave it to a friend when the 1995 remaster came out. This forum inspired me to seek out the SH original mastering. Went through the Amazon minefield - ordered one used for $2, received a nice clean copy of something that looked like a SH, same catalog number, made in Japan for US, but the time was 43:15. Ordered another one new for $3.50, received a copy made for MCA Records Canada - this one is 43:25 so it must be SH. Don't have the best stereo setup but I listened to both in the car and my old component system and the two don't sound very different from each other to me, both nice and smooth like my old LP copy. Very enjoyable, now I have one for the car and one for home. The 1995 really falls flat compared to either, keeping it for the bonus tracks. This used to be one of my favorite albums but I haven't listened to it in a long time ('95 version was not pleasant listening), the SH mastering puts it back on my listening pile.

17. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Yeah the only reason I held on to the '95 was the bonus tracks. I don't mind the overall sound quality - its not terrible (though the Hoffman is clearly superior) I just don't care for the remixed tracks.

Mark J likes this.
  18. Mark J

Mark J Senior Member

Yes, I don't like the remixing at all. I don't understand why they did that.

Jimmy B. likes this.
  19. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

I have a few different cd versions. I will have to see if I still have a SH mastered one and compare them.

Pat

20. nikosvault

nikosvault Forum Resident

I have the Canadian disc, but it sure sounds like the CRC/Columbia Record Club is the one to get. Are the peaks completely intact?

21. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

No. It is simply lowered in level from #1.

22. George P

George P Notable Member

This is the one that I have. It is one of the first things I bought after joining the forum.

23. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

I have three copies of this. Pulled them out and dropped them into my Sony UHP-H1.

* The first one says “Manufactured in U.S.A. for MCA”. Pretty sure that’s not the Hoffman. Sony UHP-H1 displays 43:15. Nope.

* Second one says “Manufactured in Japan for MCA”. That’s promising, but no outer ring. Sony UHP-H1 displays 43:15. Rats.

* Last try. This one says “Mfd for BMG, MCAD-37217, 170350D”. I’m feeling lucky, but Sony UHP-H1 displays 43:20? Uh oh. What’s that? Slipped in into my PC, Roxie software displays 43:23. Yes!

One more thing, the matrix for the last one is: MCAD37217 06/90 1DA6X

24. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

I own a Holland Polydor CD with a playing time of 43:27...any idea if this could also be the Steve Hoffman mastering ??? As far as I know, the other Polydor CD version is slightly shorter...
    I neever had any other version to compare, but my CD sounds really nice :)

25. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Do Baba and Behind Blue Eyes fade up? What is the catalog number and matrix information?