PJ Harvey sells tickets to watch recording of new album, The Hope Six Demolition Project (04/2016)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George Blair, Jan 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Watched the show some time ago. It does make more sense than just listening to the album. I always thought around 50% of it is great but I really prefer the more guitar orientated output especially the Is this Desire/Stories/Uh Huh Her period.

Maseman66 and dee like this.
  2. soundfanz

soundfanz Forum Resident

A long time fan, but saw her for the first time last week when she played 2 nights here in Brisbane.
    Mesmerizing, the Hope Six songs came to life in a live setting with that great touring band. Particularly liked the horn section, and that voice of hers. PJ's a keeper. :)

Tropehjelm likes this.
  3. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident

April 13 – Toronto, ON – Massey Hall
    April 15 – Montreal, QC – Metropolis
    April 17 – Boston, MA – House Of Blues
    April 20 – Brooklyn, NY – Brooklyn Steel
    April 21 – Philadelphia, PA – Fillmore
    April 22 – Richmond, VA – The National
    April 24 – Detroit, MI – Royal Oak
    April 27 – Dallas, TX – Bomb Factory
    April 28 – Austin, TX – Stubb’s
    April 29 – Houston, TX – Revention
    May 2 – Denver, CO – Fillmore
    May 5 – Seattle, WA – WAMU
    May 7 – Portland, OR – Crystal Ballroom
    May 9 – San Francisco, CA – The Masonic
    May 12 – Los Angeles, CA – The Greek Theatre

PJ Harvey 2016 tour above are 2017 dates.

Simon A and dee like this.
  4. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Also

July 19 - New York City - Central Park Summerstage

BeardedSteven and dee like this.
  5. Marc Bessette

Marc Bessette The King of Somewhere Cold

I've never heard of her but that's like having a carpenter charge me for watching him building a house that I have no intention of buying

6. Davey

Davey NP: Kraftwerk ~ Trans-Europe Express (1977)

That just seems odd, I view her as such a rock icon, but maybe not.

Marc Bessette likes this.
  7. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

And the Forecastle Festival in Louisville, KY sometime within July 14-16 (their website sucks and I can't tell what day she's on).

ukrules, BeardedSteven and dee like this.
  8. Fletch

Fletch Senior Member

Got tix for Brooklyn and Central Park, can't wait!

9. dee

dee Senior Member

Thanks. Not sure if she has EVER played Miami or the large South Florida tri-county area? Maybe once in 1990 something? Guess I have always missed her. She was scheduled to open for U2 on one of their tours and they were playing multiple shows in the state. She was ill and had to cancel the Flordia dates. She has had her share of fans here - ex-alt, ex-goth, ex-vintage, current whatever...

BeardedSteven likes this.
  10. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Me too

11. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident

Yeah they haven't released the daily schedule or daily tickets yet, but it should be soon. I'll definitely be there.

I think I've mentioned before but she's almost certain to headline the Pitchfork fest as well. Same weekend as Forecastle and usually a few artists do both. Also no standalone Chicago date. Not sure when they announce their lineup tho.

12. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

She has recently received her own UNCUT Special (that's a whole magazine dedicated to her) so she seems to be not totally unimportant :whistle:

Tropehjelm and Davey like this.
  13. Davey

Davey NP: Kraftwerk ~ Trans-Europe Express (1977)

I just realized this is the 25 year anniversary of Dry. Wow, that does put her in perspective, what a debut, and what an amazing career (so far). I remember at one point seeing her on some TV music show as a guest for the whole show, one of those things they used to do a lot more of, and she was talking about who she would really like to work with, maybe early 2000s, and mentioned Brian Eno, I wonder if that could still happen, that would be something different.

Neonbeam likes this.
  14. Marc Bessette

Marc Bessette The King of Somewhere Cold

I haven't heard of Uncut either...oh well, must be a generation thing....

15. saturdayboy

saturdayboy Forum Resident

Uncut is a great music mag, some of the best writing out there

Marc Bessette likes this.
  16. marcfeld69

marcfeld69 Forum Resident

I haven't been through all the posts but my EU copy with poster and download card sounds wonderful. The second side had a few scuffs but otherwise perfect. More than this, the soundstage is great. It sounds almost mono, strangely. There is so much in the middle channels (of that makes sense).

And it's a terrific album, to boot. I've only ever not liked one of her albums very much, White Chalk, but I can see that was the development of a new sound. Will have to re-assess now.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
    Easy-E likes this.
  17. marcfeld69

I hope it grows on you for reasons stated above. White Chalk was totally stripped down and I certainly like that much.

18. marcfeld69

This is the EU version I have.

19. marcfeld69

I want to 'like' this very considered assessment but I can't - because I like both the last two albums equally. :)

20. gohill

gohill Senior Member

Well I now love The Hope Six Demolition Project so I came around to your thinking. Seeing her on TV playing it at Glastonbury and then live in Glasgow in November was amazing. Love it now.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  21. marcfeld69

Glad to hear that!

22. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

I loved it live, but the album left me a bit underwhelmed. Admittedly I'm not a massive fan, but it's a shame that such an incendiary live performer seems a bit restrained on record.

23. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

I find that PJ's albums require repeated study before they sink in for me. I am enjoying this one now as much as Bring, Desire, England. Sonic Youth has been that way for me, as well.

24. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

Polly Jean kicks off this next phase of her current tour in Toronto tonight!

Tickets are completely sold out and I think it's gonna be tough getting in there tonight.

The show's at Massey Hall, one of our nicest venues and P J hasn't been in Toronto since about 2004 when she toured behind her album "Uh Huh Her"; that was about 3 albums ago so demand I guess is high...

Wish me luck...; I really would like to see her tonight!:love:

Tropehjelm likes this.
  25. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

Let us know how it goes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.