Hi all, newbie here! just picked up my first set of McIntosh gear...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by McGuy, Jan 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. McGuy

McGuy All Mc, all the time... Thread Starter

decided on the MC2105 and C28 setup. I currently have an Arcam A19, which I love but wanted a different sound and knew I wanted vintage gear. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Haven't gotten the gear yet, bought them off the Bay. They "look" stunning from the pictures and have been serviced. Debating on the walnut cabinets now and the LED update. Actually bought the LEDs for both units, waiting on their arrival as well and ordered the service manuals to complete the set. Very excited for that warm Mac sound...

Kyhl likes this.
  2. McGuy

and I mainly listen to vinyl but have a DAC and a Sonos setup, have to figure out how to set this up with the C28, I assume it's possible. I rarely listen to digital music at home. And I have B&W CM6s2 speakers which I love!

3. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Welcome to the world on Mc!!!!!
    And to this forum......the besteses-es on the web for music related stuff!!!
    Great bunch of folks here.
    Fill out your profile once everything is in place.

Dr. Winston Ramone and McGuy like this.
  4. McGuy

will do, and thanks!

5. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

Welcome aboard McG!

McGuy likes this.
  6. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Nothing like getting right to it. Welcome!

7. McGuy

Hopefully I bought "the right stuff"!

8. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Welcome and congrats on your new gear:)

9. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

A Sonos Connect will join your new equipment to your Sonos network. It provides both analog and digital output (for your DAC).

Good luck with it!

McGuy likes this.
  10. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

Hi there! I'm about 35 miles west of Chicago in Geneva. I also have the same Mac gear as you with the MR 74 tuner (for my once a week radio program lol). I enjoy them a lot and I'm sure you will too.

McGuy likes this.
  11. sunrayjack

sunrayjack Forum Resident

I have this same setup bought off of the same place, all in all I am a little disappointed in the sound, I am probably the only one in the audio world that might say that or put in in writing.
    They had been serviced and seem to be in good working order, I have four other Macintosh pieces all bought at the same time from different sources all solid state.
    I find the old Fisher tube stuff is a much better purchase for a lot less money, I even like my vintage Kenwood model 11's over the mac gear.
    I hope you like yours, I just don't get the nice warm sound from it I am accustom too from the Kenwoods and Fishers.
    I have bought a lot of vintage gear that did not live up to the hype and my expectations, it goes with the passion of chasing vintage gear.
    I still have mine and use it on some of my systems I don't really listen to a whole lot, it's in the "will possibly sell or trade category".
    You will have gear you swear will go to the grave with you and then some that is good but has no real spot in your heart, have fun and welcome, their are lot's of great people on here with a lot of knowledge of audio.

SandAndGlass and McGuy like this.
  12. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

A real classic set. Welcome to the forum!

[​IMG]

nm_west, Kyhl, McLover and 1 other person like this.
  13. McGuy

Thanks again. I'm hoping I get the sound I'm hoping to hear!

sunrayjack likes this.
  14. McGuy

I do have a question, I assume I need better interconnect RCA cables than the ones I get at best buy, and I'm sure you all have some suggestions, probably numerous - I'm open! And since my TT is new, it obviously has a 3 prong power cord. And the C28 has two prongs...so...begs the obvious question, it is ok to get the 2-3 prong adapter thingy for the c28 or should I just plug in the TT straight to the power conditioner? My guess is it doesn't matter but what do I know?

15. pathguy

pathguy Forum Resident

Welcome--we'll be interested to hear your thoughts on the McIntosh gear--congratulations!

Lots of awesome folks here that will steer you in the right direction :righton:

McGuy likes this.
  16. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

I would say plug the TT to the power conditioner. These doubts are however easy to solve: try both ways and see what happens, you could have less hum and noise in one configuration, but it is very hard to guess which one now.

17. McGuy

good point! just have to figure out cables from the preamp to amp now. I'm suspect that more expensive cables will make THAT much of a difference to me personally but I'd rather get better cables than not. just don't know know which ones, suggestions?

18. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Congratulations on your first McIntosh system. I run your power amp's smaller brother, the MC 2505, and own a MX 114 tuner-preamplifier, and also own a MA 5100 integrated amplifier. Enjoy.

Bill Why Man and McGuy like this.
  19. JBryan

JBryan Forum Resident

Check out Grover Huffman's cables - very good reviews and they are quite reasonably priced. Even better, search the used classifieds on various audio forums. Grover's cables occasionally show up @$100-150/meter so you can give them a listen in your system and either sell them for little or no loss if they don't work out or (and this is one of the reasons Grover has such a good following) you can upgrade them to Grover's latest version and get a good trade-in allowance on your cables.

I've bought a lot of cables and aside from some quite expensive wires in critical areas, I find Grover's offerings to be very satisfying and have upgraded them several times (so far). In my system, they've outperformed a lot of highly regarded and well-reviewed wires that cost quite a bit more. Not particular to your situation but I have a lot of vintage gear, including a handful of older McIntosh pieces and one of the main reasons I looked to Grover's cables was that his IC's actually fit whereas many of the newer IC's being offered are too thick.

McGuy likes this.
  20. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

Welcome to the show! Enjoy and above all, Happy Listening!

McGuy likes this.
  21. gss

gss Forum Resident

Congrats! Enjoy your new pieces!

McGuy likes this.
  22. McGuy

So...received my C28 and MC2105 today, glass was cracked on the 2105 in shipping, sucks but seller is already taking care of that. hooked it up to the pro-ject Xpression and...all I can say is... holy shiznit batman! beats the living crrrrrap outta my Arcam A19. The sound is simply amazing, and this is with me not monkeying with all the settings. I will say, the 2105 is frickin heavy, think a chiropractor is my next stop. Cabinets for both should be here soon. Thanks for all the advice. Even figured out how to hook up the bi-wiring. Haven't tried the Sonos/DAC connection yet. Running this with B&W CM6s speakers. love it!!!!!!!!!!! I'm now a Mac snob.

McLover, Jimi Floyd, dezyrme and 2 others like this.
  23. dezyrme

dezyrme New Member

Hey McGuy, just setup my MC2105 with my SONOS system and if you need any help, let me know. I've been running SONOS for almost 10 years now and have had all kinds of experiences so I can offer help to you or anyone who may need it.

I could use some help with the bi-wiring on this particular amp if you don't mind assisting. Are you wiring up two 16 ohm loads in parallel with the jumpers off of the the B&W's to make each channel of the amp see the 8 ohm load? Sorry to hi-jack your thread but I am brand new and didn't see an option to PM you on your member card otherwise I would have.

24. McGuy

Thanks Dez, it's all hooked up, simple actually. sounds great! As for bi-wiring, don't ask me! I just plugged in my biwired speakers to the back of the amp. I think you HAVE to take out the jumpers in the back of the speakers or something really really bad will happen!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.