Eagles, Fleetwood Mac Headlining New NYC, Los Angeles Festival thread*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by gellie, Mar 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Stones/Paul apparently got $14 mil per act for the Desert Trip performances. Golden voice promoter publicly said all said all 6 acts got the biggest gig pay days of their careers, and some of the 2012 Stones gigs were over $6 mil. Golden voice made money when you saw the insane box scores for the weekend.

$7mil per weekend was also the rumoured GNR number paid by Goldenvoice for pair of Coachella performances in 2016.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  2. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

Don Felder is scheduled to be opening Styx & REO Speedwagon in Texas on July 29th the same night as Eagles at Classic East.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Yeah, Leadon should be involved for the sake of authenticity. I would doubt that Felder would be involved. On the other hand, money talks and , to be blunt, Frey ain't around anymore to veto Felder being asked. Meisner is in bad shape last I heard so he is doubtful....
    And Henley is the only original member. Walsh came on board for the last two albums and Schmidt just made it before they "broke up."

4. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Wow - Felder is a bit of a shock. Still leaves me wondering who will play keys and sing Glenn's parts.

5. augustwest

augustwest Forum Resident

How about Chris Hillman, he'd make a good stand-in.

melstapler likes this.
  6. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Interesting. I'm sure it was their biggest payday. I'm not an entertainment lawyer, but I did work on a couple of performance contracts, including a Stones tour. I've never worked on a Festival, though, so perhaps the economics are quite different from a regular show, with all the VIP packages, hotel/bus deals and so forth, and I don't even know what capacity would be.

I do wonder if Goldenvoice made any money on Oldchella. I attended the Dylan/Stones day and enjoyed it, but it was really tiring. I'm not sure I'd go again. I guess we'll find out later this year - if they announce one for this year, they probably did alright.

7. PyroMessiah

PyroMessiah Forum Resident

Totally man. I work with guys like this. Every week it's another 40 hour cash grab. Me though, I do it for the right reasons.

JoeF. and mikee like this.
  8. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I suspect if Don Henley called Felder and said, "hey do you want to come play with the Eagles at two major rock festivals," that Felder would not reply, "no, I have to go support Styx in Texas."

9. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

Their announced gross was $160 million, which they said was the most they've made on any one event. I half-remembered some discussion of actual profit after show happened, but can't find it now so might be misremembering.

I'd say there is a VERY small chance of them doing it again this year, what with Mac and Eagles taken by Azoff and them using Petty for another summer fest in Pasadena. Unless they've got a Zep reunion and Springsteen, Elton and Billy or somesuch....

10. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

Hell Freezes Over is when that call actually happens.

Of course, I could be wrong considering all the other major music news Britain's International Business Times has been first to report.

11. Brian Doherty

I have learned to not be surprised by the easing of ANY seemingly unmendable feud in professional rockers. Time and money can conquer all.

12. Squealy

Oh, I know what you meant -- the existence of that booking makes an unlikely story unlikelier. I'm skeptical too.

But if they really wanted him to I think he would probably make that conflict disappear PDQ.

13. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I remember being involved with issuing some agency contracts for some headlining artists at Coachella 14 years ago, and the guarantees were starting to get quite large at the time for a single festival gig. The contracts at the time were very basic, unlike a traditional contract for a normal tour show. Clearly the touring business has continued to evolve, with festivals becoming bigger business with the headlining deals more lucrative, but I suspect that contracts for festival gigs are still pretty straightforward. Hard to imagine the artists are sharing in the profits. The VIP packages, etc. likely help pay for the exceedingly high guarantees. Even with the huge guarantees paid out, I would imagine Goldenvoice/AEG still made money on Oldchella through its VIP packages, hotel deals, merchandising, etc. By many accounts, tickets and packages sold well.

It is interesting that Azoff has essentially taken a few obvious "Oldchella 2" contenders off the table by creating his own concert event with his own star clients. Most people though Fleetwood Mac would be an obvious choice for a subsequent Oldchella, with The Eagles another obvious candidate (assuming Henley wanted to continue the brand).

14. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Well, $160 million for six days is nearly incomprehensible to me. That's double what U2 grossed in the US for their 36-show I&E tour in 2015. I'm not sure I trust those promoters!

Assuming they are telling the truth, then average ticket prices must have been very high. Scalpers probably took a bath, though, as secondary market sales slowed to a crawl as the show dates approached. I know this because I had no plans to attend but then couldn't resist when "Golden Circle" wristbands for three days dropped below $400 on StubHub. Unfortunately, I had a meeting the morning after the Stones show, and couldn't face the prospect of making that 3 hour drive again, so I squeezed my hand through my wristband and gave it to a young kid in the general admission section on my way out. He seemed really happy.

15. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Whoa just saw the announcement. The full lineup is amazing - Steely Dan, Journey, the Doobies and EWF.

And no 3-hour drive to the venue? I'm definitely interested.

16. Squealy

I think it's entirely possible/probable the Eagles shows are meant as a farewell/tribute to Glenn and to the band, rather than an attempt to continue the Eagles without him.

BluesOvertookMe and Matthew Tate like this.
  17. The device is yet to be invented that will measure the number of RPM that Glenn Frey is spinning in his grave right now.

Comet01 and zebop like this.
  18. No more cloudy brays.

19. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I'm not familiar with the Eagles history. Was it Frey that had issues with Leadon?

20. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Meisner apparently is out of commission and Felder is permanently estranged from the band. I agree that it is conceivable that Leadon will again return to the line-up.

21. Brian Doherty

While of course Goldenvoice may be lying, if you google "Desert Trip" and "$160 million" you'll see that is the "accepted announced fact" on the matter.....you are definitely right that promoters were profiting off scalpers mistake, something i'm finding more and more of lately, it seems the vast majority of big shows I care about sell out in 5 minutes, with 60 percent of them going resellers, and I manage to get below face in the five days prior to show. (Got assigned bleacher seats for Desert Trip at exactly half face....and had I been nervy enough to wait a couple of MORE days could have saved another $80.....paid all in equivalent of $40 per band, that seemed right....and FREE PARKING, a nice Goldenvoice treat...)

22. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

that's my thought as well

23. For the Record

For the Record Forum Resident

If Lynyrd Skynyrd has taught us anything, it's that you only need ONE original thread to carry on a band. Whether it's a band member, roadie or even just a shirt one of the original members wore.

JoeF. likes this.
  24. mikee

mikee Forum Resident

Give me a break - you (and I) both have done worse for a buck. "The Money" is important to us all, plus in their case there's the challenge and achievement of getting their chops back to a high level and excitement performing again at the big show level. Why would any artist who still enjoys performing want to resist that opportunity?

SJP and Todd W. like this.
  25. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

How about just the fact they would like to play again. I know Henley can do some of this stuff solo. It always is the age old question, and I'm not trying to attack your post. It can't be about the money for these bands. How many legacy bands have continued on without members? Most of them. Just like all the bands here. Mac has gone on without Lindsay and Christine, The Doobies have gone on before or with McDonald, Journey without Perry, EWF without Maurice White, Steely Dan has never kept their original studio band They can go out and play what they want when they want. The market will determine and this one seems fine. Can the Eagles do a tour without Glenn, yes. If they stack the band with the right people.

Again, not trying to be smart, but all these bands have gone on.

mikee, PacificOceanBlue and SJP like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.