Reasons Ace Frehley Should Rejoin KISS

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stickyfoods, Mar 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

If yes, they should also bring back the Cat... (Peter Chris). He could sing Hard Luck Woman..... I actually found he sounded like Paul on that song.

But please, NO MORE ALBUMS!!!!!!!!

2. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

From what I've read, of all the original members, Ace was always the least interested in money. That's not to say he's indifferent to it, or doesn't like a big payday. But being in that band with its defined power structure put him in some dark places in the past and (indirectly) nearly cost him his life.

I think he'll flirt with Gene and Paul but - ultimately - he knows what he'll be walking back to. And does he really need money that much?

3. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Peter is about to retire. I seriously doubt if he'll ever be in Kiss again.

4. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

A podgy Spacemean is not a good idea; but a podgy Demon (which is what we have currently) is even worse.

5. gudnoyez

gudnoyez Forum Resident

Ace should leave them be, his last three solo albums were far better than the last few Kiss ones. If its for the sake of a quick cash grab to get whatever he can from the two tightwads, then why not.

6. PyroMessiah

PyroMessiah Forum Resident

Whenever I watch any video of the '96 reunion (and the following few years) I find myself unable to enjoy it nearly as much because I'm anticipating Ace's screw-ups. I think there are people who put on rose colored glasses and give him a pass no matter his shortcomings, whether professional or personal. There's no shortage of recent Ace footage on you tube and I'm not seeing a rock icon who lives up to his legacy. I see a guy who makes far more mistakes than anyone other professional guitarist I've ever witnessed. I don't think the dude cares at all, which is fine, he doesn't owe me anything, but I think the guy people want back in KISS doesn't really exist anymore. Maybe that can be said for Paul as well, but at least I've never doubted that Paul is giving us his best. I also have a lot of respect for Tommy Thayer and I absolutely believe he has earned his position in the band. The amount of abuse that guy has taken I wouldn't wish on anyone. To see him lose his gig for a guy that never appreciated it in the first place would be awful.

7. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

For my money sloppy playing Ace is kinda what made him who he is. That wouldn't work in KISS now and hasn't in 'round about 40 years.

So yeah, why does anyone want Ace back in KISS in 2017? Paul and Gene want a tight player they can rely on every night and that guy isn't Ace Frehley. And Ace isn't going to sell enough extra tickets to cover how much more he'd get paid over what they pay Tommy.

Dark Horse 77 likes this.
  8. npgchris

npgchris Forum Resident

I agree with what you've written, but Ace has dropped several hints (no longer even subtle) that he'd like to be back in the band.

Ace's significant other (I can't remember if they're married or she's his girlfriend) launched a vigorous (and actually slightly embarrassing) Twitter campaign a few years ago lobbying for Ace's return to KISS. Even though it wasn't Ace doing it, the length of time involved tells me there's no way it wasn't done without his approval. If it hadn't represented his wishes, he'd have put a stop to it, or issued some statement disowning her words.

Since then, he's done a handful of interviews which have broached the subject. In the latest one I'm aware of, he actually pegged the odds of him returning to KISS as "50/50". It's been speculated that Gene's recent get-together with Ace was to discuss a possible return, or at least a chance for Gene to tell him face-to-face that it wasn't going to happen.

As for your last sentence: if you know you're nearing the end of your performing career, at least on a regular basis, wouldn't you want to maximize revenues for your efforts? I don't think Ace is in as solid of financial shape as you probably think he is.

Todd W. likes this.
  9. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

If Gene wants to play his card game now he’s gonna play without an ACE in his deck!

:pineapple:

BadJack and SizzleVonSizzleton like this.
  10. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

If Ace came back for a farewell tour, I would buy a ticket. Ace is the only member of Kiss that I have seen live. I would not see them live without him. Sorry!

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  11. npgchris

npgchris Forum Resident

That was another point that I meant to discuss. If Ace does come back, it means someone has crunched numbers that tell them KISS with Ace is going to bring in X amount of dollars to make it financially feasible. And honestly, it's hard to imagine that being the case. But maybe I'm wrong about that.

The band doing a farewell show (or two or three), with Ace, (hopefully) Peter, and Bruce, now that would be a special event and could pull in some serious $$.

SizzleVonSizzleton likes this.
  12. SizzleVonSizzleton

Bruce would bring in exactly zero of those dollars. Anybody that excited to see him is already a buyer, he isn't bringing someone off the fence.

And the obvious problem with Peter is people want to see him play and yet they'd soon find out that they won't want to hear him play. And really, 'Peter is going to be there to sing Beth' isn't getting $300 out of my wallet.

I don't really think there's that much of a market for KISS beyond what they're doing now. Why would Gene and Paul aggravate themselves AND put an inferior product on the stage for an extra couple of dollars?

S. P. Honeybunch likes this.
  13. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

Guns and Roses, Motley Crue, Van Halen etc........just sayin'

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  14. npgchris

npgchris Forum Resident

All of this is correct. I'm just talking about an event, not a tour.

A Farewell Show, with lots of hoopla, and special guests, becomes an event and a big-ticket item. Even if you're not forking over big bucks to hear Peter sing "Beth", in the context of a one-time special event, it would bring in a substantial box office take. (Not that alone, obviously, but I think you get my point).

But your points are well-made, and are why we won't see any sort of tour with the original guys back together.

SizzleVonSizzleton likes this.
  15. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

KISS is over let it go already.....

16. SizzleVonSizzleton

I hear you about it being one show. I still don't think it's THAT lucrative that they'd want to do all the legwork and rehearsal it would take to get everything up to speed for a single night. Not in 2017 when the farewell has already been done before. The diehards will always show but I don't see it exciting enough others. And if you have to drag in Lady Gaga, Adele, whoever, it loses the point of it being a KISS farewell.

Get me Vinnie Vincent and we'll talk!:D

17. SizzleVonSizzleton

I'm not sure I get what you're saying so if I'm wrong please let me know.

But there's a massive difference between tickets sold with the four original Crue members and the band without Vince. And put Slash and Axl on a stage together and you sell twice what Axl can sell on his own after 15 years and multiple tours without anyone from the original band.

With KISS I just don't see that adding Ace or Peter or Bruce is going to put a huge spike in their sales.

18. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

All good points.

If he IS going to return, I'd imagine the negotiations over his contract will be pretty hair-raising, as I doubt he'll be satisfied with the equivalent of the terms he got in 1996 (which he was very unhappy with at the time).

19. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

No problem. I believe you made the point of inferior product for a little extra money? See your post #63.

So, you think it was the same Crue the way Nick Mars was playing or Vince's voice?
    Van Halen with David singing and no Michael?
    Guns and Roses with half the band?
    Oh and I saw all three of these. Not completely satisfied because I saw the bands at their peaks. But, I went.

That is my point. I don't know how old you are, but when KISS did the MTV Unplugged, things went through the roof. I believe it was Conan O'Brien who introduced them on an aircraft carrier and Tupac introducing them to the audience at the Grammy's for the first time since December of 1979. I'm not quite sure if people really knew how huge the Reunion Tour would be.

I am of the mind if the original members did one last tour, it would sell. Regradless of playing ability or not. There are a lot of KISS fans out here. Whether people would like to believe that or not. Just my opinion and I certainly could be wrong.........

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  20. SizzleVonSizzleton

I'm 45, thanks for the reminder.

It's not 1996 anymore, just ask my knees.:D

GodShifter and Todd W. like this.
  21. Wombat Reynolds

Wombat Reynolds Jimmy Page stole all my best riffs.

this.

Stanley is done. Ace can still play.

Paulo Alm and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  22. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

I just listened to the Origins album, especially Parasite and Cold Gin. Ace sounds like a guy in his 20s. I think Kiss needs him...

23. William Smart

William Smart 21st Century Schizoid Man

Haven't read any posts in this thread yet.... but if TOMMY ain't reason enough then here's a thought. Maybe KISS might, hopefully, please gods let it be so.... Release one last decent f ing album before they Retired! I M H O. Peace, iam

24. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

That's exactly why he shouldn't rejoin KISS. Let them need all they want. KISS is over, gone, done, kaput. Ace needs to focus on making his own music.

25. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

sorry but I like the version we have right now ! I think ACE is a hack! what is it 4 or 5 solo albums in 35 years none of them real keepers!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.