Yesterday I bought Rubber Soul

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by silvina, Mar 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. silvina

silvina Forum Resident Thread Starter

Some relatives who live in the US visited Montevideoa few days ago and brought a few CDs that I ordered from Amazon and sent to their house in Orlando. When we met, he told me that earlier that day he had visited a small record store in downtown Montevideo. He even gave me a flyer advertising the place. So yesterday I went there. When I entered the store I asked the owner if they sold CDs, beacuse all I could see were band T-Shirts, posters and mugs. He told me that there were some of there in the shelves and that he had more stored in the attic. Once I was over browsing the shelves I asked him if he had something by Dusty Springfield. He went to the attic and came back with a compilation that I had never seen before. I read the tracklist and realised that I already had most of those songs on the CDs I bought from Amazon. So, then I asked him if he had Please Please Me. He told me he didn't, so I asked for Rubber Soul, which I had listened to and liked on Spotify once . He brought a few Beatles CDs, including Live At The Hollywood Bowl, but I chose Rubber Soul. It costed $18
    Then, I went to another record shop nearby and browsed the shelves for a 45 minutes and I found Please, Please Me, but I decided not to buy it beacuse I thought I didn't have enough money.
    Once I arrived home I listened to it and I was marveled by how good it is. There's not a bad song in it, but my favourite is I'm Looking Trough You (I love the mellower side of the Beatles).
    And when I woke up today it was a Beatles-only morning. First, 1 , and then Past Masters. Then this afternoon I listened to Rubber Soul again when I went out for a walk. I really enjoyed it.

2. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

mono or stereo??? :D

3. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

4. Mumbojunk

Mumbojunk Forum Resident

Fantastic. The only problem is, you'll struggle to find another album as good as that ever again.

Coricama, Dream #9, RKMiller and 25 others like this.
  5. silvina

silvina Forum Resident Thread Starter

Stereo

6. hayden10538

hayden10538 Well-Known Member

This is one of my favourite albums of theirs. I much prefer listening to this than Revolver or Sgt. Pepper's. I disagree that there's not a bad song on it, What Goes On is awful, a bland and boring badly sung tune! The album contains IMO some of John's best songs. In My Life, Girl, Nowhere Man and Norwegian Wood are all better and more interesting to me, to most of his on Revolver.

:edthumbs:

7. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

Nice, it's a great album, and the first one I really got heavily into. I feel the cover matches the tunes inside too. It has a sort of green, earthy feel to it, the whole album.

8. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

WGO is an inexplicably poor choice to open side 2.

9. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

Absolutely. When I burned a CDR copy for the car, I flipped WGO with "If I Needed Someone."

10. Zafu

Zafu Cosmic Muffin

Isn't it amazing this album was recorded 52 years ago? Just awesome work of art. Thought so in 65' and still do; but then again; it's The Beatles !!!! /love

11. airpfaff

airpfaff Well-Known Member

Rubber Soul was my first Beatles LP. Just in case I lost the first version, I bought a second version of the LP. Looked at both and realized that they began with different songs. I was utterly confused and just chalked it up to an error - I was rather young. That was when I learned that the Beatles released different versions of their albums in the US and Europe

MikaelaArsenault and npgchris like this.
  12. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

Get yourself a mono version UK. Ahhh... the best.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  13. quakerparrot67

quakerparrot67 Forum Resident

i would recommend picking up 'revolver' as soon as possible- it's at least close , and to my ears even a bit better.

cheers,
    rob

MikaelaArsenault and Clonesteak like this.
  14. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

Congratulations. "Rubber Soul" is maybe the best starting point by the band, as far as original albums go.
    It has fantastic songs, varied styles and a mellow feel. Ranks among my favourites as well.

15. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

The last album where John had better songs than Paul IMO.

16. Mickey2

Mickey2 Forum Resident

Enjoy! Ignore all the mono or stereo confusion. Enjoy the music and the discovery of something new/old. There's plenty of time to get all wound up in geeky mix, media format, pressings, mastering, ... questions if you are so inclined.

17. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

Rubber Soul is where it began for me as a 5/6 year old. US version (which to me is superior-it gives it more of a 'Folk Album' feel, as Brian Wilson once put it). Or it could be it's just the version that I grew up listening to, and that's why I prefer that one!

18. Michael P

Michael P Forum Resident

Unfortunately you can't buy The Beatles' single mono CD's. They are only available in the box set. :realmad:

MikaelaArsenault and Keith V like this.
  19. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Agreed. The mono-phytes are really taking over every Beatles conversation. We get it, you prefer mono. Not everyone does. Or cares.

20. Leepal

Leepal Forum Resident

I think Rubber Soul was the first original Beatles album I bought, way back when, must have been around 30 years ago..it was quite old then!

MikaelaArsenault and Joti Cover like this.
  21. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Really?? Opinion respected but i have to totally disagree. I think John's songs on Revolver are equal to if not better than Paul's. For starters, TNK, is the greatest thing on the album; I'm Only Sleeping and She Said She Said are both highly melodic incredibly progressive Pop/Rock. While Paul's songs are also highly melodic (and when *weren't* they), they don't push the "envelope" as John's do (with the notable exception of Eleanor Rigby).

...and there's Sgt. Pepper...while Paul easily outdoes John in quantity, John's three major contributions, LSD, Kite and ADITL easily beat out the majority of Paul's songs on the album. This is not in any way to put the McCartney tracks down, by the way.

...and then there's The White Album.

But again..my IMO vs. your IMO...it's all good.:righton:

22. yohalfprice

yohalfprice Forum Resident

UPC: 602537643707
    Artist: The Beatles
    Format: CD
    Release Year: 2014
    Record Label: Capitol
    Mono and stereo

23. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Stereo is better anyways.....

And now you gotta Rock this 2 sided T-Shirt

[​IMG]

24. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

It's somewhat surprising they decided to sell the US mono+stereo CDs individually. I wonder which are more prevalent on shelves now, the UK stereo versions or the US?

25. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

Bull, the Beatles surpassed that album multiple times afterwards.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.