The Who 50th Anniversary Tour: 2014-2017 and more! *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by reb, May 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

While thrilled to hear about "rehearsing new songs"---presume poster is friend of band or crew?---my prediction is that maybe two of them get in the set for the first few shows and then a la Slip Kid and Quick One from last go-round, they are both gone by halfway thru the tour.

I'd love to hear "Athena" which as I recall didn't even make it all the way thru the tour for which it was then the single. They didn't play it in Orlando 82 when I first saw them.

vitorbastos123 likes this.
  2. reb

reb Money Beats Soul Thread Starter

Tommy Rehearsals

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Jon Button replacing Pino Palladino on bass

"This is slated to be an acoustic version of TOMMY coming up this week at the Royal Albert Hall. It has certainly some acoustic parts, but the usual setup of drums and keys and amps is present too. They are playing with the sequence of songs, evaluating which ones fit best in different ways than before. Which songs have more meaning now and which have not aged as well. The principal members decide how each song will be arranged. There’s a lot more acoustic guitar and a lot less electric, but there certainly will be some electric power chords when useful. As you likely know, The Who – even when played on acoustic guitars – is not necessarily a quiet, gentle thing. It will feel quite familiar but with enough surprises to interest any Who fan."

Rehearsal Report: London, England. 21-24 March, 2017 - The Who

Hep Alien, Gersh, Carserguev and 5 others like this.
  3. Brian Doherty

While I have never heard Button perform, I pray this very happy news means some CHANCE of a return to actual "who-like" bass attack and tone in the touring Who. Pino just never did care about making "the Who sound like the Who" which I blame more on the bandleaders than him.

4. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Any word on if US dates include Tommy? I would be more likely to buy tix for that than for yet another run through of the tunes you are sure to hear if you spend a day listening to classic rock radio.

5. reb

Button is another recruit from Daltrey's solo band. He played bass on the recent Daltrey Tommy solo tour and likely the prior solo tour as well. While I did catch one of those Tommy shows, I can't recall much about the bass playing. He's reportedly a more aggressive player than Pino, emulating some of the vintage Who tone.

6. dee

dee Senior Member

In whatever order would be interested to hear them try ;)
    1)1921
    2)Amazing Journey/Sparks
    3)Christmas
    4)Young Man Blues
    5)Cousin Kevin Model Child
    6)Acid Queen
    7)Pinball Wizard
    8)Go To The Mirror
    9)Champagne
    10)I Believe My Own Eyes
    11)Sensation
    12)I'm Free
    13)We're Not Gonna Take It
    14)See Me Feel Me

7. screechmartin

screechmartin Senior Member

Is that Zak behind the drum kit? It doesn't look like him. Perhaps the two guys who have been semi-permanent members of the band for the last 15 years have finally bailed on this tour to the grave.

8. screechmartin

screechmartin Senior Member

They replaced John with Pino (a very fine bassist), a rhythm guitarist that nobody in the Who fan universe wanted, and 3 keyboard players. It still wasn't enough.

9. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

It's definitely Zak. I know it doesn't look like him from that picture but there are other pictures from that rehearsal on the official site that show him a lot more clearly.

Hep Alien, Gardo and vitorbastos123 like this.
  10. reb

Tour update alert

New date just announced

Festival d'Été de Québec - July 13, 2017.........Quebec Canada

11. marc with a c

marc with a c Forum Resident

I'm interested to hear the new bassist. Pino is phenomenal, but he's always felt a bit too "polite" to fit with them tone-wise.

davers likes this.
  12. reb

I've watched about a dozen video clips from Tonight's show, it appears Townshend is playing the entire show Electric.!

No doubt to my ear, the bass sounds noticeably more upfront with greater presence , attack and tonality.

Gardo likes this.
  13. reb

March 30-

The Royal Albert Hall

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
  14. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

Shame the Encore is the usual songs instead of Summertime Blues and Shakin' All Over.

WhoTapes1 likes this.
  15. qwyjibo

qwyjibo Forum Resident

I was at tonight'a show. This was my first time seeing The Who and I really enjoyed the show. Tommy came across very well in a live setting. Pete Townshend did indeed play the entire show electric as he claimed that he couldn't get a loud enough sound with just acoustic. No complaints from me or indeed anyone else in the audience! Roger Daltrey did sound decent for the most part though he was struggling a bit with the high notes in See Me, Feel Me. However, Townshend's voice is more or less gone. He should stick to playing guitar which he still does pretty well. Aside from those minor criticisms, I'm glad I went to see them and that they were in good form.

Gersh, WhoTapes1 and J_D__ like this.
  16. Brian Doherty

That's a REAL disappointing setlist. I hope that's not what I get in August in Vegas. Not really in mood in life to hear all the Tommy "deep cuts"---especially when they do ALL the instrumentals and Cousin Kevin and yet no Sally Simpson!

Join Together....man, who do they think wants to hear that? It was the midset energy destroyer on the last tour.

I guess I should be pleased and amazed they aren't ending with WGFA. That's a real fresh take, Pete...

17. reb

IIRC, this is the first time performing Underture live since 1969

Hep Alien likes this.
  18. Sandinista

Sandinista Forum Resident

I wonder why they're not doing Sally Simpson? Fun song, seems like it would still be well within Roger's wheelhouse.

19. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

Curious! Do you think someone accidentally left it off the setlist? It seemed to be on the list in rehearsal according to the official site. Be interesting to see what happens on Saturday!

Hep Alien likes this.
  20. vitorbastos123

vitorbastos123 Forum Resident

They recorded on video last night show.

reb likes this.
  21. Who'sTommy

Who'sTommy Forum Resident

I am not surprised they played electric. "Tommy" acoustically wouldn't have worked at all.

There have been enough opportunities the last few years to hear all the hits. So a full "Tommy" (with songs like "1921", "Sensation" and "Christmas" that haven't been performed since 1989) is a bit of fresh air.

I love "Join Together" and I am glad it is still in the set.

If they're doing the "Underture" (I noticed it was late in the set), I think it's played to give Roger and Pete a breather. The same reason "The Rock" was included.

Hep Alien, J_D__, dee and 2 others like this.
  22. zippy

zippy Forum Resident

So that DVD is called : The Who The Vegas JobThe Who Live in Las Vegas The Reunion Concert.

What a long title!

23. Dog Ear

Dog Ear The 2nd Protects The 1st

Sally Simpson was played last night. It came right after Underture.

Hep Alien, dee, WhoTapes1 and 2 others like this.
  24. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

reb and WhoTapes1 like this.
  25. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

I have a feeling Underture hasn't been played at all until now.

WhoTapes1 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.