Pro-ject Carbon 9/10 vs Xtension 9/10...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ls35a, Feb 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident Thread Starter

Project makes two very modern looking tables, the Carbon 9 and 10 (the latter with a 10" tonearm and a slightly heavier platter).

[​IMG]

They also make a 'more traditional looking' table with a rectangular wood plinth and dust cover, the Xtension 9 and 10 (again 10" arm).

[​IMG]

So.... why make two pair of products so similar to each other? Why would someone buy one over the other? Any reason except for style?

All comments on this welcome, particularly if you heard or compared any of these.....

2. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

well the no plinth design is said to have less resonance than tables with plinths. Also, there was a guy over at vinyl engine who took a good listen to both tables before making a purchase of the Carbon 9 and later Carbon 10. He said the two tables, the Carbon and the xtention are almost alike in sound with the Carbon being a little faster. He said it was hot rod version of the Xtention. And why make table so close to each other??? Well , less is suppose to be best, (Carbon 9,10) but I dont know if you can really hear the less is best. But still, some guys like a no plinth option better....and money...Pro-Ject has always done very well with the no plinth tables. Its all about the mighty $$$$. Pro-Ject is the biggest TT seller in the world. And don't forget....E.A.T. Turntables are also Pro-Ject....coming out the same factory and owned by the Pro-Ject owners wife. http://www.europeanaudioteam.com/

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
    Gettyman and Dennis0675 like this.
  3. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I think it's because of the plinth and dust cover

oregonalex and Slippers-on like this.
  4. Slippers-on

excellent point. With Carbon.....dust cover is optional.

5. Well, as the owner of a Xtension 10, I'd say it was to appeal to different needs and tastes. I much prefer the classic look of my table and wanted an intergrated cover. I was aware that theRPM series are the hotrodded version but am happy with the trade off. Plus, mine does sound very good!

Slippers-on likes this.
  6. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

Mmm. Carbon Fiber... a man's best friend.

7. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

In fairness, the RPM 10 Carbon does have a plinth.

[​IMG]

8. Slippers-on

That not considered a plinth. Thats Pro-Ject's ground it base. The ground is resonance free and filled with granular damping. It can be used with any TT.....

BTW...That RPM 10 Carbon TT is beautiful!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
    Cliff likes this.
  9. Slippers-on

Yelp.....Hot Rod.....thats why it called the RPM Line.

But I hear the Xtention 10 is an excellent table and is said to be on the same level as the VPI Classic series...and Pro-Jects "Signature series" is on the level of some of VPI more expensive tables.

10. dark*star

dark*star Forum Resident

I just purchased a Carbon 10 and it's absolutely outstanding! My dealer was selling Xtension in his studio, but I wanted this one. After he put it all together and set it up, his mind was blown. He says he's going to make this his go-to TT. Overall, it's a great value, IMO, when you take into account the individual pricing tonearm and cartridge. Anyway, I love it!

11. If I was interested in buying a turntable with a straight tone arm, I'd probably go for the more conventional looking one with the nice utilitarian drive pulley cover. Then again, if I had the money to blow, I'd buy one of their upper line models with "S" type tone arms.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.