The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

It's in fact an excellent release. Keith' tack piano is prominent in the mix, thus his immense addition to the overall Dead sound is highlighted. I haven't listened to it in a couple of years, but it's one of my favourite '71 live releases and one of the best in Dave's series.

2. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

just as long as you are there.

Wow, I love how this China Cat starts out on DiP 12, partially deconstructed. If you* were really high at this show, you'd be like, "Is this China Cat? Of course it is. Right? This has got to be China Cat. Yeah, it's totally China Cat, right?"

*The royal you, I am not singling out JRM. Southerners would say you-all, or y'all. Of course you can never get in trouble in this thread when you purport to speak for everyone. :D

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
    Crispy Rob, budwhite, NorCal and 3 others like this.
  3. JRM

JRM Forum Resident Thread Starter

How was it?

4. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

IWAT about 2/3 back on the field. I remember the reverb bouncing off of the domed arena at the backend of the stadium coming back and messing with heads. I'm sure it sounded great in the lot, the place was so small old and open. Sport coat Jerry.

[​IMG]

Mad Dog, Crispy Rob, budwhite and 5 others like this.
  5. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Anybody pick up or plan on picking up the RSD release?

[​IMG]

6. trd

trd Forum Resident

I'll be at the Ogden, on the fence about Red Rocks.

DrLunchbox and JRM like this.
  7. Bill Cormier

Bill Cormier Forum Resident

A friend got me a copy in Rochester, N.Y. as ALL of the record stores in my area (Albany, NY and surrounding areas) boycott RSD much to the frustration of music fans in the area.

8. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Home and nestled in after being out on a rainy day. This is now filling the air quite nicely.

9. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

It's alright but nothing special. Very nice intro by Dylan.
    But I get a kick just listening to our heroes playing together I gotta say.
    Dylan and Hunter wrote songs. The big "what if" didn't happen with Dylan and Garcia as far as I know.

Nobody did Dylan better than Garcia so I'm not complaining

Crispy Rob, Rne, JRM and 1 other person like this.
  10. budwhite

Nope, but the cover art is one of the best I've seen in recent years And I don't even care much about that as noted before

11. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Actually, if you search for "Beat Club" on YouTube, you'll find a veritable who's-who of '60s/'70s rock acts...

12. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

I ordered a copy. A favorite period of the band for me. But I haven't seen many talking about buying it, or hearing it.

13. budwhite

Oh, the music is great for that early time of the band. My only complaint is the lack of Bob Weir's guitar in the mix

Billy_Sunday, ianuaditis and Rne like this.
  14. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

15. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

Just got this on the used market. Slowly filling holes.

[​IMG]

16. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Yes, apart from that, the recording quality is remarkable. Once again, we owe it to Mr. Owsley Stanley.

Crispy Rob and budwhite like this.
  17. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

That's not a corollary, it's a clause.

18. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Attempting to define something specifically in the context of Dark Star might be the definition of alternate futility.

Billy_Sunday, US Blues and ianuaditis like this.
  19. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

Thanks to you and Archtop, but that was a rhetorical question stemming from the seeming inability of the film crews in the two videos I watched to get the camera on the guy doing the guitar solo (or even the right singer in the GD version.)

It's a corollary to the statement '5-11-72 is the longest Dark Star Q.E.D.'

And speaking of corollaries, clauses etc., I was looking at one of the versions of that on the Archive, and it's tracked something like 'Dark Star>Drums>Phil and Drums>Dark Star>Space>Jam>Sugar Magnolia. (or somewhat like that.)

Which raises the question, what's the convention on when 'Dark Star' stops?

The argument on the Archive comments for that version is that it stops shortly after the verse, because they never really return to the DS theme after the 'tiger cub' (my term) space jam, and instead play an indeterminate jam that hints at Bird Song, Caution and Truckin before Weir dials in Sugar Magnolia.

A counter-assertion, (and my own opinion) is that given the free-form nature of Dark Star, it doesn't really stop until something else definitively begins, and all those fits and starts are part of the journey that doesn't end until at long last it reaches a new destination.

Or, 'the Dark Star starts when the drops start dropping. When the drops stop dropping, the Dark Star starts stopping.'

20. Archtop

Y'know, I had the mental whereabouts to at least tentatively conclude that when I responded to your post, but not enough folks have heard that second take of Deep Purple Mark II's No No No, so I posted it because I could. As for the rest of your above post, I'm currently listening to Harry Nilsson, so my esoteric is problematic at the moment.

And for the record, Nilsson's Coconut and The Beatles' Tomorrow Never Knows have identical harmonic structure.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  21. ianuaditis

Yes, I should have included in my reply to you and @Wright above that it certainly doesn't hurt to post those videos, nor to point out that Youtube has many other early rock vids from the Beat Club.

Archtop likes this.
  22. Archtop

Back in the day (and not all that long ago), there was a series of Beat Club compilations on CD. To wit: Various - Beat-Club Vol. 1

Anyone know if this was released as a boxed set on CD/DVD? Some good stuff here. And any chance to see this lovely lady more than once would be welcome (rippin' free intro to this one also):

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  23. ianuaditis

Inspired by the 'albums ruined by one song' thread:

This is the original mix; I think it's more compelling for sure, especially this song, but I've come around to the remix version too.

I'm convinced the band gave up 'trying to capture their live sound in the studio' after the first album, and began a phase of studio experimentation that culminated in this recording, especially 6:30-8:27.

24. ianuaditis

I also listened to the remix right after, it's not nearly as effective. I do believe I prefer the remix version of China Cat, and maybe Mountains of the Moon, but other than that, its the original.

I'd forgive Dave for putting out nothing but 77 for the rest of the year if we get the original AoxomoxA on CD somewhere along the line. Maybe for the 50th.

25. Archtop

What's Become of the Baby has always been my second favorite track on Aoxomoxoa. Rosemary being the first. The "mainstream" stuff was brilliant live. I've no time for studio versions of the obvious stuff.

ianuaditis and notesofachord like this.