Tom Petty vinyl box set 1994-2014

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jack, Oct 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. psulioninks

psulioninks Forum Resident

Wonder if it has anything to do with that etched side 4?

2. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

"The Last DJ" has an etched side 4, and no such problems, at least in my box.

3. psulioninks

psulioninks Forum Resident

I finished cleaning up my rip of Echo today...lot of work on side three, but it sounds great now. Interestingly, almost all of the problems were in the left channel.

So I turned my attention to The Last DJ which I just ripped yesterday. After running it thru my pre-screen in ClickRepair, I knew this pressing was going to be an issue as well. Tons of problems in the left channel. So I put on the headphones and gave it a listen...lots of the same problems as with side three of Echo. Looks like this one is a gonner. :realmad:

I wonder if the individual release of this title will solve this pressing issue?

4. Bigrfish

Bigrfish Active Member

Finally got around to listening to She's The One stand alone... sounds very good. Like really good. Clean,quiet and detailed. Wow.
    Glad I passed on volume 2.. With a new Wildflowers apparently coming anyways happy to purchase these
    separately. Also bought Last DJ and Echo..Will report back on those as well.

fourfeathers likes this.
  5. loudinny

loudinny Forum Resident

A couple post above had me wondering so I just gave Echo side 3 a good listen again (out of the box set). LP is flat and completely dead quiet/nice black background. Sounds great!

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
    googlymoogly likes this.
  6. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

I've had 2 copies now, both with the same problem, dang it. So frustrating because the rest of the album sounds so good.

7. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

I just played my side 3 of echo - completely silent.

8. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

My German pressed Vol 1 box was perfect. All records from memory came with polylined inners. a few in Vol 2 did not thou.

9. fourfeathers

fourfeathers Forum Resident

She's The One sounds effing phenomenal. Dead quiet pressing, super flat and has some nice heft. Packaging is extremely bare bones, but for under $20, I cannot complain at all. By FAR the best I've ever heard this album sound. Heard harmonies, handclaps and percussion I've never heard before. Man I love this album. So stoked to finally add it to the collection!

Rockinrob and Johnny Wong like this.
  10. PooreBoy

PooreBoy Forum Resident

I had to go and re-check my side 3 of both Echo and The Last D.J. from the US box set and both were dead silent...all the way to the end. So I'm thankful that I'm one of the lucky ones who doesn't have this problem.

11. Bigrfish

Bigrfish Active Member

Full Moon Fever up on Amazon.ca for preorder. Wow. DTT and ITGWO as well. Looks like all
    of Box 1 is coming. Southern Accents, Hard Promises, Pack up the Plantation to boot.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
    Yankeefan01 likes this.
  12. Yankeefan01

Yankeefan01 Forum Resident

Niiiiiice! I'll be ordering Full Moon Fever and ITGWO once they're released. Wait, I have a birthday in June. I'll have my Wife or kids get them for me!

13. I just pre-ordered FMF and ITGWO. $20 each.

14. Bigrfish

Bigrfish Active Member

Really good deal especially if they are the same as what came in the box set. Ordered Pack up the Plantation.

15. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

Nice to see Pack Up the Plantation coming too.

fourfeathers likes this.
  16. randy9700

randy9700 Indian MC Rider!

Has anyone determined if the individual pressings are 140 gram? Can folks post the UPC of the individual releases to compare to the box set?

17. Bigrfish

Bigrfish Active Member

Hard to say at this point for the box 1 stuff. Box 2 stuff is not 180 gram although I've only got She's The One, Echo and The Last DJ which seem to be standard weight
    pressings.

18. So am I right that every album from the 90s onwards is available or available for pre-order except Wildflowers?

19. randy9700

Can you post the UPC codes of the ones you bought individually?

20. Bigrfish

Bigrfish Active Member

I would say you are right.

21. Bigrfish

Bigrfish Active Member

The Last DJ - 0 93624 92024 3
    Echo - 0 93624 92025 0
    She's The One - 0 93624 96391 2

22. PooreBoy

PooreBoy Forum Resident

Those are the same UPC codes as the ones from my box set.

23. randy9700

Well, if this is the case they are generally 180 gram pressings. I weighed the ones from my box on a postal scale and they were very close to 6.34 ounces (180 grams)...very reasonable cost!

24. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

The albums from box 2 have appeared on Amazon uk at really reasonable prices

25. Crazyhorse11

Crazyhorse11 Hoser

Except Wildlfowers

mfurbu likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.