Record Store Day 2017 Sound Quality And Music Reviews

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AnalogJ, Apr 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Millington

Millington Forum Resident

Bet it's the Hoffmeister.

2. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959 Thread Starter

I have it but haven't opened it yet. It may be until tomorrow that I open and play it.

Blender likes this.
  3. The Claypool Lennon 10" EP sounds awesome. The error is that the order and side listing of the songs on the back cover and label is different than the actual song order on the actual record.

POGunter likes this.
  4. Buckyball

Buckyball Forum Resident

My best guess is Scott Hull, who bought Masterdisk in 2008.

5. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

How does the sound compare tomthe cd? The cd is fabulous music, but very low Dynamic range, and I never listen to it. If DR is improved for the vinyl, I would grab one.

6. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

How does one tell a Gilbert Kong- Is there a GK in deadwax? I have a US and UK as well but haven't played in ages.

7. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Anyone else who purchased Neil Young "Decade" get two of the same records in their set instead of the 3 they should have had in their set? I got a duplicate Record #1, and the store I purchased this at, said another person got the same - so it has to be more than a coincidence that more than one copy had two Record #1 and no Record #2.

I sent a note to Dr. Rhino (not sure if he can do anything since this is not actually a Rhino RSD release), and the store is going to check with Warner Brothers and/or his distributor to see what can be done before I have to return the LP for my money back.

The problem is the store I purchased it at had about 5 or so copies and he is sold out - and I wouldn't want to take a chance mail-ordering another set for fear I will go through the same thing.

I know I asked this question in the Decade RSD 2017 thread and one person responded his set was fine, so obviously this has not occurred to all the sets made, but obviously to at least 2 (my copy and the one other copy sold at the same store).

8. lesterbangs

lesterbangs Forum Resident

Just bought one from the vultures on ebay...

Can't wait to spin it

Jaffboy151 likes this.
  9. jc1303

jc1303 Forum Resident

I know there's a thread about the Robert Johnson Centennial collection elsewhere on here but I'm hearing it for the first time at the moment.
    Sitting in the dark, headphones on.
    Jeez, it's incredible.
    Almost feels like Robert Johnson is in the room. Its making the hair stand up on the back of my neck! :eek:

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  10. redflag

redflag Forum Resident

Just listened to the Rough Guide to the Delta Blues. Considering the sources of the songs, these sound pretty good. Going to guess they are digital files made off 78s as are most of these types of releases featuring songs from the 30's. I've heard better transfers of old blues songs (the process used for American Epic is pretty staggering) but I've heard a hell of a lot worse! I really like it. The record was flat and quiet. The download has an additional 9 songs. Nothing to complain about at all and how rare is it to saythat on the internet about an RSD item?

11. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

On mine, yes. It has G.K. on both sides.

Side 1 - G.K. 44 93105 A-1 6-8-71
    Side 2 - G.K. 44 93105 B-1 6-8-71

chacha likes this.
  12. Rekkerds

Rekkerds Forum Resident

Gave Ready Steady Who 3 a spin this morning, it's a very rough recording, and I probably won't play it again. Hadn't heard this live recording before and heard the release was pulled so I didn't expect much. Was surprised to see it in store. Upside, it's on nicely pressed, quiet and flat vinyl (pressed at Optimal I think).

J_D__ likes this.
  13. Larry Loves LPs

Larry Loves LPs Forum Resident

See my note above on my less than desirable listening room. I got the Townes Van Zandt live LP which is on Fat Possum. It has J Powell in the dead wax and MRP. Who is J Powell?

The record sounds very nice for what it is, a live recording. Flat and pretty quiet. The jacket is flimsy and the sleeve is white polylined.

The actual music is great. A couple of funny talking blues tunes and of course his great sense of humor. I really enjoyed it.

14. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

Listened to the Jimmy Page and Black Crowes EP and it sounds great.

Also listened to the Rush Cygnus X 1 disc and sounds very nice.

Vinyl_Blues and jc1303 like this.
  15. Larry Loves LPs

Larry Loves LPs Forum Resident

Man, I want that Black Crowes but the eBay prices are high so I'm going to hold off.

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  16. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

Any reviews of Sun Records lp?

17. coniferouspine

coniferouspine Forum Resident

Anyone get the Procol Harum "Whiter Shade" 12" yet? I didn't see one at any stores, but I am admittedly kind of obsessed with that song and that particular part of the band's history....plus the idea of an EP combining everything they recorded that particular day, really intrigues me. I'm not going to pay $80 for it but I'm curious as to how it sounds.

Vinyl_Blues and mikedifr0923 like this.
  18. marksxart

marksxart Forum Resident

Very disappointed in the Sundays Blind reissue. Lackluster packaging (generic white inner sleeve, no lyrics, no download card) and a strange choice of color for the vinyl. But the sound is the real issue for me ,with very noticeable sibilance throughout. At $26, was really hoping for something much better.

19. redflag

redflag Forum Resident

Have it, but not spun it yet. If it's like the others, it'll probably be pretty damn good.

20. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked

Crosby EP: 45 rpm, 4 songs. The vinyl has a trace of surface noise, but nothing I would necessarily complain about. The sonics are really excellent, especially at some points where Cros strums a loud chord on his guitar. It's like he's in the room. Guinevere version is amazing. Totally worth the $15.

Stevie Nicks : Rarities. Excellent vinyl and pressing - zero noise on my system, CD quiet. Sonics vary by song, as some are studio outtakes and demos, and some are live versions. The demo version of Bella Donna alone is worth the price of admission. It's a stripped down version with just piano and Stevie, and not to overuse this phrase in the same post, but it's like she is in the room. Her voice sounds like it was recorded to tape a minute ago, and you're hearing playback. The other songs are well chosen, and include some previous soundtrack-only songs. The version of Edge of Seventeen is probably the weakest of this set. Worth it.

21. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

:bdance:

22. hutchenstance

hutchenstance Well-Known Member

I know I don't have my stereo info up so shouldn't comment on sound quality but the Bettie Serveert one sounds killer...and the music is great!

23. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

Yes. I like the song, I am very much looking forward to the new album. The pressing is okay, I heard that some had issues, I have none.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
    JoeF. likes this.
  24. cgoodwin22

cgoodwin22 Senior Member

My copy was fine. That sucks. Hopefully they will take care of you.

25. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked

Woodstock version really interesting, too. Great EP.

Myke likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.