The Jazz Beat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Cactus Bob

Cactus Bob << Desert Rat >>

Shakti with John McLaughlin

Columbia, 1976

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. jiffypopinski

jiffypopinski Forum Resident

Santana - Lotus (Hybrid 4.0 Complete Edition)

[​IMG]

3. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Miles Davis - The Complete Jack Johnson Sessions (disc 4)

[​IMG]

Has some of my favorite stuff from the set, Ali and Konda, plus some of the stuff that made it onto Live-Evil.

4. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Bill Evans Trio, THE LAST WALTZ (Milestone), 8 CDs worth of material from Evans' final recordings, live at Keystone Korner in SF in 1980. Marc Johnson bass and Joe LaBarbera drums. Listened to Disc 1, which starts of with a brief but spellbinding solo rendition of "After You" (Evans introduces the tune saying LaBarbera "must be in the bathroom or something" before launching in, impromptu, "for this young lady who wanted to hear it"). Then it's all trio, though many of the pieces have lengthy unaccompanied introductions. The recording quality isn't perfect but more than good enough to register the nuance and telepathy of this group. It might seem like owning this boxed set and the companion Keystone Korner engagement box CONSECRATION (8 CDs, also on Milestone) would be a bit excessive, particularly with all the repeated titles, but these are consistently among the most rewarding recordings in Evans' capacious and stellar catalog. Add the TURN OUT THE STARS box (Warner Brothers), 6 CDs of recordings of the same trio from the Village Vanguard a couple months earlier, and you have one of the most concentrated outpourings of creative brilliance on record. And then, sadly, there was no more.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  5. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

The day after losing out on eBay for a copy, walking into a local store and getting this off the wall for less than your highest bid is a good feeling...

[​IMG]

6. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(CD Columbia Legacy Europe CK-65513) .... recorded November 1959 .... Booker Ervin/Benny Golson (ts) + John Handy (as) + Jerome Richardson (bs) +Don Ellis/Richard Williams (tp) + Jimmy Knepper (tb) + Teddy Charles (vib) + Roland Hanna/Nico Bunink (p) + Charlie Mingus (b) + Maurice Brown/Seymour Barab (cello) + Dannie Richmond (dr) .... compared to "Ah Um" a rather overlooked Charles Mingus album showcasing again his ingenious approach both as arranger/composer and musician .... excellent sounding european Legacy sounding edition from 1998, which furthermore includes unedited and unreleased material ....

7. Carraway

Carraway Well-Known Member

Solo Monk makes good 3AM music (Wikipedia photo).

[​IMG]

8. garrincha

garrincha Forum Resident

9. Listening to a few newly issued CD revives from The Duke today!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 Essential Albums - Duke Ellington (Verve+Impulse!) 3CD

Although I already had a copy of superb Plays The Blues Back To Back it's great to have the opportunity to pick up the two harder to find (and more expensive) live albums, Soul Call (Verve/1966) & Live At The Whitney (Impuse!/1972). I love all these albums and suspect all 3 titles here are presented in original CD mastering, and that is to be welcomed.

Unfortunately the 3CDs are not housed as expected inside a mini/sturdy cardboard box with individual CDs in mini replica cardboard sleeves of the original albums.

The discs, housed in slots inside a thin cardboard triple gatefold sleeve, are awkward to remove/put back in place, especially if you are right handed! Many will find this design very frustrating. If you want to ensure these discs remain in pristine condition they may need to be stored elsewhere (or else handled with extra special care).

There is no booklet in this package and no CD mastering credits are given.

Cactus Bob, Marzz, rxcory and 3 others like this.
  10. Carraway

Carraway Well-Known Member

A little Vijay Iyer Trio this late morning. (Amazon photo).

[​IMG]

11. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I'm not a fan of the triple gate fold sleeves. The center one is a pain. That said, I'm in the same boat as you. I have Back to Back but not the others so this looks very interesting to me.

12. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Wonderful stuff, Evans at his very best. I keep returning to these sets and the quality of the music never ceases to amaze and impress me.

charlesp, Marzz, Erik B. and 4 others like this.
  13. macdaddysinfo

macdaddysinfo Forum Resident

[​IMG]

finding gems like this is what is so cool about digging in the bins of record stores; found some really interesting stuff today (and yesterday) - this is the first of these new (to me) titles that I get to play... I had heard a lot about Joe Pass, but I believe this is the first I have actually heard him...

14. garrincha

garrincha Forum Resident

15. macdaddysinfo

macdaddysinfo Forum Resident

Starting the morning with coffee and this find from yesterday's bins...

[​IMG]

I had the occasion to meet mr Owens when he was playing with willie, watt, Nels and perk at two banyan gigs I was recording years ago. He has long been a player I dug, because his playing is featured (but uncredited) on my favorite Marvin Gaye album (here, my dear). Anyway, when I saw this yesterday, and saw that Ray Brown is involved, I had to pick it up, and I am very glad I did.

AxiomAcoustics, Carraway, DrJ and 3 others like this.
  16. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Purchased this used LP yesterday in the cause of "Record Store Day"

[​IMG]

Hmmm, I am not sure why I waited so long to get this one, given I am a big fan of Ralph Towner. The album has Towner and his Oregon bandmates in solo and trio configurations. Very nice.

Voltaire, charlesp, Carraway and 8 others like this.
  17. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Vince Guaraldi Trio – A Flower is a Lovesome Thing… (Fantasy Records)
    — Vince Guaraldi (piano), Eddie Duran (guitar), Dean Relly (bass)

[​IMG]

18. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Coleman HawkinsThe Hawk Swings — Vol. 2 (Crown Records / Fresh Sound Records)
    — Thad Jones (trumpet); Coleman Hawkins (tenor sax); Eddie Costa (piano & vibes); George Duvivier (bass); Osie Johnson (drums); originally called: Coleman Hawkins and His Orchestra

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Marzz, Carraway, Erik B. and 6 others like this.
  19. jiffypopinski

Mike Nock - Ondas

[​IMG]

20. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Duke EllingtonIn Gröna Lund 1963 - CD 2 (Storyville Records)
    — Cootie Williams, Eddie Preston, Rolf Ericson (tp); Ray Nance (tp, vln, vo); Lawrence Brown, Chuck Conners, Buster Cooper (tb); Jimmy Hamilton (ts, cl), Russell Procope (as, cl), Johnny Hodges (as); Paul Gonsalves (ts), Harry Carney (bs, cl, bcl); Duke Ellington (p), Ernie Shepard (b), Sam Woodyard (dr)

[​IMG]

Carraway, rxcory, DrJ and 3 others like this.
  21. Cactus Bob

Charles Mingus ~ Blues & Roots

Atlantic, 1960/1975 reissue

[​IMG]

dZp, vanhooserd, miklew and 16 others like this.
  22. Cactus Bob

Gene Ammons ~ Blue Gene

Prestige OJC reissue

[​IMG]

dZp, miklew, AxiomAcoustics and 8 others like this.
  23. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

Thelonious Monk: Les Liaisons Dangereuses 1960

[​IMG]

24. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Purty! I couldn't find one of these in the stores here on RSD, but as of today I have a copy on the way. I stumbled on this wonderful seller on Discogs (in France) who apparently had a stockpile of these and is also a decent guy, selling them for just a little above store retail (not the crazy prices they are going for on Ebay now). Unfortunately looks like he must have sold out because I don't see an active listing there anymore, but in case people want to check back there later or tomorrow or drop him an inquiry, the seller is balades_sonores . This was discussed on one of the RSD threads, and several people bought copies from him.

Among all the vinyl treasures of Sunday's RSD haul, I also found this 3 CD Columbia/Legacy set ($12.95, used) which is terrific if you happen to be a Mose fan like me:
    [​IMG]
    It contains the 3 LPs that Allison recorded during his tenure on Columbia (1959-1961), between his better known stints on Prestige and Atlantic. These are THE TRANSFIRUGATION OF HIRAM BROWN, I LOVE THE LIFE I LIVE, and V-8 FORD BLUES. The music is prime Mose - swinging, earthy, sly, appealingly unorthodox (his piano style is unlike any other). Supporting musicians include bassists Addison Farmer, Henry Grimes (!), Bill Crow, or Aaron Bell and drummers Jerry Segal, Paul Motian (concurrent with his Bill Evans Trio stint), Gus Johnson, and Osie Johnson. The cherry on the sundae is that the sound is reference quality - truly outstanding remixing and remastering by Vic Anesini.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  25. jiffypopinski

Terje Rypdal - What Comes After

[​IMG]