Happy Days Star Erin Moran, Dead At 56 of throat cancer.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Jamey K, Apr 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I can't speak for everyone that's ever said "never touched alcohol" but I've mat a few people who did just that, never drank at all. Never felt like trying it, never wanted to try it. One in particular had an alcoholic in the family and grew up with it so was put off from day one really.

This would be in addition to people I know who tried it but never liked it.

2. balzac

balzac Senior Member

Definitely, there are plenty of folks who completely refrain. But I've also seen many celebrities and other people who conflate "drugs and alcohol" when they mean to say abstinence from the former and only non-abuse of the latter.

MikaelaArsenault and eddiel like this.
  3. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Very sad to hear.

Used to watch Happy Days growing up.

RIP Erin...

Gone too soon.

4. Bowieboy

Bowieboy Forum Resident

I haven't cared for Scott Baio in a long time, but his comments the last couple days cement the real reason nobody wants to work with him (he claims last year cost him work... what about the previous 25 years since Charles In Charge left the airwaves?)... he's a class-A dbag refusing to recant his words when it's been proven that Erin died of cancer and not drugs/alcohol.

5. Sam

Sam Senior Member

I disagree. Scott Baio was being honest. Sure, the cancer may have killed her in the end, but the way she looked 6 years ago suggests that her lifestyle was doing her in. I'm sure he was frustrated as was others who did try and help her. When all help is refused, anger sets in. And the result is a honest answer that some perceive as "harsh" or "cruel." Too bad someone wasn't a little more forward with her when she was alive. Maybe she wouldn't be dead.

6. Sam

Sam Senior Member

Why do you think all of her cast mates have been trying to reach out and help her for years? Do you think it was because she had cancer? Think again. Sure, I don't doubt she had that in the end, but if she didn't, I would have to believe her time here on earth was going to be short-lived. She's had ongoing abuse problems for years based on what her fellow cast members are saying. Baio was being honest.

7. Bowieboy

Bowieboy Forum Resident

let's not forget that Joanie herself may have been the most fashion-forward character in television... picking up trends 20 years before they happened lol. I swear that I remember an episode very late into the run of Happy Days where Joanie was wearing a Jennifer Beals style torn sweatshirt... in 1963? LOL

8. Bowieboy

Bowieboy Forum Resident

Read Baio's douchey comments... and then watch the interview Cathy Silvers gave yesterday. Cathy and Erin remained friends throughout the decades and you can tell Cathy was crushed about it, barely being able to keep her composure together. I somehow will take Cathy's words more seriously than the guy who literally makes Kirk Cameron seem bearable.

9. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

10. Sam

Sam Senior Member

Sure, that story puts a nice "spin" on her life. Totally discounts what Ron Howard, Winkler and Ross stated as to them trying to help her over the years. Had to be a reason why so many tried to help other than the cancer.

11. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

She looked really pretty in that video thumbnail.

xilef regnu likes this.
  12. Bowieboy

Bowieboy Forum Resident

In Cathy's defense, she came to the show late into the run (she joined the season Howard left), Erin was already an adult by this time and they were the same age so she probably always saw her as a peer as opposed to the three you mentioned who all had years on her and probably were trying to mentor her instead of seeing her as an equal. I believe Cathy is sincere in her comments because I have her as a FB friend and she's posted updates and stories about Erin for a long time, I believe the friendship was genuine and she feels like she lost a sister, because she always posted stories about Happy Days and photos of her getting to visit Erin, etc...

zebop, lightbulb and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  13. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I think the second part depends on the person. I made the concious choice to stop doing what I was doing. And I did many things that many would stay into for a lifetime. There is a an element of choice. One can go to psychologists/psychiatrists all they want, and still choose to do what they do. Ultimately, even if it is a daily battle, it is a choice.

I also believe that mental illness is catagorizied too much. There are people everyday that are diagnosed with mental illnesses they simply dont have. And the opposite can be said. And as much as Id like to say "My hands are tied. I suffer from chronic depression. Im sick." I still have to get up and go to work. I still have to interact with society. I still have to get out of this bed. Is it easy? Hell no. Its hard. Very hard at times. But I *make* that choice. I think suicidal thoughts weekly. Many others who are afraid or embarrased to admit it do also. But again, I and they make the choice ultimately to live. Does counseling help some more than others? Sure. Can meds help in an acute situation? Sure. No doubt. But ultimately I am an individual that must decide and make choices. No one can do that for me.

Does what I just typed apply to everyone? Yes and no. The depth of why a person is the way they are can vary. And, yes, folks many time need help. Then there are those such as myself who are very functional. And dont need to be told "You have a mental illness, you have no choice in the matter". Yes, I do have a choice. And I worked hard for that choice.

My sister nearly died from throat cancer. She has lived a hard hard life. One filled with stress, drugs, drinking and every manner of negative behavior. She refuses to this day, even after prison time, to change. Or get help to change. Im sorry but that is her choice to a great degree. And that lifestyle most likely caused her cancer. Do I feel for my sister? Certainly. I love my sister. But I cannot make her choose what is positive.

I choose daily to either do the things that can bring peace or choose the easier route and be continually stressed. That will eventually lead to heart disease or whatever. I know those times at work or outside of work when Im completely stressed and the world spins off its axis. I also know the skills Ive been taught, the disciplines that I chose to try and learn and the techniques to stop it. No one can do that for me. These are choices.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  14. bluenote

bluenote Forum Resident

Man, tons of speculation in this thread. People are just piecing together what other tv stars are saying in the media.

No one here knows this woman. No one knows the extent of her mental state, drugs, alcohol, family, health, etc.

People need to stop being arm chair physciatrists for someone they've never met.

I hope she rests in peace. She was a great actress.

15. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

True to form, I guess... :rolleyes:

16. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

People react to loss differently. Im sure Scott cared and cares for Erin very much. It is difficult to see a person you care about go down paths that you try and help them with, only to no avail. He probably has sadness mixed with anger. Its correct to say that his comments werent probably the most sympathetic sounding. Then again, which one of us spent time trying to help Erin? We werent in her shoes nor are we in his.

17. balzac

balzac Senior Member

The thing is though, I'm sure many of us in our lives have seen someone die and had some level of anger over the situation, in terms of how they could have avoided it, etc. But most people are also adults; they're mature enough to not either A) Point out a painful obvious fact or B) Point out a painful supposition/assumption based on limited information.

Even if someone was found with a bottle of pills in their mouth and ten needles in their arm and left everyone a note saying to "F-off, I hate all of you", even then I think it would make more sense to simply either say *nothing* when asked, or offer condolences and nothing more. There's plenty of time afterwards in the appropriate forums (books, interviews, etc.) where one could then get into all of that.

Baio's personality type actually *does* remind me of Mike Love, who will bring up how all of the Wilsons in the band did drugs even if you don't bring it up. You can ask Love what his favorite Beach Boys song or what is favorite pizza topping is, and by the end of the answer he'll be talking about how he *didn't* do drugs and Brian Wilson did.

18. balzac, whether you believe it or not we are out here. I have been a non-drinker my entire life. I grew up in an alcoholic family with pretty much everyone except me falling to the addiction in some manner or another. For some odd reason I decided to simply never test those waters. I am not afraid of alcohol nor do I think anyone who drinks has a problem.
    Having grown up with it I will say I can spot an alcoholic from 100 yards in two seconds.
    I have dealt with many mindsets and yours is a common one. Some just believe there is no way I have never been drunk and I am lying about not drinking.
    In my life I have "touched" alcohol. I remember fondly fetching a beer every once in a while for my Dad. I would run to the fridge, get the can, and be able to open it which I thought was fun. Then I would ask if I could have a sip and if the answer was yes it was a good day...and a sip I took. My Dad was the slightest of alcoholics in my family with Mom being the heavy drinker.
    I have sipped communion wine. I have tasted many different drinks over the years and find none of them enjoyable. I had one beer as a high school kid while playing pool at a friends house that I did not finish because I did not like the taste. I have taken approximately 1/4 of a shot of Irish whisky as a ceremonial gesture. This was done between myself and two other men whom I attained the level of Black Belt with. All totaled I would guess my lifetime consumption is less than 16fl/oz of alcohol of any kind in 50 years.

With that in mind I can say I don't drink alcohol and never have with a clear conscience.

I have had people not trust me because I will not "have a drink" with them. I am happy to share in your toast or ceremony as long as you are okay with my glass being filled with something other than alcohol. Some don't see it that way.
    I have had people treat me very poorly due to my choice to not drink. Some to the point of wanting to fist fight for being disrespectful.
    I have also had people fawn over my choice pretending to be "so proud of my choice" while others have a never ending desire to get me to try this or taste that...Just shut up about it, enjoy your drink while I enjoy mine. It is no big deal.

From a non-drinking guy who has spent a lifetime surrounded by both sides of its effects I say choose what you want concerning those of use who don't drink.
    Some of us have no agenda or ulterior motive. We simply choose to not drink alcohol.

Now, when the stupid party choices are being made I am often right there but I get NO excuse for the choice as I did have a clear head at the time.
    For instance, standing in a metal saucer sled while being pulled like a water skier down the road behind a Kawasaki Ninja motorcycle in the dark.
    I melted my shoes and threw sparks like crazy...and it was fun too! My buddies were all drunk so they had a plausible out...me, not so much.

19. balzac

balzac Senior Member

Again, as I mentioned above, I'm not incredulous as to the fact that plenty of people abstain from alcohol. I don't drink myself. I've taken some sips. It does nothing for me. So I understand how some folks, for nothing other than personal preference reasons (e.g. not moral/ethical/religious reasons) could not drink. It's pretty rare (I've turned down drinks and received the most puzzled looks ever), but it is a real thing.

I'm just not convinced when people lump "drugs and alcohol" together, as in "that person abused them, and I don't", they always mean they have never had a drop of alcohol in their life.

And yes, generally speaking, I'm skeptical of someone who worked in the entertainment industry for years having never had *one drop* of alcohol. But I dunno, I just found an article where Baio (in the midst of a dumb political story that I of course won't raise here) referenced that he has *never* had a cup of coffee. So maybe he literally drinks water and nothing else.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  20. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

Mike Love is not the example of a person who is oblivious to his own failings over the course of his life. He is candid about what he views are his own missteps in his biography. Love also described how he experimented with and habitually used drugs during parts of his own life.

21. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

It's one thing to know that smoking and drinking to excess is extremely harmful and not do anything about it for the sake of the party lifestyle. It's another thing to ignore the risks and pretend that they don't exist. Alcoholics and drug abusers affect other people through their addiction in negative ways. It isn't fair for Erin to pretend that her lifestyle doesn't affect other people who genuinely care about her, if that's the way she handled communications with her friends and co-workers who care about her. Good for Baio for acknowledging that an addict hurts people who care about the addict, even if some people only acknowledge that the person is hurting herself. Good for Baio to also tell people not to ignore the risks of alcohol abuse.

cleandan and Pastle like this.
  22. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

23. balzac

balzac Senior Member

Don't want to derail the thread; but I disagree. Love, in interviews, has a serious problem owning up, *at the behest and prompting of someone else asking him specific questions* of admitting much of any faults. In one interview, he was asked if he had any regrets, and he said he regretted the Wilsons doing drugs. Clearly the question was regarding regrets pertaining to *himself.* There was a great Rolling Stone piece from last year with Love that delved into a lot of this. Yes, on his own terms and only on the subjects he wanted to, he admitted failings in his book.

But, to bring it back to comparing to Baio, I think both Baio and Love appear to have a penchant for feeling high and mighty about their "clean" lifestyle, and even when not prompted, will criticize someone else for their *well-known* failings. Now, in the case of Love, it's even more heinous because he'll bring up Brian Wilson's *decades-old" drug abuse even after years of Brian's clean living and *countless* interviews where Brian admits to his drug use and instructs people not to do drugs.

Much like Love talking about the *now deceased* Dennis and Carl Wilson, it's also convenient for Baio to talk about someone who isn't here to respond. Dennis and Carl Wilson were also largely not in denial about their drug and alcohol problems. Carl kicked it pretty much, Dennis didn't. They both paid the price. And if we subscribe to Baio's connection of drugs and alcohol to Moran's problems, she also paid the ultimate price.

NaturalD likes this.
  24. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

From what we know now, her death was caused by an extremely aggressive form of throat cancer. Aside possibly from cigarette smoking, her lifestyle choices and addiction issues apparently had nothing to do with her death. So no, her death couldn't have been prevented by someone being "more forward." Given the very fast-moving and virulent nature of the cancer she had (she was diagnosed less than six months ago) it seems likely there was a strong genetic component here, and she may have been screwed even if she'd never touched a cigarette.

It certainly can be frustrating if an acquaintance has personal problems and refuses help. But that doesn't justify insensitivity or callousness. Even if Moran had died of an overdose, Baio's comments would be rude and distasteful. I wonder if he gave any thought to how her friends and family might feel about him harshly blaming her for her own death before she was even in the ground? His subsequent comments (casting himself as a victim and suggesting people are criticizing him because of his politics) put him in an even more pathetic light.

Lost In The Flood and GodShifter like this.
  25. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

According to her husband they found out about the cancer on Thanksgiving. There was blood on her pillow. It was an aggressive skin cancer that spread to her spleen. She passed holding her husbands hand(wanna cry).
    Baio said stupid stuff because she never let him know. His wife spoke to her several weeks ago and she said nothing. Her closest friend was Cathy Silvers(Jenny Piccolo), who was in touch with her up til the end(they texted since she was unable to speak).

Remembering ‘Happy Days’ Star Erin Moran – The Insider

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.