New Roger Waters album "Is This The Life We Really Want?" - June 2, 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AlanDistro, Feb 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I'd add The Who.......certainly not part of the peace and love crowd.

2. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Roger is full of hate. Creatively that can be a good thing.

3. RockNRod

RockNRod Forum Resident

Has anyone deciphered the buried vocal bits after the 2:00 minute mark?

4. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

"Is This The Life We Really Want?"

It's the only life we have... enjoy it.
    2. It could be worse... it could be 'a lot' worse.
    3. 'Poor' old Roger doesn't like his life?? He's got it ALL.

"We don't need no education"... Really?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
    PDK, J_D__, Kalli and 1 other person like this.
  5. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

I would hazard a guess that this is the first time on a Roger Waters record that someone at some point said 'Play like you're Rick Wright' to the keyboard player. The electric piano is very Rick.

6. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Not me.

7. Cenobyte

Cenobyte Raving & Drooling

Ughh.
    1. I personally enjoy my life, as I'm sure you do... I'd say we're pretty lucky vs a vast percentage of the worlds population... which I believe he might be pointing out.
    2. Since the election of a rich egotistical celebrity and issues in Europe, things are looking pretty bad... these days there isn't a week that goes by where the stakes aren't being raised.
    3. I'm sure he also enjoys his life, but has always been a political/activist writer... I don't expect a happy collection of love songs, or tone poems, coming out of a Roger Waters album.

As for the "no education" thing...
    "We Don't Need No Education" - Ironic Or Not?

:)

8. The_Windmill

The_Windmill Forum Resident

Err... what?

Sandinista, Billy Infinity and Zeki like this.
  9. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

This can't be a Roger Waters album!
    There are no songs in multiple parts!
    ;-)

10. I thought the first released track was quite o.k.

I am hoping for a few more previews before release day, but I am already somewhat interested in it. Might decide to buy it on vinyl.

11. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

Uhhh...think about that one for just a minute.

12. Cenobyte

Pretty sure I did think about it, and wrote it as a response to the original post, what did you want me to think about exactly? What are you talking about man?!? lol

mastaflatch likes this.
  13. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

About as exciting as anything off Rattle that lock. Which is to say, as much a I LOVE Floyd, this is just re hashed tired sounding stuff. Same goes for most performers that are well and truly past their creative peak. That peak is a very real thing and exists for everyone.

Felix Atagong and The Trinity like this.
  14. mastaflatch

mastaflatch God's Only Nose

At this point (since The Final Cut for me), we can expect two or three great songs - i.e. on par with the best stuff they made together in the 70s - per album. If we get more, I consider it a huge bonus. Mind you, it's still not that bad. Here's what I think measures up to their best work post '83:

- About Face: Murder, Near the End
    - Pros & Cons: Running Shoes, Sexual Revolution, Go Fishing, Every Stranger's Eyes
    - When the Wind Blows: Towers Of Faith
    - Momentary Lapse: On the Turning Away, Yet Another Movie
    - KAOS: Who Needs Information, Home, Four Minutes, The Tide Is Turning
    - Amused To Death: What God Wants pt1, Perfect Sense, WGWpt3, It's A Miracle
    - Division Bell: Cluster One, Poles Apart, High Hopes
    - On An Island: On An Island, Smile
    - Endless River: Allons-y pt1-->Autumn '68-->Allons-y pt2, Talkin' Hawkin', Eyes To Pearls-->Surfacing-->Louder Than Words
    - Rattle That Lock: Faces Of Stone, In Any Tongue

Shaddam IV, RockNRod and Matthew Tate like this.
  15. RockNRod

RockNRod Forum Resident

Good choices! I would add Pocket Full Of Stones to On An Island which includes a nice restrained guitar solo to the end. And Amused To Death to Amused To Death which provides a nice conclusion to the album. This species has amused itself to death...

They Call Me M and mastaflatch like this.
  16. mastaflatch

mastaflatch God's Only Nose

Yeah, those are good as well! Amused To Death is a great song - I'm not fond of its bombast but as an album closer, especially with the conclusion from Alf Razzell, it's quite poignant. The whole album is one of my all-times favorite.

17. RedRaider99

RedRaider99 Forum Resident

Well, "Smell The Roses" has a classic Animals/WYWH sound to it, almost sounds like the good old days... until the near-death Roger vocals come in.

PDK likes this.
  18. BrianL77

BrianL77 New Member

I'd have to add Sorrow to this list.

19. RockNRod

RockNRod Forum Resident

Kind of agree. I think there was a live version where they had technical problems near the end of the song and Gilmour made some funny comment about "thank god that's over". I don't think he was serious but just that he wanted to get on with things.

20. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

Did anyone here see the whole TimesTalks with Roger? I saw a bit of it for breakfast. Interesting that he admitted that it was Nigel Godrich that had the control/vision for compiling/producing the album.

Cenobyte likes this.
  21. pinktree1

pinktree1 Forum Resident

22. Cenobyte

The old adage that you get grumpier as you age doesn't seem to apply to Roger Waters, and I really dig that about him... the last 15 years or so have been fun to watch as a fan, he's still got some fire but he's much more open minded and relaxed about pretty much everything related to music and his past... which is awesome ;)

23. Dog Ear

Dog Ear The 2nd Protects The 1st

Apart from his lobbying on behalf of George Soros, Waters continues to be an interesting, thoughtful, and entertaining man.

Runicen, Simon A and PDK like this.
  24. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

The ending with Alf Razzell gives me goosebumps every time I hear it. Beautiful.

25. Wyoming

Wyoming Well-Known Member

Agree with all of this. I'd ad the intro to The Endless River, too, and "Late Home Tonight".

I'd choose Cluster One, Poles Apart, and high Hopes as the best songs, post-The Wall by any Floyd members. There's something about that Rick Wright/Gilmour combo. It's just so, so good. I;m hoping roger can match one of those tunes with Nigel's help. I think he will, I think we're in for a treat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.