Grateful Dead Dave's Picks 2017 Subscription Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tededfred, Nov 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Basically what you're saying is that the business model, which works for them and works for people with a modicum or organisational skill and the necessary resources to stump up a reasonable amount of cash semi-regularly, stinks because you don't like it. I think it's pretty obvious that the business model is thriving, from the perspective of, you know, the business owners - they have a steady stream of high-quality product.

Is it a bit tough that out of print issues are hard to get and expensive? Sure but that applies to anything desirable that's no longer in print. It's just a symptom of not being alive or aware of the existence of the product at the right time. Does it stink that I have to pay thousands of dollars to get an original Please Please Me stereo LP when if I had been around in 1963, I could have bought one for a few pounds? No. It's just life.

2. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

Nonsense. I didn't say anything of the kind.

I reject your rebuke. There is a perfectly reasonable rebuttal, but I'm not getting into it again. We agreed to move on.

3. zephyr25

zephyr25 Forum Resident

^^^^^ bad vibes man!! Chill out; what's past is gone, deal with it.✌️

Dahabenzapple and Matthew Tate like this.
  4. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Did we? So I'm not allowed to respond to you saying the way the Dead organisation works as stinking? If you don't want criticism, don't be so critical to begin with. Nothing is perfect but it's easy enough to access all of the Dead official releases, if you pay attention to what's on the official website and, as archtop suggested, sign up to the emails.

Msebb and budwhite like this.
  5. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

I have no sympathy for people who endlessly complain about how "unfair" it is that they missed out on buying a product. Like they are somehow entitled to own everything, but purchased at their convenience, and priced at their liking. This is ridiculous. If you want something bad enough, pay attention to when it goes on sale, or pay the secondary market prices. Why do you think any one company should bend it's entire marketing plan just for you? It's the same stupid complaint with RSD.

Even I'm just a casual CD fan, and without being on any mailing list and just following this forum, I've had the chance to buy the last several boxes sets that sold out quickly (which I didn't, only being a casual fan), but if I can pay attention to these announcements, why can't you?

Six Bachelors, Turmatic and budwhite like this.
  6. track11

track11 Forum Resident

Besides the avenues already posted, MANY releases are available in digital means. Via the streaming services (for $10/month) you can have 320mp3 quality access to ALL the Road Trips, ALL the Dick's Picks, ALL the Euro 72 shows, and many, many other releases. Not sure if Tidal streams those in FLAC?

If it is physical you want, head over to livedownloads.com, buy Dick's Picks, Download series, etc etc releases in FLAC, burn to CD, and you have the same quality release as anyone else.

I am in the same position (new to the Dead and missed those crucial opportunities), but I definitely do not find myself lacking for material, even if the above do not grant me access to Dave's picks, 30 trips set, May 1977, etc.

Six Bachelors and Tom B like this.
  7. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

And then there's hundreds of SDBs available for free that sounds as good as the official releases.

That's unheard of for any other fans of a major band.

8. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

Not being able to download is very unusual in this day and age.
    Remedying that would be a priority.

footlooseman and budwhite like this.
  9. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Yeah... complaining about Grateful Dead availability completely blows my mind. Some of these SDB sound BETTER than the official releases. They are speed corrected, matrixed, accurately sourced. It's nuts. If you want the music... which is what this should be about... you don't have to buy a thing. Obviously we do... but I really consider that icing on the cake. And if you are new... just go to bt.etree.org ... search for Miller SBD's, Hunter Matrixes, or any number of other high quality products... and you will have YEARS of listening.

Or hell... just look for all the FREE Phil Lesh boards that he has released over the years. It goes on and on...

budwhite likes this.
  10. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I have to say... this is one of the very first times I've ever heard this sentiment expressed. Guess that's what its about... different viewpoints. I guess.

Six Bachelors likes this.
  11. Phoenician

Phoenician Resident Forum

It looks like there has been a 1974 WOS release in every year of Dave's Picks except 2013. I wonder if we'll get one this year.

12. Kate_C.

Kate_C. abyssus abyssum invocat

Phonenicia - I'm game for whatever kozmic persuasion is required to officially unleash 6/23, aka "Curse of the Bermuda Triangle": supplication, sycophantry, or clicking the heels of my best red pumps while uttering "jai-alai, jai-alai, jai-alai...."

13. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I really wish I could have heard what the WOS was like in person. Always been one of those pipedreams...

14. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

Those are all very fair points. No one is entitled to anything. Just like my Pops said: "If you don't work, you don't eat."
    Not to mention, as we all well know, there are thousand and thousands of hours of GD music avail free to stream/dwld. Of course, you get the craftmanship you pay for.....

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  15. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

My take is that the business model clearly works these days, and that it's a necessity for the releases to keep coming. However, I don't understand why they made the Fillmore '69 box limited back in 2005. I'm sure they could have more money on that as a catalog release back then.

jay.dee and rufus t firefly like this.
  16. mgb70

mgb70 Senior Member

I'm REALLY hoping for Portland Memorial Coliseum 5/19/74:

Mississippi Half-Step
    Mexicali Blues
    Big Railroad Blues
    Black-Throated Wind
    Scarlet Begonias
    Beat it on Down the Line
    Tennessee Jed
    Me and Bobby McGee
    Sugaree
    Jack Straw
    It Must Have Been the Roses
    El Paso
    Loose Lucy
    Money Money
    China Cat Sunflower
    I Know You Rider

Promised Land
    Bertha
    Greatest Story Ever Told
    Ship of Fools
    WRS Prelude
    WRS Part 1
    Let it Grow
    Wharf Rat
    Big River
    Peggy-O
    Truckin'
    Heaven Help Jam
    Not Fade Away
    Goin' Down the Road Feelin' Bad
    One More Saturday Night

U.S. Blues

17. rufus t firefly

rufus t firefly Forum Resident

This is the one release I really hope they re-issue.

18. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

or better......what I already had sounded better than about 5 or 6 shows from the big 65-95 anniversary box

Crispy Rob likes this.
  19. Phoenician

Phoenician Resident Forum

Considering it was priced at $80 and the first GD box set of its kind, I can see why it sold out quickly. Such a steal.

footlooseman likes this.
  20. rufus t firefly

rufus t firefly Forum Resident

This one got by me and haunts me to this very day. I know that sounds dramatic. Just still can't believe I wasn't "on it".

footlooseman likes this.
  21. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

it didn't go as fast as they go these days. That one was available for a couple weeks if memory serves. It was always a holy grail for me and for a lot of folks, especially those who never imagined they would ever do an entire Europe 72 box because the scope was kind of unimaginable at that time.

rufus t firefly and Crispy Rob like this.
  22. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I think that is the best candidate for a “remastered” [Edit: or "remixed/remastered" release]; maybe a 50th Anniversary edition. Norman noted when talking about Plangent around the time he first used it for Cow Palace NYE ’76. “And I wish I’d known about it when I did the Fillmore West, because as much as I like that Fillmore West box set, it would’ve sounded even better.” I think that plus the other advantages of mixing/mastering hindsight he has accrued over the years would payoff nicely for those who missed out and perhaps even those who have it.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  23. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

I'd re-buy this set if they re-mastered and Plangent'ed it. (Yes, I had the foresight to buy it as a broke grad student back in the day.)

24. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I edited my post because of forgetting the remix aspect. Hmm, a 5.1 option as well maybe?

25. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

That's the dream....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.