New Paul McCartney album "Egypt Station" coming September 7, 2018*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by etcetera, Feb 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

My favourite period is 1962-now. ;)

2. BeatleStair

BeatleStair Senior Member

Me too. Bingo!

PhoffiFozz, JDeanB, jl151080 and 2 others like this.
  3. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

It wouldn't be strange at all for McCartney not to play Hey Jude etc. Especially if he announced he was doing a different type show!

Zeki likes this.
  4. susyredstripe

susyredstripe Forum Resident

But there are many many Beatle fans that don't actually follow him or his music. They came to the show to see a Beatle perform Beatles songs. They don't even know who sang which songs & it doesn't matter to them. Me? I wish he'd do more from the last few decades.

Elliottmarx likes this.
  5. Mazda

Mazda The mystic one

Of course, if he announced he would do a different type of show it wouldnt be strange at all... but in the arena/stadium tours he's doing since the 2000's you already expect these songs. That was what I meant. I didn't imply he can't do new things.

PhoffiFozz and Mr. Explorer like this.
  6. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Then someone should wake those people up and let them know that it's a Paul McCartney concert and not a Beatles tribute!

Brendan K likes this.
  7. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

"sorry kids, old man Paulie is only playing his 80's songs tonight. But if you are really jonesing to see him do a Beatles number, well, you're still in luck. He'll be closing the show with Let It Be, solo on piano, with a non-functioning vocal mic, just like Live Aid."

8. Frank

Frank Senior Member

The core audience should definitely be people who don't follow things and don't pay attention.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  9. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

McCartney is one of those musical artists who could conceivably drop dead onstage or in the recording studio. As big a pothead as the guy was (is?:p) the adulation of an audience has always been Paul McCartney's numero uno drug of choice.
    Pretty sure I've said this before: one o' these tours McCartney should do something like the Stones did on the Licks tour: stadium shows chock full of the hits and warhorses (akin to the kind of setlists McCartney already plays, really); arena shows with a nice, balanced cross section of hits and deeper cuts, and theatre shows where the setlist pretty much goes out the window and Paul could play whatever the hell he feels like. And they should be advertised as such. All three types of shows would sell out in a heartbeat. Over the course of the Licks tour using that kind of a setup the Stones managed to play some eighty plus different songs- certainly McCartney could match that given the size of his (and The Beatles') catalogue. That kind of tour would probably be the only way McCartney would be able to please all of his fans. Maybe:laugh:

10. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

I guess the core audience is those who pay lot s of money for tickets and therefore fill up the arenas that keeps the moneymaking rollin. That s the way the world and market works.

11. lazydynamite

lazydynamite Forum Resident

I do not think he tours for the adulation and buzz.Although he obviously enjoys it.I believe he tours because he makes the kind of money from touring that he could only dream of in his prime.
    Flip side of that is that making new albums makes a fraction of what it used to do [e.g commercial record deals] therefore he has concentrated on live shows these past 15 years.
    I also believe the Beatles standard set lists are a no-brainer.For a start it is what the majority of fans and ALL promoters want.Secondly they disguise his aging and thin vocals with crowd sing-back factor alone.

12. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

I don't buy it!

He's Paul McCartney rock royalty, he could do whatever he wants!

He doesn't even need promoters, he could pay for any place he would want to perform or even build his own, like he did in Liverpool!

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  13. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Just a guess here, but I would say the Beatles made a fair amount of money.

14. lazydynamite

lazydynamite Forum Resident

I know [liverpool] I was there..it was incredible.......and yes he 'could' do whatever he wants you are correct....He likes the money,who wouldn't?.He likes the stability of his touring band....no issues,no hassle. just well paid musicians on a contract.It is a formula he always wanted but never quite perfected for long enough.

15. Ringo Hendrix

Ringo Hendrix Resident Pest

Paul's representative told me that it doesn't look like Paul can do an interview given his current schedule but that if anything changes he would tell me... there's still a very very very tiny chance!!! :)

Mr. Explorer, theMess, Yorick and 4 others like this.
  16. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Well, you at least got a response back. Your request didn't just drop into a black hole. So you never know.

17. Ringo Hendrix

True... I was SO happy that it was notable enough for him to consider it and if I'd caught him earlier, it was clearly notable enough for him to make it happen.

I AM however, possibly going to meet a guy who recently bought 2 of his guitars on Thursday and he might be able to do something about it as well.

I'm gonna try to interview him for the video I'm making.

theMess, Elliottmarx and supermd like this.
  18. Ringo Hendrix

I GOT TO HOLD A GUITAR ONCE HELD BY PAUL MCCARTNEY

Twitter

19. Wild Ram Speedway

Wild Ram Speedway Forum Resident

Well, Paul announced new concerts in July, September and October. Nothing in May & June, probably because he will be busy with Sgt Pepper's anniversary celebration. So can we hope to see a new album this year?:cry:

P.S. No new songs were played yesterday in Budokan.

Mr. Explorer and JDeanB like this.
  20. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

It's not looking good, August seems to be his biggest gap in dates, so we can hope for then.

Wild Ram Speedway likes this.
  21. MsMaclen

MsMaclen Forum Resident

I actually took it as a positive sign. He's hitting some catch-up places in the summer, and then the dates in the fall seem well-timed to coincide with a September release, like with Chaos in 2005.

22. paulmccartneyistheman

I really hope that's the case

23. Mazda

Mazda The mystic one

Sounds about right. Releasing on September, with a deluxe edition out just in time for Christmas!

24. Ringo Hendrix

Yes please.

theMess and Mazda like this.
  25. paulmccartneyistheman

In Paul McCartney's Japanese Q&A, when asked about the new album, he only mentions Greg Kurstin and how it's mainly being recorded in Henson Studios. Maybe we're getting the one producer approach this round

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.