Mark Lanegan Band to release new album ‘Gargoyle’ on April 28, 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pghmusiclover, Feb 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BCJaysfan

BCJaysfan Forum Resident

Looking forward to this, picked up the sub pop box at xmas and it's great.

Does anyone have insight on which Bubblegum is best? The MOV or the 2012 Beggars Banquet?

2. spintheblack72

spintheblack72 Forum Resident

Yeah I liked it must give it a spin again soon. Have a soft spot for Bubblegum as it was my entry level album but Field Songs is a corker.
    It's great to have all the sub pop albums on the box set.

Would love to see a reissue of this though, Mark Lanegan Band - Here Comes That Weird Chill (Methamphetamine Blues, Extras & Oddities)

Grow Fins and Chrome_Head like this.
  3. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

I've been following Lanegan's solo career for awhile, probably over 15 years now. I'm constantly impressed how he manages to put new intriguing slants on his style. Looking forward to Gargoyle.

I thought Blues Funeral was an excellent record. Got to catch him on that tour.

Here Comes That Weird Chill is a fantastic EP--particularly the Beefheart cover song and the track "Message To Mine". I remember when that first came out, it was the start of a great resurgence for his solo work, a fantastic shot in the arm.

crozcat likes this.
  4. spintheblack72

I believe Josh & Nick are on the line up on the EP?

Yeah my Wife and I caught him on the Blues Funeral tour, seen him a number times here in the UK, with the Soulsavers supporting Depeche Mode, small acoustic tour, very intimate and superb, then with Isobel Campbell at the Barbican in 2010.

Blues Funeral was the last time we saw him , had tickets to see him on the Phantom Radio tour but my Wife got some bad news and just wasn't in the place to go to a gig.

Hoping to catch him again soon, wasn't bowled over by Phantom Radio, thought Black Pudding was better, really looking forward to Gargoyle.

Grow Fins likes this.
  5. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

I wouldn't worry too much. I placed an order the same day as you (right after I saw the post about the red edition) and didn't get a specific email but I believe they may have only sent those to people who had already pre-ordered.
    The fact that it's listed as "out of stock" for the last few days indicates that we probably got there on time.

Grow Fins likes this.
  6. Chrome_Head

I know Josh Homme was all over the EP, not sure about Nick O, but he probably was too. Would've been right around the time Lanegan started to appear on QOTSA's records.

7. Grow Fins

Grow Fins ...and leave you laaaaand-lubbing women alone

That's what I thought and I hope we are right! New album will be worth getting anyway, but the red version would be the cherry on the cake.

With regard to ...Weird Chill, that's another one of my favorite dates by Mark. I love Message to Mine and Clear Spot, to name just a few. That EP got me really fired up about his new sound, and I certainly would welcome a reissue. By the way, Discogs credits both Josh Homme and Nick Oliveri: Mark Lanegan Band - Here Comes That Weird Chill (Methamphetamine Blues, Extras & Oddities)

Thaks for your comments on Houston, guys! I really should get it then. My understanding is that the album was pretty much finished when Mark decided to shelve it in order to pursue the sound that's reflected on Bubblegum, which sounds plausible from what you describe. The cuts that were on Has God Seen My Shadow were great, so there's really no reason (other than having to explain yet another parcel at home) to dither any longer I suppose.

I hope the tour brings Mark near Antwerp again - I saw him play Trix in Antwerp with his Belgian backing band (all great musicians hand-picked by Aldo Struyf) and it was one of his best performances that I've witnessed. I'd love to hear more of that. I found him less impressive on the Phantom Radio tour when he played in Brueges - although that did have the perk of a guest-in from Greg Dulli, who guested for some Gutter Twins songs. Afghan Whigs were the more impressive band by far on that date, however.

FourWalledWorld likes this.
  8. FourWalledWorld

9. Nice Marmot

Nice Marmot Nothin’ feels right but doin’ wrong anymore

I missed this thread. I was going to start one but found it instead. I've been giving Mark Lanegan a nice listening run lately and figured he's due to have a new release.

And, here it is. Sweet!

Grow Fins likes this.
  10. MRT

MRT Forum Resident

just found out about this upcoming release. very excited.

yikes @ the pre-order price on the CD though!

Grow Fins likes this.
  11. Chrome_Head

They're also making a book of his lyrics and writings out in July from Da Capo press, called I Am The Wolf. I found that interesting. Lanegan has become an elder statesman of sorts.

MRT and Grow Fins like this.
  12. MRT

MRT Forum Resident

yeah i saw that as well. interesting.

13. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member Thread Starter

14. Vern

Vern Forum Resident

Dang. New single is a stunner. Mr. Lanegan still got it.

15. Overfloater8

Overfloater8 Forum Resident

If you like Bubblegum make sure you pick up the Here Comes that Weird Chill EP. It's from the same sessions and is arguably better. Homme, Oliveri, Goss, Johannes and Bret Netson are all over that record. It's worth the hunt!

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    Tropehjelm, Grow Fins and crozcat like this.
  16. Grow Fins

Release date is fast approaching now! I wonder if my pre-order will indeed materialize as a red vinyl version - I'm a bit anxious it will just be the regular black, which is fine in itself, but would also be available in the stores over here minus the postage cost.

Of the two singles, it's Nocture I prefer so far - it's got that dark atmosphere that works so well with Mark's voice. Curious about the rest of the album!

17. Tropehjelm

Tropehjelm Forum Resident

Thank you. I will order it right now, I found one on Discogs for 49 Euros.

Overfloater8 and Grow Fins like this.
  18. spintheblack72

Really liked Nocturne but Beehive is a monster, Lanegan still producing quality.

Looking so forward to Gargoyle, got my ltd vinyl pre ordered months ago.

Would love to see Soul Savers do a tour with him and Gahan and maybe Mark hook up back with them for another long player in the future.

He's not resting on his laurels and while some of his input in the last 6 years hasn't always been sterling (Imitations) his strike rate is pretty damn good.

Gargolye could be his best album since Bubblegum.

19. Vern

Vern Forum Resident

All leaked. Really good album. I'm hearing a lot of 80s post punk it it.

20. Mr Mojo

Mr Mojo Forum Resident

Damn, can't stop listening to "Emperor", what a different and terrific song...!

21. Grow Fins

Just got the notice that my copy has been shipped. No reference to it being the red version, so I imagine it's just the standard version. Shucks. Could have bought that minus the postage cost in my regular store...

I know the red vinyl was an afterthought by Heavenly, but it would have been nice to have some sort of indication of what we've been ordering, as the site still referred to the red version when I placed mine.

22. FourWalledWorld

I got the same dispatch email as you without any red reference but don't give up hope yet. I think we ordered ours around the same time and it was before they listed it as being "out of stock" (i.e. presumably before the red pressing was gone). Fingers crossed...

23. Grow Fins

I like your optimism and hope it is proved right, for both our sakes :)

FourWalledWorld likes this.
  24. Tropehjelm

Tropehjelm Forum Resident

I got the same message today,and i asked when i ordered it about the color,and someone at Heavenly Recordings told me i would get a red one

Grow Fins and FourWalledWorld like this.
  25. spintheblack72

Got my message today as well, was told sometime back as I was one of the first to order I would be getting the red version, although my message gives no indication of what colour vinyl I'm getting.

To be honest I'm not that really bothered about coloured vinyl, I'm buying to listen to so if it was standard black I'd be happy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.