Ripping Music CD's or DVD's

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bsmooth, Apr 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bsmooth

bsmooth Forum Resident Thread Starter

I used to do this all the time, but that was quite a few years ago. I would like to maintain the best quality possible. I tried a CD the other day, but it didn't burn the order the same as the playlist I had, and put it in order of artist alphabetically. I have DB Poweramp, EAC(which keeps shutting off while I'm using it and giving me an error), Audacity, and of course Windows Media Player.
    I would also like to make mixed Music DVD's once I get up and going. I was going to go the FLAC route, but my older Panasonic Blu-Ray player doesn't play them. I just want the best quality,so I can play them back on my home system.
    One other question, I've read the rips from Windows media player aren't as good as say DB powerAmp's, using a bit rate of 320, which I assume is the best lossy rate I can get.
    I swear I can hear a slight difference between a rip from Media player vs the same one on DB PowerAmp's.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

Don't rip lossy. Rip your CD's as WAV, AIFF, or FLAC level 8. You don't want to throw away quality right at the beginning. You can always transcode your files to a lower bitrate later.

Why music DVD's? The highest quality on DVD-Audio is 16/48. Your CD's are 16/44. You won't hear the difference, and upsampling accomplishes nothing. Just burn CD-R's and play them on anything. Again, if you start with a universal uncompressed PCM format like AIFF, you won't have compatibility problems.

I tried DBPoweramp for Mac, and it is terrible. Maybe the Windows version is better, I dunno. I use XLD for Mac, a great piece of software.

3. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

dBPoweramp for Windows is excellent. Haven't used the Mac version, but I agree that XLD is a good Mac choice, and also agree that ripping to FLAC rather than a lossy format is a good plan. Even if the rips are in FLAC you should be able to burn compatible discs from them.

Grant likes this.
  4. bsmooth

So If I rip to FLAC then I don't lose any info. As far as DVD's I can burn some nice long mixes of music I can just throw on mt Blu-Ray player and sit down for uninterrupted listening sessions. But heres my issue, If I rip to FLAC I really have no way to listen to it on my home system,and If I burn to MP3 I'll probably lose something(lossy) in the process.
    I also still can't figure why my burns don't come out in the order I want either.
    Sounds like using DBPowerAmp is the way to go, at least I have somewhere to start !

5. Sevoflurane

What's your home system?

6. Cherrycherry

Cherrycherry Forum Resident

Seeing your other thread, are all your digital music files MP3?

You wrote "ripping" in your title of this thread. To rip the files from th disc is to take the digital files OFF of the CD.

I can see some confusion.

7. Cherrycherry

Nothing listed in the profile.

8. bsmooth

Yamaha RX757 surround receiver, older but great sound, Panasonic Blu-ray player Paradigm bookshelf Mini Monitors for fronts and surrounds and a Dayton downward firing 12", which I'm hoping to replace with an HSU someday.
    Just another thought, how about Itunes for ripping and burning, aren't they lossless as well ?

9. Sevoflurane

Spoon's Audio Guide

Above has much useful information regarding CD ripping from the dBPoweramp developer. iTunes can be used for CD ripping but only rips to a lossless format if so configured.

Cherrycherry likes this.
  10. wwaldmanfan

My experience with DBpoweramp for Mac was that it jumbled up all the metadata and sorting order as you describe, plus it is very non-intuitive, compared to other Mac software.
    I understand the DVD-A vs. CD-R running time issue, but, worst case, 80 min. for a CD-R is not too shabby.
    See if your ripping program has an option for AIFF. That is lossless and uncompressed, and works on virtually every Mac/PC/hardware player that I am aware of.
    ITunes can rip to lossless WAV or AIFF, but has no checksum verification, and tends to gloss over errors.

11. Cherrycherry

shaboo likes this.
  12. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

Your burning tracks in wrong order sounds like a metadata issue. You can resolve this by using Mp3tag (free), it'll sync with Amazon, Discogs or Musicbrainz to add artwork and track information, job done.

Grant likes this.
  13. Pastafarian

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
    Grant likes this.
  14. bsmooth

I'm going to try and use DBPowerAmp to rip a few CD's and see what the actually sound like once I put them on a CD.

15. Thoughtships

Thoughtships Forum Resident

The highest quality on a DVD-Video disc is not 48/16 as you say. It's 48/24.
    And on DVD-A discs it's 96/24.
    Just thought I'd say...

HanowarHAIL likes this.
  16. wwaldmanfan

Thanks. I stand corrected.
    The OP wants to burn DVD-A disks from ripped CD's, so he's not going to end up with more than 16/44.1 resolution.

Thoughtships likes this.
  17. norliss

norliss Forum Resident

It's true that DVD-Video discs don't support as high a resolution as DVD-A or Blu-Ray but there are scenarios when it's worthwhile extracting the audio from them. Firstly, they can contain content that's either exclusive to that release or difficult to get hold of elsewhere.

Also, although they usually contain lossy Dolby Digital/DTS tracks, they do often (for music content) contain 16/48 PCM tracks which are usually pretty dynamic and not compressed/ brickwalled like their CD counterparts. An example springs to mind: the stereo 16/48 PCM soundtrack for the Alice in Chains Unplugged DVD is really dynamic unlike the CD release which is far more compressed.

18. bsmooth

One of the first things I noticed is a difference in the ripped files between the ones I ripped on Windows media player and the newest ones I ripped using DBPowerAmp. Specifically I was ripping Elton John's Honky Chateau, which I have on Original Master Recording from Mobile Fidelity. Its a good recording, but its not as good as Cat Stevens Tea for the Tillerman.
    The voice sounds clearer on the rips using DBPowerAmp from Honky Chateau, and I was using a 320 Bitrate BTW.

19. jeffsab

jeffsab Forum Resident

DVD-Video will do 24/96.

Doug_B likes this.
  20. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Not quite. DVD-Video supports 96/24 (Stereo only). DVD-Audio supports 192/24.

Doug_B likes this.
  21. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I've used dbPoweramp for Mac extensively for ripping CDs and I've not had a single experience of metadata problems (they let you check it against multiple sources before you rip) and never an instance of songs being out of order. I've also used XLD, Max and of course iTunes on a Mac and find dbPoweramp to be no more difficult if not easier to use than others. I'm not saying this to challenge your experiences but to let others who may wish to consider it know that it is not the experience of all.

And one other point is the term lossless. Essentially WAV and AIFF are as said non-compressed so neither lossless nor Lossy. FLAC and ALAC (Apple Lossless) are both compressed audio codec without loss of information therefore lossless. AAC and MP3 etc are compressed audio codecs but do "lose" or discard information therefore Lossy.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  22. wwaldmanfan

Wh
    I did not use dbPoweramp for ripping CD's. I have no reason to use anything other than XLD for that.
    What happened to me is I bought the program with the intention of batch transcoding my entire AIFF library to FLAC, to fit on a smaller HDD. It sorted the tracks in numerical order by track number, not by album artist, and was slow, too boot, so I pulled the plug. Obviously, I did not have it set up correctly. My bad. However, I found the GUI to be crude and not user-friendly.
    I did the job with XLD in a few hours, instead, no problem.

23. Pastafarian

If you're using mp3, you can save space with no audible loss by using Variable Bit Rate -VO.

24. Thoughtships

Thoughtships Forum Resident

Ah yes, you're right. I was so carried away correcting someone else that I forgot to engage my own brain properly. I stand corrected. Oops. And thanks.

Pastafarian likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.