Audio Fidelity Reissuing "Blade Runner" Sndtrk On Vinyl LP and SACD*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by christopher, Mar 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Thanks.

2. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident

I'm not seeing this in the U.S. - is it Europe only? Any info on mastering? (it's not the same Kevin Gray mastering as the AF, is it?)

3. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

I think it was UK and Europe only. There don't seem to be any mastering details on the sleeves, only engineering.

4. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Probably just the standard CD pressed on vinyl.

5. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident

ah, so a pointless, cynical cash-grab, then.

6. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Listening to the Audio Fidelity SACD now, and while the sound is incredible, this is not the original soundtrack.
    What's going on here?

7. konoyaro

konoyaro Forum Resident

Is it possible you're comparing to the "Orchestral adaptation..." album that was available prior to the official Vangelis version that was finally released in 1994?

8. HiFi Guy 008

No. That one was awful.
    What's with the percussion?
    That wasn't in the movie.
    There was no percussion until the closing credits.

Am I listening to a boot?
    Just checked YouTube and it's the same as I'm hearing.
    What the heck?

This is not the music from the film:

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  9. SergioRZ

SergioRZ Well-Known Member

"Most of the music contained in this album originates from recordings I made in London in 1982, whilst working on the score for the film Blade Runner. Finding myself unable to release these recordings at the time; it is with great pleasure that I am able to do so now. Some of the pieces contained will be known to you from the Original Soundtrack of the film, whilst others are appearing here for the first time. Looking back at Ridley Scott's powerful and evocative pictures left me as stimulated as before, and made the recompiling of this music, today, an enjoyable experience." (VANGELIS Athens, April 1994)

10. HiFi Guy 008

Yeah, I've read that. Again, this is not the original soundtrack, which is wonderful.
    I just can't get into this downtempo chill version.
    Leaves me cold.

So if you want the original soundtrack, you get the 3 cd set from a few years ago?

11. SergioRZ

SergioRZ Well-Known Member

As far as I know, the Audio Fidelity release is the same and only original soundtrack that exists... do you have a faulty disc, maybe switched content?

12. HiFi Guy 008

I'm looking into it. This is crazy. I've seen the film dozens of times.
    Heck, I wrote a paper on it back in 1984, which was plagiarized, and helped an executive get his citizenship here.

13. Mark_TB

Mark_TB Forum Resident

Does it open with Deckard's dialogue as he analyzes Leon's photo, leading into the approach to Tyrell's headquarters music? That's the soundtrack album. Vangelis reworked some things, and added others. If you are looking for a straight-forward soundtrack album, this isn't it. It's essentially a new (in 1994) Vangelis album called Blade Runner using the soundtrack as a base.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
    nathan_h likes this.
  14. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

The AF disk has the exact same content as the first disk of that set, as best as I remember. I believe that the other two disk were later works which were inspired by blade runner.

Some argue that even this isn't authentic because it is incomplete, remixed, and is at least partially re-performed. But its still awesome IMO.

15. APH

APH Forum Resident

No, that 3cd version wasnt the original either.
    Both releases were seemingly prompted by excellent bootleg versions, the first on Off World records. Later, There was 2 cd boot expansion called the Esper edition Which then prompted a less good official 3 cd response. That boot is the only true original soundtrack.

From wikipedia
    Off World Music
    A second bootleg Original Motion Picture Soundtrack: Blade Runner appeared in 1993 by "Off World Music, Ltd." on CD, which was of high quality and actually more comprehensive than the official release by Vangelis in 1994.

I think both film and the soundtrack only exist in their current forms because of non official actions.
    for the film, The discovery and sold out showing of the Workprint, eventually forced the release of the Final Cut Film. Otherwise, we would still only have the voice over version of the film, as released in 82.
    For the soundtrack, The release of the bootleg soundtrack seemingly pushed Vangelis into finally releasing his own version, although with Tarantino inspired dialogue bits, and key other parts missing.

16. APH

APH Forum Resident

Theres someone complaining about surface noise on that one, on the Vinyl Factory RSD recommEndations page, though they confuse it with the Audio Fidelity version, my copy of which is perfect.

"The translucent red one was awful, unplayable, unbelievable surface noise. Took it back to HMV for refund"

Given they only sold a solid red at HMV, I presume he means that.

17. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

The 1994 Vangelis album and the 2nd Cd of the 3CD 'Trilogy' set may not be fair representations of the music as heard in the film but they are fantastic Blade Runner themed albums.

As a companion, I recommend tracking down The Esper Edition as @APH mentions: whilst I'd still love for an official release of the actual actual film soundtrack, the two official released Vangelis has released together with the Esper Edition scratches that itch until such a day ever arrives.

Hopefully the forthcoming sequel might prompt a rethink on all things Blade Runner related.

On a related note, does anyone know the story of why Vangelis 'found himself unable to release the recordings at the time'?

Neither Paul M Sammons book, the 5 disc 2007 Final Cut set or Vangelis himself have ever elaborated. I'd always assumed it was down to issues with Jerry Perenchio during the films post production and release. Neil Brand's recent BBC documentary on the Sound of Cinema had a brief interview snippet with Vangelis mainly around Chariots of Fire but did play a brief except of Blade Runner and Vangelis himself made a brief comment on the film: this is the most I've heard anyone connected with the film talk about the music!

APH likes this.
  18. The_Windmill

The_Windmill Forum Resident

There's NO "Original" soundtrack officially released out there, the way you mean it.
    The famous old bootleg had part of the soundtrack used in the movie, some others ripped music from the DVD and BD versions.
    Apart from the orchestral "cover", everything official is
    - 12 track official album, 94 and following represses/remasters, never changed
    - 2nd disk from the 2007 "Trilogy", extra music from the movie (disc 3 is new music)
    - An extended track on some anthology (can't remember which one now)
    And that's it.
    In all cases, Vangelis included both music used in the film and rejected (or even "inspired by"), remixed for record listening (as he usually does, because he thinks what works on the screen doesn't necessarily does it on record), edited, shortened sometimes.

So, long story short, the "music from the movie" is only on boots and not in its entirety.

19. APH

APH Forum Resident

I agree that the 94 and 3 disc are worth having as music in their own right, but the poster above seemed annoyed that the 94 was different, a chill out remix, or words to that effect. I personally enjoy both, but assumed if bought the 3 disc looking for the original soundtrack, he would be disappointed again.

On the question of why Vangelis refused to release the soundtrack, despite in being advertised in the end credits of the film - isn't the myth that Vangelis argued with Scott about how the music was used? I vaguely remember reading he didnt like how Scott had only used parts of the music, cut bits off, and so on. But that could well be info gleaned for fanzines etc, and so unreliable.

coffeetime likes this.
  20. The_Windmill

My best guess is copyright reasons. It happens with film music, when the licence is in the hands of the movie company and not of the artist or even his record company. The "unable to release the recordings at the time" bit sounds pretty much like that, to me.
    I find it very hard to believe that Vangelis would refrain from publishing an album out of personal friction. If nothing else, he can compile it with rejected bits and show the world they are awesome.

EDIT. Maybe he was given the only option of releasing the unaltered score, without reworking, and he passed on. I guess we'll never know.

coffeetime and APH like this.
  21. The_Windmill

I think Vangelis is pretty much done with the title.
    There won't be any rethinking, likely.

APH likes this.
  22. APH

APH Forum Resident

That makes perfect sense. Except for the mention of a soundtrack in the end titles crawl of the film. Copyright must have been in place to let Vangelis produce a soundtrack album, but it never happened. The release of the easy listening New American Orchestra version came quite soon after the film came out, both 1982, and looks to be a stopgap replacement. But why was it needed? Not saying I am right, but there does seem to be more to it?

The_Windmill likes this.
  23. The_Windmill

I did edit my reply while you were writing yours :)
    "maybe" creative disagreements?

24. APH

APH Forum Resident

No, I doubt we will know, but re your final comment, I would have guessed the film company and record label would have been flexible, or would have preferred anything to that New American version, when the deadline loomed. So it must have been something aerious, to cancel the soundtrack to what was imagined to be a big blockbuster hit movie, and schedule a Mantovani like version instead.

But then look at the problems with the enforced voiceover on the film. The production was clearly troubled in many areas.

The_Windmill likes this.
  25. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Scott is notorious for re-editing, replacing, changing ("butchering" some would say) the music composed for his films (see also Alien, Legend...).

APH and coffeetime like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.