Solo Beatles single by single thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Haristar, Jun 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

Which, I think, is why some people are so suspicious of him. Anyone who can just throw out songs in any given genre must just be doing it "parrot fashion" and not actually feeling it/believing it.. Apparently.

2. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth Thread Starter

The Bloody Beetroots ft. Paul McCartney and Youth - "Out of Sight" (2013)

[​IMG]
    Released: July 8, 2013
    Charts: DNC

Sir Bob Cornelius Rifo also collaborated with Paul McCartney on the single "Out of Sight" on Ultra Records. It was released in June 2013.

3. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

I know the feeling. People think that I steal my jokes from joke-books, instead of thinking them all up out of my own head... ;)

4. jgkojak

jgkojak Mull of Kansas

I wish Paul would do more of the Bloody Beetroots type stuff on his pop albums.

5. jgkojak

jgkojak Mull of Kansas

I always thought it was a decent song, probably as good as stuff from Goodnight Vienna that wasn't written by John... but unfortunate that it had to be named after Paul's band...
    awkward!

6. Frank

Frank Senior Member

It's really no problem. If you've seen McCartney in concert in the last 25 years, you know he's completely forgotten he was ever in Wings. :D

theMess likes this.
  7. jgkojak

jgkojak Mull of Kansas

LOL
    But I do think in the late 70s that probably DOA'd the song for radio programmers

8. Johnny Reb

Johnny Reb RĂ©sident du forum

Out Of Sight = :hurl:

I love Nothing Too Much Just Out Of Sight, but this is one of the most pathetic songs/mixes McCartney has released, and I like just about all of 'em. Can't stand it in any way, shape, or form. To make matters worse, there were a whole bunch of remixes!

Sorry for my rant! I think this is my least favorite McCartney song ever (if you count remixes).

9. Haristar

Paul McCartney - "New" (2013)

[​IMG]
    Released: September 2, 2013
    Charts: #18 (US Adult Contemporary), #21 (US Adult Alternative)

"New" is a song written by Paul McCartney. It was originally recorded by McCartney and produced by English musician Mark Ronson for McCartney's sixteenth studio album New, and appears as the sixth track on the album. After being released early on the iTunes Store as a track available to download from New on 28 August 2013, the song was released as a single on 2 September 2013 and available exclusively on Amazon.com. The single's premiere on 28 August was concurrent with the official reveal of New on the same day. The single gained heavy airplay on Japanese radio stations, where it became a number 4 hit on the Japan Hot 100.

The single joined BBC Radio 2's playlist and the album of the same name was their Record of the Week.

The song appears in both the opening and the end credits of the 2013 animated film Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2.[3]

"New" was greeted positively by critics and the musical press. As well as being selected as BBC Radio 2's Record of the Week[4][5]and placed on their A-list,[6] the track was greeted as the "Track of the Day" by Mojo which praised its "doe-eyed optimism, irresistible melody" and "orchestrated pop arrangements".[7] Rolling Stone's Will Hermes, praised its "bouncy harpsichord-laden melody", giving it a four-star rating and drawing comparisons to the Beatles' "Got to Get You into My Life",[8] a view shared by The Daily Telegraph which described it as a "jaunty, Beatles-esque stomp".[9]

theMess and LarsO like this.
  10. Haristar

Surely it's impossible not to like this song?

It's like Penny Lane, Good Day Sunshine and Got to Get You into My Life were all put in a blender and created a delicious strawberry milkshake.

11. PhilipB

PhilipB Forum Resident

Great song and have always loved how Early Days is followed by New on the album. A great contrast.

12. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

"New" is a great tune. It's nice to hear a McCartney single that sounds like a McCartney single and also sounds kind of fresh and... uh... new. I also really liked the graphic design of the word 'NEW' represented by parallel lines. It's almost as clever as the Paul McCartney logo from Chaos and Creation.

13. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

New is pleasant enough, I don't think it's great but pleasant!

I think it was a very weak first release, I Can Bet would have been much better as a first release!

That ten blast opening would've gotten immediate attention!

14. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

I LOVE this song, and the whole album itself. Easily my favorite Paul album and possibly my favorite Paul solo song.

15. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

"New" was a good single. I love the fake ending!

16. lavalamp3

lavalamp3 Forum Resident

New:

Was great to hear Paul revisit the stylisation of 'Penny Lane' again. It's the kind of thing he does so effortlessly and with such melodicism. It's 'Beatle Paul' at his most brilliantly Beatle-esque (There'd been many times down the years when I'd desperately yearned to find something as 'Beatle-like' on one of his latter day albums).

Found it a bit of a shame that by the time he got around to it the voice was no longer quite as youthful and assured as it once was in 1967 - perhaps the one factor that possibly prevents 'New' from taking its place in my own 'greatest McCartney pop classics' short-list (although last time I checked in the mirror, I wasn't quite as youthful and assured as I was in 1967 either, so I guess that's just too bad!)

Anyway, 'twas an excellent single.

Damn, we'll soon coming to the end of this thread :shake:

17. Haristar

Indeed, we're already at Paul's most recent album.

Get that next album out, Paul! :D

18. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

I loved "New" the first time I heard it and still do. The album overall isn't my favorite of his, though it's got some solid material, but the title song is the Paul of Hello Goodbye and Penny Lane, come back to us again. Had it been released in 1971 it would have been #1 for sure. I'll never understand the enthusiasm expressed above for "I Can Bet," which sounds like a Wings B-side.

lavalamp3 and Haristar like this.
  19. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

It's the song New that sounds like a b-side to me!

It's not a bad song, as I said it's pleasant enough, but I Can Bet is the McCartney that dominated the charts!

Also I absolutely love the lyrics of I Can Bet.

What I'm gonna do next, I'll leave entirely to your imagination!

Absolutely love it, excellent song!

vitorbastos123 likes this.
  20. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

I was worried about the album when I heard the single--New.
    Fortunately the first single turned out to be my least favorite track on a highly enjoyable album......and I could tolerate the song better within the album.

foxylady likes this.
  21. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

One of Paul's best singles in years IMO.
    With a generous helping of "Instant Karma" thrown in for good measure. Paul is channeling his "inner Lennon" on "New".
    "Early Days" and "New" are easily my favourites on the album.
    "New" sounds like The Beatles, or at least it's one of his most "Beatlesque" solo songs. Easy to see why "New" was a single, the lead off single from the album, no less.

lavalamp3, theMess and Haristar like this.
  22. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

My thoughts on New were expressed very well by lavalamp3 above. New is a really good song, one of Paul's best in years, but his voice is gone. It sounds like Paul is straining to sing, and I'm right there with him. It's very sad in a way - the man is still capable of writing great pop material, but his ability to perform has faded with age.

lavalamp3 likes this.
  23. Paul H

You know that's not true. He even dedicated Too Many People to Wings fans...

24. Paul H

Nah, nothing that a bit of auto tune can't fix. He's good for a few more years yet with that in his studio armory :)

paulmccartneyistheman likes this.
  25. Great song and terrific album!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.