Too small for a listening room?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Hogues, Sep 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

You may have been educated in Europe but it doesn't show, at all. How can you discourage a fellow audiophile this way, esp when what you're saying is just not true ! Any room can be made to work !:rolleyes:

2. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Don't worry; your room can be made to work just fien, albeit with certain limitations. Don't let post like @Mike 33 's discourage you. I understand you don't have any equipment so far ? If that's the case, let the polite and helpful, knowledgeable people on this forum guide you through the process.

enjoy and be happy man !:edthumbs:

3. Hogues

Hogues Forum Resident Thread Starter

I will, thanks for your input.

4. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

And my advice is to completely ignore this.

5. ruben lopez

ruben lopez Nunc Est Bibendum

The Pinhead, timind and Hogues like this.
  6. Hogues

7. ruben lopez

ruben lopez Nunc Est Bibendum

Good! keep us posted.

8. pdxway

pdxway Forum Resident

Depends on the type of music you like. If you listen loud and like lots of heavy bass, it would be very difficult.

Otherwise, anything not too bass heavy would work just fine once you play with the positioning of speakers and you listening position.

9. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Haha! I was going to get him but I knew you would do a better job:)

Kristofa and The Pinhead like this.
  10. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

I have posted pics here, had a little trouble and by trial and error got them up.. but have forgotten how
    Could someone please enlighten us to the exact sequence to load a photo please?

Hogues likes this.
  11. timind

timind phorum rezident

If you're going to do some serious research, here's another great site for room setup:
    DECWARE / Articles and Papers On Hi-Fi »
    You'll have to sort through them, but there are some excellent papers detailing how to get good sound in bad rooms. A tremendous help to me in my perfect square room.

Hogues likes this.
  12. timind

timind phorum rezident

13. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

My thought on this, near field is worth a try, and will be the most likely to sound good with the least effort. For a more conventional setup, go with a small stand speaker with a sub strategically located, avoid large speakers. Often the best speaker locations in small rooms is the asymmetrical setup, askew to one side of a corner. The room will sound better with bass traps. Keep speakers away from side walls, or add sound dampening on the side walls, such as drapery or sound deadening type of decorative art. Bass and "boomy bass" will be the greatest challenge. If all else fails, try different gear.

The Pinhead likes this.
  14. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

It's serviceable for the purpose at hand.

15. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

I'd put my speakers astride the window on the 8' wall and sit opposite, about where the corner juts out.

Manimal likes this.
  16. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

The shape is a bit challenging, but my office is not much bigger and I have a killer system in there and much prefer listening in there with than my den.

Manimal likes this.
  17. cobbler

cobbler Forum Resident

Don't be put off, think of the benefits :-

No TV
    No Fridge/ Freezer buzzing
    No Dishwasher rumbling
    No kids poking your tweeters in
    No one complaining your choice of jazz sounds "like a fire in a pet shop"

I got a separate room last year at the age of 48, treasure it :edthumbs:

tmtomh, Kristofa, Clonesteak and 4 others like this.
  18. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

I just setup a similar size/shape area for my home office/music room. My gear is NAD C516BEE CDP + C316BEE Integrated Amp feeding Music Hall Marimba speakers. It sounds fine, but I will say it does not take much volume to fill the small room with sound. As a result, there is not much headroom for volume adjustments especially with "loud" albums. I wish I had an integrated amp with an input gain adjustment. That would allow for more precise volume adjustments. For that reason, I do like feeding an Airport Express to the amp since the input volume can be adjusted via the iDevice.

Just a real recent experience to share with the OP...have fun setting up the room!

Hogues likes this.
  19. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

No computer, no phone, no solicitors, ....

timind likes this.
  20. Hogues

Thanks! I'm pretty sure that I'm going with a Parasound setup, either the integrated or P5 and a23. I'm thinking of either Salk of Phil's for the monitors and a VPI. Not sure about the TT yet. I'm close to Music Direct so I'm on the lookout for demo gear from there.

21. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

Ah...cool stuff. The Parasound should have tone controls which I recommend in such a small room. I found bright recordings became more so in such an enclosed space. If you can properly treat the room then might not be an issue. But they are good to have just-in-case.

22. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

:laugh:

23. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

An update, I put three acoustic panels in my small room. What a difference it makes! It actually improved the volume headroom on my amp. Highly recommended to others with small listening rooms.

Hogues likes this.
  24. Hogues

That's great to know. If you don't mink, what kind of panels did you use?

25. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

Hmmm. It will be very difficult, bass will be a absolute bitch. Id say yes it can be done, but your going to need some serious treatment , and there isnt a lot of room to spare.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.