Speaker Recomendations

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steelyman, Apr 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steelyman

Steelyman Member Thread Starter

New to this forum & just getting back into vinyl after a long absence , anyone have any recommendations for speakers to go with my Marantz 2230 & newly purchased Dual 1019 UK spec with a CK5 base , budget is around $500.

I know its personal taste & I've been told as much already but should I look for a vintage 70s/80s set or are speakers so much better now & buy new ? Listening preference is jazz/R&B/ T of Power type stuff ,crisp horns with a clear bass , not huge but floor standing or on stands.

thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
    CrazyCatz likes this.
  2. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I would go with some $500. bookshelf speakers. Modern speakers are better than vintage, IMO.

tootull, Mike-48, The Pinhead and 7 others like this.
  3. 4thChoice

4thChoice Forum Resident

Agree, in general, w/Tullman.

Not familiar with this Marantz and there may be (& probably is) a pair of vintage speakers that will pair well with it but too find 'em is the challenge. Specific vintage speaker recommendation - none.

Specific modern speaker recommendation - none. BUT - visit your local brick & mortar stores and listen to a lot of different ones and (ideally) try them in your home. Find some you like and go for 'em. -OR-

IMO, "best bang for your buck" is modern "used" speakers. You can usually find some "modern" used speakers @ 50% or more off retail. Any stores near you accept and then resell trade-ins? How about Craigslist? Ever look at Canuck Audio Mart? Lots listed there, here is one example I found that look good (but in Toronto): Definitive Mythos Two Speakers - Stereo Pair . Not a "bookshelf" but worth a look.

BTW -we talking $500 US or Canadian?

Steelyman and CrazyCatz like this.
  4. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

I know a guy that has a nice set of bookshelf speakers for sale over in the classifieds. ;)

5. Twinsfan007

Twinsfan007 Forum Resident

If you're looking for bookshelf speakers check out the Elac Uni-fi UF5 bookshelfs. They are we above there price point performance wise. Check them out.

BeauZooka likes this.
  6. Helom

Helom Forum member

Many great speakers can be had for $500, though I've never heard an inexpensive horn speaker that sounded good, unless I consider the short horns on my Epos Epics.

I'd definitely buy used since that will keep your wallet from taking a big hit if they don't work out.

Modern speakers are not always better than vintage. I used to believe that until I heard some nicely restored Advents wipe the floor with some expensive modern speakers. Though, it's probably safer to go modern in terms of reliability.

SandAndGlass, CrazyCatz and Manimal like this.
  7. Carraway

Carraway Well-Known Member

I'd probably look at more recent speakers than vintage, although I'm personally tempted whenever I see a set for sale that I pined for but couldn't afford in my student days.

Also, I'd consider where you'll be placing them, how important bass is to you, how far you'll normally be from them, and if you have a preference in what you've heard before. For instance, if you'll be placing them on a bookshelf or very close to a wall then you may not rear ported speakers.

8. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

I'd include active speakers on your list too.

CrazyCatz likes this.
  9. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Focal 706Vs are extremely good sounding. :)

Manimal likes this.
  10. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

In your price range you won't go wrong with Paradgim. Good Canadian company and a great deal for us canucks.
    Just purchased my boss a pair of Mini Monitor v.7's.

11. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

I have become a big fan of Focal. They have a very well made and well engineered product.

4xoddic, Manimal and bluemooze like this.
  12. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

T'mershi Duween and Steelyman like this.
  13. layman

layman Forum Resident

For that budget I would definitely recommend going for something used....for neutral, all-rounders consider the Dynaudio line of speakers.

14. SpeedMorris

SpeedMorris Forum Resident

Music Direct has some other Wharfedale closeout/demos that are certainly very good values. The Diamond 10.2 is a lot of speaker for $300. They have a demo pair of 10.7 floorstanders for $550, originally $1300, if the 2230 can handle them. They are 90dB efficiency and apparently an easy load, but I'm guessing they need ample room behind them. If you have a smaller room, that does favor a standmount.

Wharfedale Diamond 10.7 loudspeaker

I wish I knew more about the Quad speakers. They have a black gloss demo of the 11L for $400.

Shop Music Equipment - Music Direct

15. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
    Steelyman and Adam9 like this.
  16. Helom

Helom Forum member

17. Lebowski

Lebowski Hey, careful man, there's a beverage here!

My previous speakers were the DynAudio Excite X14. It was quite nice sounding and looking. Ultimately I found that they did not fill my room enough, but you should definitely put them on your list if they make a model in your price range. Don't forget to look for pre-owned modern speakers. You can save a ton of money on places like Audiogon and even on this site (but as a new member you can't access our classifieds).

18. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

These are bookshelf speakers I own in the $500 range and think do a good job. Not specific models because some are out of production.

KEF
    Epos
    Paradigm
    Wharfefdale

19. kmurp

kmurp Forum Resident

The trouble with many vintage receivers is power. Many new speakers need 4ohm capable amplification with your Marantz may not offer. You should find out the specs. If that is so, you need easy to drive speakers rated at 8 ohms and hopefully good sensitivity. Therefore, my suggestion is Klipsch. They have a model or two that fits the bill.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  20. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

:confused:

21. vinylvin

vinylvin Forum Resident

I have a 2230 also, I agree with kmurp. The 2230 will distort unless you have high efficiency speakers. It does
    sound great though.

22. Steelyman

thanks for all the advice. I'm thinking of going with some B&W 685S2 bookself speakers , little more than I want to spend , but nice size for my room & they sounded great in the store & seem to have a good reputation. Looking for used first but probably will just buy them real soon.

Matt Richardson likes this.
  23. 4thChoice

4thChoice Forum Resident

Nice choice w/ the 685s, find 'em yet? Let us know when you do and your initial thoughts/impressions (whatever you get).

24. Steelyman

as an up date , I changed my mind with the 685s , I ended up with some mid 70s Celestion Ditton 15XRs , sort of a big bookshelf speaker , they are mint shape ($350. Cdn.) all original, I like them . Mounted on stands 24" high , they sound good , though I was surprised they didn't have a bit more treble as I run the Marantz with the treble turned max. Bass and clarity for singers is fine , I will keep my eye out for some used 685s

I would insert a picture in here of my setup but don't see an option for this , can someone tell me how to do this ?

25. layman

layman Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    I think this is the one.

You made an excellent choice! Be sure to have them looked over by an expert to see if the tweeters are o.k. Problems can develop with older speakers such as loose connections. It might be a very simple issue to fix and get the speakers back running optimally.

BTW, posting a pic is difficult. It looks like you have to have a web hosting service. Perhaps someone with more experience doing this might chime in.

SandAndGlass likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.