Neil Young - Hitchhiker - new Archives (studio?) release?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mbd77, Apr 23, 2017.

1. RoyalPineapple

RoyalPineapple It ain't me in the photo, babe.

Yes, I'm sure the same "lure the fanbase into buying everything 3 times" strategy will be used again this time around.

Worth noting too that he released Rust Never Sleeps and Human Highway on blu-ray last year, and has just re-released the official albums from the same period. We know he's been working on Dume and Hitchhiker. So it's definitely building up to something.

He released Filmore 1970 over 10 years ago, and since then we've had a fairly constant flow of quality Archive releases, including one major box set. A lot has happened in a comparatively short space of time. To put it into context: he first mentioned his plan for a career-spanning Archive box set about 29 years ago. In another 29 years, he will be 100 years old. Time has a way of moving quicker towards the end.

ARK, Sean, Matthew Tate and 1 other person like this.
  2. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Remember Lucky Thirteen's liner notes talked about what would be on that box set as well as a video archive release back in 1993? Crazy!

ARK, Sean, Matthew Tate and 2 others like this.
  3. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

It's unbelievable, the amount of material he puts out, yet none of it is good enough until it's branded "ARCHIVES 2"!!!!!!

Just recently, the Pono player, Earth, Peace Trail, Monsanto Years, all ORS series in impeccable Pono 24/192, two Blu Rays of his films, Bluenote Cafe vinyl box & Pono FLAC, A Letter Home boxed set, ORS all analog boxed set, Decade for RSD, Time Fades Away on CD after decades of whining ... and like said above, basically one performance series release per year. I'm likely missing stuff, too.

ARK, Sean, Stone Turntable and 2 others like this.
  4. does anybody know whether the Original Release Series inclusion of Time Fades Away means we'll finally get a standalone release of it on CD? Or do I have to buy the ORS to get TFA?

5. Brother Maynard

Brother Maynard Forum Resident

So, because you're not a fan of CD's it's "whining"?

6. Brother Maynard

Brother Maynard Forum Resident

I won't buy it either way unless I'm certain it won't also be in Archives II. I'm guessing it won't be because of the other recording from that tour Neil's said would be included.

7. Soul Music Fan

Soul Music Fan Forum Resident

I take your point and respect the artist's wishes to release whatever he wants but Neil has been his own worst enemy when discussing the Archives. If he'd had followed Dylan's example of playing down the quality of what's in the unreleased vault or say Van or Springsteen..."there's a lot a unreleased material" etc.
    But Neil has boasted of the quality of his unreleased music in Archives 2. It may be justified but I think it's tended to overshadow what he actually has released in the last 10 years or so. Even Bluenote Café seemed to slip out with little fanfare.

8. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Exactly. Because it isn't!

Matthew Tate and James Bennett like this.
  9. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

I'll just keep enjoying "On the Beach". One of his best.
    When Neil's bumming, we win.

10. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i have been asking this for weeks now, and i also want to know if both sets will be HDCD.

finding any kind info about these 2 sets is like finding a needle in the proverbial haystack.

qtrules likes this.
  11. FrankieFontaine

FrankieFontaine "Just An Hippie Dream"

Right, we can only assume but no one knows since there hasn't been any official press releases nor addition to Neil's Warner online store.

12. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All! Thread Starter

No information apart from what's on Amazon.com. We'll see.

13. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

The artwork appearing on Burden's site may have been a small error; Mr. Burden probably didn't suspect that Thrasher's Wheat would bring it all front-and-center with Neil Young fans who check the site daily.
    We all know how things get marketed. Elliot Roberts alluded to Archives Vol. 2 for 2017, and Hitchhiker, as well as a handful of other unreleased albums, might be available as part of the box set. It may be a while before you can get them individually. That's marketing.
    Although, with Archives Vol. 1, you could purchase each CD or DVD/BluRay separately (on Neil's website), but I'm not sure if that was available at the time of release, or shortly afterwards.

14. RoyalPineapple

Most likely Neil's management will again use the more $$$ tactic of selling the hardcore fans x, y and z individually and then selling us a boxset combining x, y and z (with a few others included to make the purchase necessary).

I'm assuming the Official Release Series will be part of any box set or subcription-based web archive, probably alongside the Rust Never Sleeps and Human Highway films (released individually last year).

It's remotely possible the artwork for Hitchhiker was put up without anyone forseeing it would attract interest among fans. It seems extremely unlikely.

15. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

It was put up on his album cover designer's site, not Neil's. I think it's perfectly likely that he didn't think it would draw any attention. I mean, how often do you or anyone else visit Gary Burden's website's discography page? He must've noticed a spike in page hits since someone stumbled on it and posted the link.

ExHead likes this.
  16. moonshiner

moonshiner Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    it doesn't look like a fan compilation to me

Claudio Dirani, Cassius, Sean and 4 others like this.
  17. EwaWoowa

EwaWoowa Sexiest Monkey Ever...

That has been discredited as fake. (ie: it's not a real Reprise Records or Recording Studio document.)

Though it is *reputed* to be an accurate fake...
    (ie: the information in it is accurate, and that would have been the correct tracklisting for the album.)

Yorick likes this.
  18. RoyalPineapple

Fair enough, but isn't the whole point of putting something on your website so other people can see it? If he didn't want people to see it then perhaps uploading it in the first place was quite an odd thing to do.

Neil Young is a famous musician with a still-sizeable and enthusiastic fan base. Gary Burden is aware of this.

19. Ok I'll bite.CD is still the largest selling format by far.There is nothing easy about vinyl.Last year vinyl sales declined by nearly the same percentage amount as CD and downloads by a considerably larger percentage amount.Streaming provides a lousy revenue return to artists.
    I get it that you obviously have a myopic dislike of CD's but you can't be entirely fact free.Or maybe the comment is meant as parody in which case it makes more sense.

bobcat and Lands End Drums like this.
  20. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

More accurately, it was the hardcore fans buying those individual releases because they couldn't wait for the boxed set. The Fillmore and Massey Hall shows were widely know to be included in the box, they just put those shows individually to help calm down impatient fans who were complaining about the delays. Then, surprise surprise, those same fans complained that they "had to buy it again". I waited, and bought it once, and I'll do the same with the next box, whenever it comes around.

21. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

Well, CDs may be the biggest format right now, but it doesn't mean it ain't dying. It also requires a rather large infrastructure to get it to people. Streaming and high quality downloads do not.

I'm 37, and nobody I know has bought a CD in years. None. It's a declining format, and shops are shuttering left and right. A lot, if not most of my friends ripped and gave away their CD collections.

I really don't care what Neil puts out on what format. There'll be options to listen to it; and I'm pretty sure it'll be the formats I listed: HD-FLAC, vinyl & streaming. MAYBE a little CD boxset a year after. Maybe.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
    Cassius and DTK like this.
  22. FrankieFontaine

FrankieFontaine "Just An Hippie Dream"

Are you sure, I thought downloads and streaming are selling more than CD's?

23. RoyalPineapple

Presumably you've never worked in marketing or artist management.

For instance, an example off the top of my head: why were there 3 different versions of Archives Vol 1? Because having 3 options (not 2) greatly increases the likelihood that the average consumer will purchase at least the second most-expensive option. This is standard practice; literally textbook marketing*.

Why are tour dates often released only a few at a time? That one is obvious. Because it's been consistently shown to increase the amount of shows customers are willing to pay to attend. So, if "maximum number of tickets sold" is your goal, it makes sense to drip-feed the tour dates. As frustrating as that is for fans.

I'll also point out that the details of the contents of the Archive box was not confirmed until after the very early Performance Series releases went on sale.

So no, they (management) don't do anything just because the fan base "complain about the delays". That's not how it works. There job is to find clever and psychological ways to maximise profit from a still sizeable-but-declining number of paying fans. Note that I'm not saying this is necessarily a bad thing (it's their job).

*For those interested in more on this subject, a great place to start is Robert Cialdini's Influence (one of the classic marketing books that is second-nature to every salesman, manager or marketer in the world). It's also a humbling eye-opener into how other people can control our choices without us ever realising it.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
    ARK and DTK like this.
  24. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

Vinyl sales rose 26% in 2016: See the 25 top-selling releases

in case you don't want to click the link, the articles states vinyl sales increased by 26 percent in 2016.

Sean and 500Homeruns like this.
  25. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

Kevin j likes this.