Rod Stewart album by album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Matthew Tate, Mar 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rs4951

rs4951 Forum Resident

There is a thread on these tracks from a while back...title refers to remasters but they are not....you can buy the bonus tracks on itunes without buying the whole albums..anf many of them are worth it.

dee, Clanceman and Matthew Tate like this.
  2. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident Thread Starter

up next

Every Beat of My Heart aka Rod Stewart (1986)

Track Listing

1. Here to Eternity
    2. Another Heartache
    3. A Night Like This
    5. Red Hot in Black
    6. Love Touch
    7. In My Own Crazy Way
    8. Every Beat of My Heart
    9. Ten Days of Rain
    10. In My Life

3. kollektionist

kollektionist Forum Resident

Not a bad album, but nothing really stands out here. It's just too much from the same blueprint. Nevertheless, most of these are powerful songs and as usual, Rod is in fine form. But is it just me or are things slowly but surely slipping downhill...?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. rs4951

rs4951 Forum Resident

1986, Every beat of my heart / Rod Stewart.
    [aka “Bob Stewart’s sons new album”]

Coming a full two years after Camouflage, Rod had enough time to produce a classic and come up with an album title. He didn’t quite manage either. This is a solid, slightly above average, album but, despite having one big hit on each side of the Atlantic in “Love touch” in the US and the title track (lead single that became a title track rather than the other way around) in Europe along with a few fine album tracks, I think it lacks a standout song. Rod again went with a big name producer in Bob Ezrin. Chic’s Nile Rodgers was also involved in at least one track but it’s not clear how far that advanced.

There was an obvious effort to bring back a level of humanity to Rod after the somewhat synthetic imagery on Camouflage and Body Wishes, but nonetheless I expect the overcoat he sports on the cover cost a bit more than the old raincoat he had in 1969.

The move towards session players that started with Camouflage was in full flow here with the likes of Jim Cregan being used sparingly. Nils Lofgren was one of eight guitarists credited but his work (including Hard Lesson To Learn) did not make the final cut.

In another bid to recall former glories, the album follows the fast side, slow side format of his earlier Warner albums. The fast side contains the wonderful story-song “Here to Eternity” (Rod claims that Warner rejected the first version because the lyrics were too violent), and standard Rod-rockers “A night like this” and “Red hot in black” – the latter having wonderful piano playing by Kevin Savigar who came into his own on this album, co-writing five of the songs with Rod.

Also featured is “Another Heartache”. Originally written as a song called “Temptation” by Bryan Adams and Jim Vallance, Rod liked the song but hated the chorus. After much debate between the parties involved, Rod bet a $10,000 charity donation that he could have a hit with his own chorus. He paid up apparently when the single stalled just outside the Top 50 on both sides of the pond. I quite like this track and enjoy the chorus. Reading the songwriting credits you would think Rod wrote eight of the ten songs but in reality he took two of those songs – “Temptation” and Frankie Millers “In my own crazy way” - and added to them thus earning a credit.

The slow side contains the wonderful and under-appreciated “In my own crazy way”, a good cover of” In my Life” (check out the Sessions version – Rod and piano only) and the aforementioned singles. Nothing hits the heights of his seventies classic ballads, but the non-singles in particular are pretty good fare.

The expanded digital version that was released in 2009 contains the much sought 12” b’side “Hard lesson to learn” (dropped from the album because Rod thought that “it didn’t go anywhere”, shows what he knows – it’s a fan favourite). This song also reappeared in different form on Sessions. The extended versions of “Another Heartache” (not as good as the album version, Rod’s voice seems to have been sped up) and “Love touch” (better than the album version) are both included. Two alternative versions of albums tracks are well worth checking out – “Red hot in black” and “In my own Crazy way”.

One outtake from the sessions has emerged – the over seven minute long and not quiet complete lyrically “Heaven”. Another song “Love is a four letter word” was rejected, tried again for Out of Order, rejected again and this second attempt finally turned up on Sessions in 2009. Why he bothered with it twice beats me, it is a very average song and sounds like it spawned bits of “No Holding Back” and “If Only” from 1991’s Vagabond heart. There will never be a deluxe of this album, but with the outtakes, remixes and the inclusion of the original lyrics to “Here to eternity” and the original chorus for “Temptation”, it would be an interesting package.

krock2009, dee, duggan and 2 others like this.
  5. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Was wondering if most are repeated in the Sessions Box? If not, then I'll delete (from my completely full iPod classic) the albums that I ripped yrs ago from cd to iTunes & replace with these Mastered for ITunes Rod albums w bonus tracks :righton:

6. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

A fine assessment of this record. I own the original vinyl which intend to spin over the weekend.

I went back & listened to a few tracks late last night. As I've stated before, I'm a relentless apologist for all of Rods recordings, save for "Songbook" which I would've preferred to be a one off project.

In retrospect, "Every Beat Of My Heart" ended up, along with the rock covers album & the last 2 Songbook records, the least listened to album by me. No good reason for it after listening to a few cuts last night. Maybe just life, timing, and reading many times that Rod didn't like "Love Touch." When the man says he doesn't like it....I listen. Lol. My bad.

This thread has just reinforced my (critics be damned) opinion that there aren't really any bad Rod Stewart records. Why? Because Rod Stewart sings on Rod Stewart records. As I go back and listen to songs on say even "Body Wishes," or "Camo," .... they may not all be great songs, but Rod is, for my taste, the greatest rock & roll singer (solo act for sure) that ever lived, while I have lived & have seen perform so many times. Had I grown up & seen Elvis dozens of times I may feel differently.

My rank of those I grew up with, connected to and have seen "live" far too many times remains: Mick Jagger - greatest frontman of my favorite band. David Lee Roth follows. Rod Stewart is the greatest singer/performer (solo act) & Elvis the greatest recorded act (who my Dad raised me on.)

Great thread @Matthew Tate .....thouroughly enjoyed the familiar (& some new) Rod Stewart thread contributors.

There's a lot to love coming up: Vagabond, When We Were The New Boys, Unplugged, Time, & Another Country are all in regular rotation in my home & forevermore.

laf848, Jonboy, dee and 2 others like this.
  7. rs4951

rs4951 Forum Resident

I am almost certain that there is nothing repeated...and also note that the albums were not freshly remastered for that 2009 release.

Matthew Tate and Clanceman like this.
  8. rediffusion

rediffusion Forum Resident

Why does Wikipedia state that Stewart was the sole composer of Maggie May?
    Maggie May - Wikipedia
    Surely it was a Stewart/Quittenton co-write, correct? The same credit is also on the Every Picture Tells a Story entry

9. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

You have it right & Wiki is wrong if this is the case.

Matthew Tate and rediffusion like this.
  10. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

Many of the tracks from the expanded issues on iTunes are not in the Sessions box, at least from what I remember. I have been wanting to pick up some of the expanded tracks but have not done so yet.

You can buy some of the individual tracks from 7digital.com is lossless format.

Clanceman, dee and Matthew Tate like this.
  11. duggan

duggan Senior Member

Why is this album so much better than its immediate predecessor?
    1. No complete duds, even Love Touch succeeds within its own rather limited 80s pure pop boundaries. In My Own Special Way is merely lacking a Memphis style arrangement
    2. At least two really good tracks, Here to Eternity and Every Beat of My Heart. Whilst the latter may be Rod's umpteenth rewrite of Auld Lang Syne it is a truly emotional song for those of us who have left their country of birth.
    3. A Night Like This and Red Hot In Black are fairly decent second tier Faces style tracks
    4. In My Life and Ten Days work surprisingly well
    5. Effective track sequencing, the whole album flows as well as the sublime first side of Tonight I'm Yours
    Why is it not as good as its immediate successor?
    1. Limited involvement from Bernard Edwards, Tony Thompson and Andy Taylor

Clanceman, rs4951 and Matthew Tate like this.
  12. duggan

duggan Senior Member

Echoing Clanceman, thanks go to Matthew Tate for running this excellent thread.

csnfan, Clanceman, rs4951 and 2 others like this.
  13. Matthew Tate

I'm giving this one a new lesson and will post my thoughts. then its onto Out of Order one of my favorite rod albums

Clanceman, rs4951 and dee like this.
  14. dee

dee Senior Member

+1 on the expanded album and Sessions versions of Red Hot in Black and In My Life Also, the quieter version of Hard Lesson (without the power ballad middle section - drums, etc - iirc it's the expanded album version?) I find compelling and affecting. +1 on In My Own Crazy Way expanded edition. (I do not recall ever hearing this album in full, then or since, so will give it a listen I hope, over the weekend.

Clanceman, rs4951 and Matthew Tate like this.
  15. rs4951

rs4951 Forum Resident

The power station guys were not involved at all in this album...

..but your point is relevant in the the context of production....this album, like most Warner albums, had better songs than the final product suggested..

My new theory..outside of stuff that Rod himself produced or at least co-produced, only Trevor Horn aided rather than hindered Rod's material.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
    duggan and Matthew Tate like this.
  16. Matthew Tate

should be new listen lol. autocorrect

Clanceman likes this.
  17. Matthew Tate

my thoughts

Every Beat of My Heart aka Rod Stewart (1986)

the 80's over production is toned a bit here and surprise the album is a bit better than the previous two. whats funny though is the two bigger hits from this album are weaker compared to the big hits from the last two albums. not sure how that happened but i bet the singles caused a few people to pass on this album. the album starts off strong with one of those great rod storytelling tunes in "here to eternity". "another heartache" follows. i like this song. a bit overdone with some 80's stuff but not too bad. "a night like this" tries to rock out. it sounds a bit restrained. good song though. "who's gonna take me home" is a misguided tune. it has potential but doesn't work. lyrics aren't that great either. "red hot in black" is probably the best rock tune on the album. again a bit restrained sounding but good.

the huge hit "love touch" is catchy but i can see why rod doesn't like it. its not that good of a song. "in my own crazy way" has a nice motown/soul feel though. best tune on the slower half of the album. i don't like the title track at all. all i have to say about that."ten days of rain" also annoys me a bit. the album closes with a great version of "in my life".

rod seems to have found a better balance on this album of the 80's production and his style. rods vocal performance really carries the album.

duggan, dee, rs4951 and 1 other person like this.
  18. rs4951

rs4951 Forum Resident

One thing about this album is the sheer quantity of musicians and singers..." a cast of thousands". Far from a band situation.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

It is difficult for me to contribute much to these 1980's albums. I have not listened to most of them in many years. Many of Rod's hits/anthology compilations have done a good job of highlighting the best from the decade. I simply do not recall coming across many under-the-radar gems from these albums, for the most part, the hits and radio staples were the best cuts, at least to this set of ears. That said, I think a very good single disc, or perhaps double disc (which could be a stretch) configuration, can represent this period very well. There was a lot of filler, but the good stuff was quite good. Clearly Rod's most consistent and best days were behind him at this point, but he still was often good for one-to-two quality songs per album.

20. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Speaking of Rod's 1980's era music, a shout-out has to be given to his collaboration with Jeff Beck on People Get Ready. Rod sings his guts out, and delivers his most passionate vocal of the decade. Too bad it wound up on one of Jeff Beck's worst albums, Flash, but even without the extra promotion and increase of sales it would have received on a Rod Stewart album, it was definitely a highlight from Rod's 1980's body of work.

21. Matthew Tate

up next

Out of Order (1988)

Track Listing
    1. Lost in You
    2. The Wild Horse
    3. Lethal Dose of Love
    4. Forever Young
    5. My Heart Can't Tell You No
    6. Dynamite
    7. Nobody Knows You When You're Down and Out
    8. Crazy About Her
    9. Try a Little Tenderness
    10. When I Was Your Man
    11. Almost Illegal

laf848 and Clanceman like this.
  22. kollektionist

kollektionist Forum Resident

No idea what the single was off this album. Was there even one ? Still not a bad album. Nothing exceptional though. Don't really remember a lot about it, which kinda says it all. In a way it doesn't do things justice by judging the albums by the songs, because, as usual, Rod is in fine voice. Just like Joe Cocker, Robert Palmer and so many other singers, you're only as strong as the song, regardless of the vocal performance.

23. Matthew Tate

are you being sarcastic?

Clanceman and rs4951 like this.
  24. rs4951

rs4951 Forum Resident

Four Top 12 hits on Billboard....hus best showing ever on that front. And for once they got ALL the singles right IMO.

laf848, Clanceman and Matthew Tate like this.
  25. Matthew Tate

I think "the wild horse" should have been the last released heavily promoted single

duggan and Clanceman like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.