Record Store Day 2017 Sound Quality And Music Reviews

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AnalogJ, Apr 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guy1

guy1 Forum Resident

Did anyone else get the Just Say 50 Sire box set? Any comments on the sound quality?

jimhb likes this.
  2. putz

putz Forum Resident

I don't know about that. I've smoked my share of skunk weed in Jersey.

mooseman, AcidPunk15 and Vinyl Addict like this.
  3. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

Mhm. There's some skunky skunk out there.

Blender and Vinyl Addict like this.
  4. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

I haven't heard that, but you don't get the impression that it's a needledrop?

Because my gut reaction would be that it would be, and not a good one at that. Can you comment further on the sound quality?

5. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

The original price - 22€ - was not bad but.... :whistle:

6. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

C'mon Neon you know what shipping to the US plus gouging on top of that would cost me, I'll wait :laugh:

Neonbeam likes this.
  7. DannyG

DannyG Forum Resident

I couldn't tell you, but it definitely didn't smell like weed to me.

8. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

I really wanted to like this release but it sounds more like it was mastered from an AM radio tape. I've never heard the original LP, and I don't really know what Flo and Eddie's quality control is, but the RSD pressing is a very underwhelming listen.

9. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959 Thread Starter

A retailer must state with a sign or on the receipt "all sales final". Otherwise they are obligated to take back defective merchandise.

10. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

The AIC sounds really good for a 7". I'm not sure these songs were even recorded analog, but the pressing is open and doesn't sound "digital" or compressed. And of course the songs are all great, and the packaging is cool.

Both my stores had copies left over. One owner surmised a regular 12" would've sold out right away. Who knows.

Grow Fins likes this.
  11. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Still cannot get over how good the art pepper sounds! Super clean and clear, nice warmth and you can hear the air in the room, very impressive.

12. oldjollymon

oldjollymon right channel den/left channel kitchen

It's mp3 @320. Just listened to the LP, which I didn't really know before, & liked it alright, esp. the quirky percussion backing the more traditional orchestral instruments. Unipak cover w/ notes on the inside, which I assume are a repro of the original.

FrixFrixFrix likes this.
  13. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Agree about the SRV album. Almost sounds like it was sourced from an FM broadcast. That being said, the music trumps the SQ. His playing was smoking hot that night.

reeltime likes this.
  14. MondoFanM

MondoFanM Member from ATX

I was really happy with the Peter Hook live album releases. Vinyl is flat and well-pressed, no clicks or pops. Very clean sounding. I've seen him twice and it's like I'm at a show.

Let The Eat Vinyl released the set. I was lucky Waterloo got them. They were listed as U.K. exclusive.

JeffMo, jimhb and c-eling like this.
  15. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Thanks for the reminder, I need to pick these up. Let Them did a nice job on a Killing Joke title I have :)

16. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Your fascination with synthiepop always makes me think you are European:angel:

JeffMo and c-eling like this.
  17. Melllvar

Melllvar No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!

I have it. My copy is flat with no surface noise. Overall sound quality is pretty good.

guy1 likes this.
  18. Yayastone

Yayastone Forum Resident

Hows the smiths singel?
    Hopefully it's not a needle drop.
    It's worth messaging Modern Harmonic about their sources

Sounds great to me!

izgoblin likes this.
  19. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

When when his playing ever not smoking hot? And when did his albums ever sound good? What an amazing player though - I don't think I ever heard him play a bad lick. :cool:

Tommyboy likes this.
  20. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

That's cool nut it's missing the point, perhaps my post wasn't clear.

If you want to buy a picture disc then great, but know primarily you are buying a 'collectors item', by definition the most important factor in making the product isn't great sound quality. If it does sound ok then that's a bonus. But to decide on whether you are going to buy it based on sound quality is meaningless, as that's really not the point.

21. guy1

guy1 Forum Resident

I've found that quite a few recent picture discs have sounded much better than they used to years ago.

22. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

How in the world do you flatten a warped album without causing damage? Never heard this could be done properly and not sure I would even want to try it. Curious to what you did...

23. Strummergas

Strummergas Senior Member

Vinyl Flat Home

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  24. gohill

gohill Senior Member

Mine was £28. Just listened to the first disc of Milk And Kisses (the album proper) and strangely this is the first time i have liked it; although it is still their least essential album. I have had the original cd since release day and it has always passed me by as really quite bland compared to the 4AD albums and even its predecessor, FCC. Played the cd last week for the first time in ages when trying to decide whether to go for these RSD vinyl releases and it had the same blancmange effect. Of course i ended up buying both anyway despite initially not intending to. Granted that the vinyl of Milk... does not really sound much different to the original cd, but it seems to be work for me on vinyl broken up over the 2 sides. Can't really comment on the b-side material as i only have that on the rather harsh sounding Lullabies To Violaine cd set. It is a super quiet pressing with no flaws, warps or anything so that is a plus. Four Calendar Café was the same, a perfect unblemished pressing.

jimhb likes this.
  25. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I do it all the time. I have a device called the Vinyl Flat. Just google it. It can be used with a pouch that heats to maybe 120 F or so. Effective, pretty affordable and very safe. Most modern vinyl that's warped will be rendered completely flat. The occasional LP that isn't completely flat is usually greatly improved. Indispensable IMO.

Vinyl Addict likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.