Just for discussion purpose; someone close to me is selling a used Audio Research REF 150

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Music!, Apr 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Music!

Music! Forum Resident Thread Starter

What's a good used price for that amp?

Would it be too much for my system? meaning down the spiral of upgrades? I'm happy with what I have now, and, if you check my older posts, I'm always talking about upgrading components, but rarely do.

So this thread just for discussion purposes. : )

2. Steve0

Steve0 Audio Banana

Its a very nice amp that will serve you well for many many years. I had one in my setup a few months ago, on loan, and did not want to give it back.

Plays exceptionally well with vocals and acoustic music. Like next level realism. Solid PRAT and exercised delicate control with complex passages using 91DB efficient speakers. Compared to my VX5 solid state amp, I preferred the ref 150 for acoustic and vocals and found the vx5 to be better placed due to more power for classical, rock and hip hop.

I wish I had funds spare to own both amps because I wish I owned both.

The Cary kit should pair well with it and if you can find one, snaffle a Ref 3 pre to go with it for sonic nirvana. Best double check the input requirement for the pre to make sure the ref 150 will be OK with it. and of course, a home demo is in order :D

If the price is right and it pairs well with your current pre, I vote for an upgrade!

3. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

So that is 150wpc, tube power and 2 channel?

In good shape anything less than $5,000 is a good deal. That is an uncommon amount of tube power and gives a bunch of options for driving speakers.

I think the wrap against arc in general is it is very clean and clinical which I count as a good thing.

I'm betting that thing would be like running a space heater in your listening room. I'd keep it out of a rack, away from other equipment with plenty of air around it. ARC generally comes up as a great deal used. I have a feeling that if you could see the tubes in the amp, it would sell for more money.

4. Ken Clark

Ken Clark Forum Resident

For someone like me that would be a huge step up, but you have some really nice gear already. Any chance you can borrow it to compare again the Cary? Reviews of this ARC are stellar.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  5. Guildx500

Guildx500 Forum Resident

Audio Research and Vandersteens is a great combo. I wouldn't hesitate if the price is right.

BD2665 likes this.
  6. Music!

Music! Forum Resident Thread Starter

I bought it! Got it home Tuesday morning. I listened to quite a few LPs and CDs. This amp is definitely more detailed and has a much bigger sound stage. Compatibility with my equipment has been good. I still have a discrepancy between CD and LP clarity, due to my phono pre I think. I'm going to see about an improved phono pre sometime and a ARC preamp, but not anytime soon.

I didn't get to audition at home before I bought it, but I did listen to the seller's system. He was driving Magico Q3s with it and his system was definitely nicer than mine.

Overall I'm super happy! Thanks for the help!

On a side note, the day after I bought it I had a dream that I turned it on and a tube went out. I opened up the case and instead of having tubes, some slots had Corona bottles in them. : )

head_unit and Steve0 like this.
  7. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

:laugh:

8. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

If you find your sound is somewhat bass heavy, change out those bottles for Corona Light. And if the sound is overly sweet, add a little salt and lemon...

Steve0 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.